Random NHL comments/thoughts

lordstanley

22 minutes ago, slothfacekilla said:

That is very surprising to me because the reported prices for their season ticket packages seem pretty damn high

SLC is a fast growing market and the only other competition is the Jazz.  no football and no baseball.

these are the types of markets where hockey will thrive.  places like raleigh.  

that being said, i cant see how they avoid going back to houston or atlanta.  houston is massive and is soon to be the 3rd largest market in the country when i passes chicago.  atlanta has changed demographically with so many transplants from the north.  soccer is thriving there now.  there will likely be the same appetite for hockey.  just depends on whether the league wants to take a risk to get burned 3 times.

I'm giving up on the Quebec argument for now, even though I still believe in my heart they deserve a team before another southern team gets added. But if the NHL wants to expand beyond the relocation to Utah then I'd love to see Milwaukee get a team. They have 2 million people in and around the Milwaukee-Racine area. Wisconsinites have proven they will support hockey with the Badgers NCAA team, the Admirals in the AHL, and fan support for both the Blackhawks and Wild. Plus, kids and families grow up playing the sport of hockey in the state. I'd give a team to Milwaukee before Atlanta or Houston.

5 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I'm giving up on the Quebec argument for now, even though I still believe in my heart they deserve a team before another southern team gets added. But if the NHL wants to expand beyond the relocation to Utah then I'd love to see Milwaukee get a team. They have 2 million people in and around the Milwaukee-Racine area. Wisconsinites have proven they will support hockey with the Badgers NCAA team, the Admirals in the AHL, and fan support for both the Blackhawks and Wild. Plus, kids and families grow up playing the sport of hockey in the state. I'd give a team to Milwaukee before Atlanta or Houston.

i dont see any big push for an nhl team in milwaukee.

So at the dinner-dance after our daughter's high school grad the other day they played Don't Stop Believin' and even Vancouver teens like to sing the South Detroit part. 16 years to the day since the Wings' won their last Cup, in '08. When my daughter had just turned 2. Bookends. I'm a sappy ol' dad ...

• Like 3

On 6/6/2024 at 1:24 PM, lordstanley said:

So at the dinner-dance after our daughter's high school grad the other day they played Don't Stop Believin' and even Vancouver teens like to sing the South Detroit part. 16 years to the day since the Wings' won their last Cup, in '08. When my daughter had just turned 2. Bookends. I'm a sappy ol' dad ...

I remember celebrating with my dad. I was still a kid myself, in middle school, and it wasn’t until I saw him losing his mind that I understood the gravity of winning the Cup.

If I’d known the Detroit sports drought to come I may have savored it more. Alas.

Go Lions(?)

This is the point in the series every year when someone at HFBoards will post “was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?” and some European who doesn’t get the reference mocks him for his supposed ignorance of history. 

So the team name for the Utah team is Hockey Club and their logo is the shape of the State of Utah with the word Utah on it. Really uninspiring choice for their team name and a very bland and unoriginal logo. 

utah-hockey-club-nhl-logos-sportslogosnet.jpg

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

1 hour ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

So the team name for the Utah team is Hockey Club and their logo is the shape of the State of Utah with the word Utah on it. Really uninspiring choice for their team name and a very bland and unoriginal logo. 

utah-hockey-club-nhl-logos-sportslogosnet.jpg

I agree but I heard it is just a temporary name for this first season until the fans decide on the permanent one. 

Ya they are just using this for a season while fans vote on their real branding, which seems to just be an elaborate way to build a big email database for the team's marketing department 😂.  I feel like more effort could have gone into it (it seriously looks like something you'd get from a website you found googling "free sports logo"), but in the end it won't really matter since it is temporary.

Just now, gehringer_2 said:

It's good to play next to a Hughes

Reinforces how devastating a move it was to select Zadina one pick ahead of Hughes.  

As bad as Pistons Darko right ahead of Carmelo, Bosh, Wade and Lions Ebron ahead of Aaron Donald, OBJ, and Lewan.