2023 MLB Playoffs

Toddwert

8 hours ago, Dan Gilmore said:

If this offseason had a broad crop of position player FAs, I would be on board with signing a few. Maybe next year? This year, get FA arms while there are solid options there, hope to add a bat if it makes sense?

There’s also the trade route.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, casimir said:

There’s also the trade route.

I know I sound like a broken record, but we should grab a superstar hitter from the Padres.  I don’t think they can afford them all.  One elite bat would make a huge difference and help everyone else out.

Edited by Tenacious D
  • Like 1

On 10/24/2023 at 9:40 PM, Tenacious D said:

I predict very low ratings.  I doubt America, outside of Phoenix, can name a single DBack.

According to a friend of mine, who lives in Arizona, they’re not that big of a deal even in Phoenix. I find this hard to believe, but my friend still lives in Tucson and has been there for 50 years and although that’s not Phoenix he’s a lot closer to the situation than I am. Everyone living in Phoenix — or almost everyone — is from someplace else. It’s not like it has a stable cross generational fanbase like the Tigers. 

• Like 1

Oh my heck. This might be the only off-season in a long time I’ve actually been interested in. My busy schedule of partying with ladies swimwear models and movie stars doesn’t usually leave much time for the off-season. But I am prepared to be disappointed. I’m not qualified to speculate about anything, except for the possibility of being disappointed.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, IdahoBert said:

According to a friend of mine, who lives in Arizona, they’re not that big of a deal even in Phoenix. I find this hard to believe, but my friend still lives in Tucson and has been there for 50 years and although that’s not Phoenix he’s a lot closer to the situation than I am. Everyone living in Phoenix — or almost everyone — is from someplace else. It’s not like it has a stable cross generational fanbase like the Tigers. 

Maybe that’s why I don’t like them—that and the fact that they won a ring four years into their damn existence. Just like the Marlins won theirs in their fifth year.

It’s so sad to see geographical bases that don’t really care about their teams, like the Florida teams or Arizona or the Braves, get decent teams that go to playoffs while loyal fan bases like ours suffer. I’m optimistic about the direction of our team, though, and I’m ready for some October baseball instead of October golf.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

I know I sound like a broken record, but we should grab a superstar hitter from the Padres.  I don’t think they can afford them all.  One elite bat would make a huge difference and help everyone else out.

This doesn’t sound as ridiculous a proposition now as it might have a couple of months ago, since when we’ve seen just what a clown show that organization is.

10 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

Yamamoto, Hader, and Tatis if we can finagle that trade...

This, on the other hand … 😉😅

12 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

Yes.

11 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

Yamamoto, Hader, and Tatis if we can finagle that trade...

No.  I think that's too long term of a salary to entertain.  I think it is less onerous than Cabrera's in terms of dollar value (inflationary), in terms of its end vs player age, and in terms of defensive spectrum & player physicality and the aging progression.

I know others have mentioned Soto, but I think the request will be too high to engage given his current contract status.

I had thought Kim would be the guy to go after.  He addresses a need on the IF and OBP.  I'm not sure what his 2025 mutual option is.  My guess is that he ends up a FA after 2024.

26 minutes ago, casimir said:

Gonna be weird seeing Madison Bumgarner at the Arizona ring ceremony, isn't it?

Very. Had he not quit on himself and his team, he could possibly be facing Bochy in the World Series. 
I imagine everyone saw that he texted Bochy before game seven of the Houston series informing Bochy he was ready to pitch if he needed him. Of course, that was a play on the 2014 World Series.

33 minutes ago, casimir said:

I had thought Kim would be the guy to go after.  He addresses a need on the IF and OBP.  I'm not sure what his 2025 mutual option is.  My guess is that he ends up a FA after 2024.

I would be good with obtaining Kim if that's doable for us... It probably would include 1 of Keith or Jung, just a guess, but flip a coin on which one to send back over... plus other (minor league) secondary pieces, like a Flores or Hurter, my guess...

You never say never because who knows who may offer what - but as a general propositions I tend to doubt you will see the Tigers move young talent in trades for expensive established players. Hard to ignore all the talk about building sustainable competitiveness that we have heard since Chris Ilitch took over. Whether we agree or not it is what it is. That was Ilitch's mandate to Avila and I think it's a good bet it was exactly the same mandate to Harris. I think under C.I. we'll continue to see willingness to make middle of the road forays into the FA market but hoarding of their own young players, at least until we get to a point where we have enough talent that good players are being blocked by other good players. We're still some way from there!

2 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

I would be good with obtaining Kim if that's doable for us... It probably would include 1 of Keith or Jung, just a guess, but flip a coin on which one to send back over... plus other (minor league) secondary pieces, like a Flores or Hurter, my guess...

Everything is relative to the deal that's made.  I wouldn't want to give up too much for only one guaranteed season.  Absorb Carpenter's contract and get Kim with that for a run of the mill RP in the minors, that's fine.  That deal probably isn't there.

I'm good with moving one of Jung/Keith.  I think they should gauge trade interest to be honest.  They seem somewhat duplicative.  Promising looking lefty bat that fits adequately at one of 2B/3B, but not quite solidly.  That's a bit generic, but it sounds like that's about what the Tigers have there.  So, how can they leverage that surplus to address a need?

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

You never say never because who knows who may offer what - but as a general propositions I tend to doubt you will see the Tigers move young talent in trades for expensive established players. Hard to ignore all the talk about building sustainable competitiveness that we have heard since Chris Ilitch took over. Whether we agree or not it is what it is.

It also doesn't make sense to liquidate all our minor league talent for Established Major Leaguers™ until it is established that the Harris regime is unable to develop minor league talent in the same way the Avila and Dombrowski regimes were.

Edited by chasfh