2023 MLB Playoffs

Toddwert

2 hours ago, oblong said:

I think he's done.  Very admirable career.  Lived up to his contract, rare for a pitcher to do that.  I'm glad he was a Tiger.  His performance out of the bullpen in 2013 was one of the greatest moments we saw during that 2011-2013 run.

I don't know that he's done yet.  He had a pretty good season.

Rangers look like they are going to be a problem for years to come. Great farm system, ownership that actually spends money on free agents, and an aggressive GM who isn't afraid of either the salary scolds or the prospect scolds.

and some of their free agents signings - gasp - did not pan out. the shame must be too much for them to bear. i hope they find something to do to distract themselves from those failures.

10 hours ago, oblong said:

Max didn’t make it out of the third but he didn’t exactly implode. 

I know the Rangers have said he's ready, but its probably just ready enough.  A few innings out of him at whatever % he is now is probably better than other 100% options that they have.  I think Scherzer has a reputation for being honest about when he has gas left or when he's done during a game, so that self honesty helps.  And Bochy & Maddux are probably a good manager & coach combo to navigate his innings and realize when to pull him.

45 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

Rangers look like they are going to be a problem for years to come. Great farm system, ownership that actually spends money on free agents, and an aggressive GM who isn't afraid of either the salary scolds or the prospect scolds.

and some of their free agents signings - gasp - did not pan out. the shame must be too much for them to bear. i hope they find something to do to distract themselves from those failures.

prospect hounds.  

• Haha 1

Houston was 1-5 this year at home in the playoffs.  

I can't believe people left the game early last night.  It was game 7.  There's no clock in baseball.  Sure they had a slim chance to win but why risk seeing the most incredible comeback in playoff history at that point?  I know traffic in Houston stucks (Houston is one hour away from Houston) but you spent the money and time, what's an extra few minutes?

1 hour ago, oblong said:

Houston was 1-5 this year at home in the playoffs.  

I can't believe people left the game early last night.  It was game 7.  There's no clock in baseball.  Sure they had a slim chance to win but why risk seeing the most incredible comeback in playoff history at that point?  I know traffic in Houston stucks (Houston is one hour away from Houston) but you spent the money and time, what's an extra few minutes?

AL Wild card home teams were 2-2.

AL division series home teams were 2-5.

AL championship series home teams were ....0-7?

Texas might want to look into being the road team for the entire World Series.  For the playoffs they're undefeated on the road (8-0) and blemished at home (1-3) if I an looking at this correctly.

Edited by casimir
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, casimir said:

I heard this on a podcast today.  I choose for it to be true because I don’t feel like looking it up for it’s accuracy.  The Phillies have been around for 140 years.  The World Series has been around for 120ish years.  This is the Phillies’ first game 7.

They can thank Joe Carter for that.