2023 MLB Playoffs

Toddwert

Which would be worth it IMO if you can dump Baez.

And also, if we get one of Bogaerts or Machado back as well as Tatis. That's a LOT of salary to take back, so they can have Baez. And I'll even throw in $40 mill of Ilitch's money.

Plus prospects like Malloy, 1 of Keith/ Jung, etc.

Receiving back: proven versus unproven. Can field a position versus mostly a DH type. Or: not a good fielder at a position, etc...

Tatis's contract doesn't get crazy until his age 30 season, 2029.  Then you have 6 years of a guy maknig $36M.  I'm over that as a fan.  I'm with Ed.... I'll take the risk in now knowing if he can be all time great because his issues so far are not worth the gamble.

3 hours ago, Edman85 said:

Wait... if the Padres are trying to shed some salary, why are they taking on Javy Baez? They, of all teams, aren't in position to take on dead money.

It’s math. Tatis is 340 million and Baez is 100 they save 240 and get a cheap asset like Skubal which replaces the need to spend more$ for pitching. 

Actualy it’s more possible for Bogarts since he disappointed but not sure we want him. 

The only reason for any of this discussion is if the Padres are under severe salary issues that they feel they must eliminate. That can create "fire sale" conditions...

So even aside the trade imbalance as you've indicated: if they feel no pressure whatsoever to fix their salary structure, the entire idea is moot.

But just for an alternative opinion:

Miggy Cabrera and Dontrelle Willis to the Tigers for 6 players (I believe the trade simulator for this trade would look the same as the above trade, possibly even WORSE, before the trade was made... And Last point: financial duress has created some "weird" looking transactions throughout baseball history. IE: Babe Ruth sold by the Red Sox to the Yankees for  theatrical production money, the 70's A's, Marlins sending Miggy to the Tigers, etc.):

Miggy Cabrera - 49 WAR with the Tigers

Dontrelle Willis - (-1) WAR with the Tigers

NET = 48 WAR

Andrew Miller - (-2.5) WAR with the Marlins

Cam Maybin - 2 WAR with the Marlins

Burke Badenhop - 2 WAR with the Marlins

Mike Rabelo - (-0.2) WAR with the Marlins

Dallas Trahern - (Didn't make it to MLB)

Frankie De La Cruz - (-0.9) WAR with the Marlins

NET = 0.4 WAR

29 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

Not a huge fan of this website, but yeah... Why are the Padres doing this? Furthermore, I ask the same question of the Tigers.

image.thumb.png.48d18a91905d8b03c3ae72aa3266929f.png

Bogarts might even be worse than Baez given the extra money and years. In comparision should we consider ourselves "lucky" with El Mago ?

1 hour ago, 1984Echoes said:

But just for an alternative opinion:

Miggy Cabrera and Dontrelle Willis to the Tigers for 6 players (I believe the trade simulator for this trade would look the same as the above trade, possibly even WORSE, before the trade was made... And Last point: financial duress has created some "weird" looking transactions throughout baseball history. IE: Babe Ruth sold by the Red Sox to the Yankees for  theatrical production money, the 70's A's, Marlins sending Miggy to the Tigers, etc.):

Miggy Cabrera - 49 WAR with the Tigers

Dontrelle Willis - (-1) WAR with the Tigers

NET = 48 WAR

Andrew Miller - (-2.5) WAR with the Marlins

Cam Maybin - 2 WAR with the Marlins

Burke Badenhop - 2 WAR with the Marlins

Mike Rabelo - (-0.2) WAR with the Marlins

Dallas Trahern - (Didn't make it to MLB)

Frankie De La Cruz - (-0.9) WAR with the Marlins

NET = 0.4 WAR

It was a great trade, its value equaled only by the deficits generated by the ludicrous Willis extension and the even more ludicrous Cabrera extension. You can't argue deductively about the absence of a thing, only speculate what kinds of roster and development value they may have generated or traded for with the money they spent on Willis and all the zero WAR yrs of Cabrera.

5 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

It was a great trade, its value equaled only by the deficits generated by the ludicrous Willis extension and the even more ludicrous Cabrera extension. You can't argue deductively about the absence of a thing, only speculate what kinds of roster and development value they may have generated or traded for with the money they spent on Willis and all the zero WAR yrs of Cabrera.

The key issue is that, PRIOR to the trade, I'm certain that any evaluator calculator would have told the Marlins: No! Don't do that trade!

But again, financial duress causes teams to do very strange things.

Which is what we are banking on and discussing at this point...

Even if the likelihood is 0.0001%.

That 1/10,000 chance is critical!

(To our mental and emotional health...)

20 hours ago, RatkoVarda said:

Tatis would instantly and easily be the Tigers best player, and he represents a level of player they have not had for years and years and may not have unless Tork, Greene, Keith or Clark can get that done. I highly doubt he is obtainable, but adding him would be a fantastic move, and probably worth the risk.

Until he starts acting out during a down year.