23-24 Prospects Thread

4 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

On that basis...

That means that the 2nd rounder we traded to get rid of Walman is ALSO "nothing at all."

Right?

This is a....very interesting logical jump.  I'm not sure how you equate future considerations to an actual concrete asset in a trade when looking at the reality of NHL trades.  But go off I guess?

All Longgone and I are trying to say is that in trades that actually have happened in the NHL, future considerations more often than not turn out to be nothing.  I am happy to listen to any counter-examples you have where teams did what you're suggesting, otherwise it just seems like that is what you want to happen....

i'm hoping it's something like what you mentioned before, but the league nas to approve these trades and theyre not going to approve something with shenanigans in it.  an agreement to do this or not do this in the future is probably not going to fly.

then again, maybe it hasnt been submitted for approval yet, who knows?

but traditionally, "future considerations" means $ or an AHL roster player.

42 minutes ago, slothfacekilla said:

This is a....very interesting logical jump.  I'm not sure how you equate future considerations to an actual concrete asset in a trade when looking at the reality of NHL trades.  But go off I guess?

All Longgone and I are trying to say is that in trades that actually have happened in the NHL, future considerations more often than not turn out to be nothing.  I am happy to listen to any counter-examples you have where teams did what you're suggesting, otherwise it just seems like that is what you want to happen....

My thesis is that "future considerations" are future draft picks in this case. I haven't even called them high draft picks, but upgradable 5th and 7th rounders dependent on Walman's playing time.

"trades that actually have happened in the NHL, future considerations more often than not turn out to be nothing". Seriously? You guys actually believe this? Because in the NHL, "future considerations" almost ALWAYS turn out to be future, variable, draft picks. Or some other player.

I'm calling BULL**** on you guys, again. Show me a trade where "future considerations" turn out to be "nothing".

You CAN'T.

Because that doesn't exist.

Here: https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nhl/news/nhl-future-considerations-explained-hockey-trade/h3egzkoougewz3moiulucwfn

It's an easy logical jump. If my thesis is correct, than you're calling my future draft picks guess "nothing". That means the 2nd rounder we traded, is ALSO nothing.

2 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

My thesis is that "future considerations" are future draft picks in this case. I haven't even called them high draft picks, but upgradable 5th and 7th rounders dependent on Walman's playing time.

"trades that actually have happened in the NHL, future considerations more often than not turn out to be nothing". Seriously? You guys actually believe this? Because in the NHL, "future considerations" almost ALWAYS turn out to be future, variable, draft picks. Or some other player.

I'm calling BULL**** on you guys, again. Show me a trade where "future considerations" turn out to be "nothing".

You CAN'T.

Because that doesn't exist.

Here: https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nhl/news/nhl-future-considerations-explained-hockey-trade/h3egzkoougewz3moiulucwfn

It's an easy logical jump. If my thesis is correct, than you're calling my future draft picks guess "nothing". That means the 2nd rounder we traded, is ALSO nothing.

most of the future consideration trades i could find, turned out the future consideration was nothing or a small amount of money.  sometimes a low draft pick or player went back the other way.

i thought - and wrote - that it most likely be an ahl guy.  but it doesnt have to be, it could be something different.  we just dont know yet.

16 minutes ago, buddha said:

most of the future consideration trades i could find, turned out the future consideration was nothing or a small amount of money.  sometimes a low draft pick or player went back the other way.

i thought - and wrote - that it most likely be an ahl guy.  but it doesnt have to be, it could be something different.  we just dont know yet.

no arg about the likely value level, only that by tagging it "future consideration" I would still take that to mean whatever and however small the return is, it's still dependent on some future outcome, otherwise there is no reason for the decision to be deferred. Well I suppose you maybe do it just to avoid a PR hit because it looks lopsided - IDK if that's in Yzerman's MO or not.

13 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

what can you do? Nothing of value is *happening* (yet...)

🤷‍♀️

God I worded that badly in my work induced rage (yesterday was a doozie for me), I really meant nothing in my message was of value as it was unnecessarily catty and didn't add anything to the conversation.  Probably without knowing was getting frustration out!  I wanted to delete it but there was no option lol.  Anyways, don't want to clutter up the conversation with my annoyance born out of my crappy IRL coworkers so ya.  Wish I could have just deleted my post there.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, slothfacekilla said:

God I worded that badly in my work induced rage (yesterday was a doozie for me), I really meant nothing in my message was of value as it was unnecessarily catty and didn't add anything to the conversation.  Probably without knowing was getting frustration out!  I wanted to delete it but there was no option lol.  Anyways, don't want to clutter up the conversation with my annoyance born out of my crappy IRL coworkers so ya.  Wish I could have just deleted my post there.

it's all good. But you were correct, it is a nothing issue, but nature abhors a vacuum and Stevie is a master at vacuum creation!

35 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

it's all good. But you were correct, it is a nothing issue, but nature abhors a vacuum and Stevie is a master at vacuum creation!

It also just hit me while working out that your post was a great joke that originally went over my head, bravo haha

https://www.si.com/onsi/breakaway/prospects-feed/posts/top-five-prospect-systems-in-nhl-01j2406am40w

1. Detroit Red Wings

Steve Yzerman must be praised for his rebuilding efforts in Detroit. The Red Wings haven't made the postseason in nearly a decade, but that could change in 2024 with the number of high-level prospects in their system. They have two of my top-10 prospects in the league in Nate Danielson and Simon Edvinsson, but it doesn't stop there.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
2 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

What are the odds that Simon Edvinsson gets called up and gets first line minutes with Seider right out of the gate? Any chance they end up paired together at the the start of the season or sometime shortly there after?

IDK, I would think that after finishing the season with the team and playing well that the default assumption is he starts the season on the roster unless he really lays an egg in the preseason. Who he plays with may depend on deals not yet made.

But more generally, maybe the best strategy is to be flexible. If you are playing a team with one big scoring line, put them out there together, but otherwise my preference would be to have one big physical Dman who can carry the puck out there for >50 out of 60 min.