Matt Shepard Out as Tigers PBP, Jason Benetti In.

mtutiger

12 minutes ago, ben9753 said:

Can someone tell me what’s the story? I don’t do twitter and don’t read much news outside this forum. There’s been lots of hinting here but not a full picture of what’s going on. 

A women who was a 12 year old member of Craig Monroe's spring training host family accused him of unspeakable acts at that age and eventually grooming and pimping her out for years to follow.

OK, so, Craig Monroe was ordered to leave the ballpark within minutes of the post coming to light, even though the post was deleted in those minutes between when it was posted and when he was sent packing. That tells me pretty conclusively that the Tigers and Bally were waiting for any opportunity to get rid of him. I can't hazard a guess as to what else might have been happening between the scenes, but I could see during the very first broadcast that star jock Craig Monroe was big-timing Jason Benetti, the nerdy gimpy new kid with the googly eyes, and I gotta believe that had at least something to do with it.

The thing from the story that practically shocked me was that Monroe was not even an employee of either Bally or the team, that he was a contractor working on a game-to-game basis without health or any other benefits, and without any guaranteed minimum of games. I don't know whether that's common for in-game analysts for the Tigers, or for teams in general.

Point is, though, we have most definitely seen the last of Craig Monroe, and speaking only in terms of his performance on the air, I couldn't be happier about it.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, chasfh said:

OK, so, Craig Monroe was ordered to leave the ballpark within minutes of the post coming to light, even though the post was deleted in those minutes between when it was posted and when he was sent packing. That tells me pretty conclusively that the Tigers and Bally were waiting for any opportunity to get rid of him. I can't hazard a guess as to what else might have been happening between the scenes, but I could see during the very first broadcast that star jock Craig Monroe was big-timing Jason Benetti, the nerdy gimpy new kid with the googly eyes, and I gotta believe that had at least something to do with it.

The thing from the story that practically shocked me was that Monroe was not even an employee of either Bally or the team, that he was a contractor working on a game-to-game basis without health or any other benefits, and without any guaranteed minimum of games. I don't know whether that's common for in-game analysts for the Tigers, or for teams in general.

Point is, though, we have most definitely seen the last of Craig Monroe, and speaking only in terms of his performance on the air, I couldn't be happier about it.

It might be more common than you think.  My reason for saying that is during either COVID or a work stoppage it was mentioned that  Ken Daniels, play by play guy for the red wings was an independent contractor.   I could see it being easier for all involved.  “Here, you get $2500 a day when working for us.  You figure out the taxes.  Payable to CM LLC”.   Especially in a situation like sports where you have multiple jurisdictions and counties involved. 

I don’t think his on air performance had anything to do with their decision.  Once you see those allegations surface you cut bait as fast as you can.  And that’s one reason you to the independent route.  Far less employment rules.  

• Like 1

On 7/2/2024 at 7:45 PM, Tigermojo said:

Did you notice Hayman, Bigger, Beer, Coaster?

What, were the law firms of Dewey, Cheatem, and Howe and Howard, Fine, and Howard otherwise engaged?

On 7/2/2024 at 4:43 PM, oblong said:

Craig responded via attorneys

"Craig Monroe takes allegations of this nature very seriously and would never commit or condone such despicable conduct."

That's vehement? Really? Looks pretty measured and lawyerly to me. is Dave Boucher engaging in adverb inflation here for clicks?