Random NHL comments/thoughts

lordstanley

1 hour ago, buddha said:

whispers [that's the type of deal the wings should have been making two years ago...trading for reclamation projects and getting picks...]

Like how they did with Marc Staal?  Or getting reclamation projects like Fabbri, Walman, Bowey or Perlini?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, slothfacekilla said:

Like how they did with Marc Staal?  Or getting reclamation projects like Fabbri, Walman, Bowey or Perlini?

how many picks did they get for fabbri, walman, bowey, and perlini?  what big contracts did they have?

staal i will give you.

fabbri, walman, bowey (??? he was a kenny trade), and perlini were not "taking on a big contract reclamation project that you then flip for picks".  those guys were reclamation projects we traded assets for that didnt pan out.  

sean monahan, patrick laine...habs are using their cap space correctly.

i trust yzerman as much as the next guy, but i dont think he used his cap space as effectively as others are doing.  i get the intent behind chairot, copp, etc, but it might have been nice to have taken a couple more guys with big salaries to flip.

hindsight is 20/20, i know.

On 8/20/2024 at 10:32 PM, Shinzaki said:

Seattle signs Matty Beniers to a 7 year extension for right around 50 million.  Lucas Raymond sure is happy to hear that

when is stevie going to just bite the bullet and pay them?  the longer he waits, the more the price goes up.

• Like 1

What an awful, tragic story to read. For the Gaudreau family to lose two young men like that, especially the day before they celebrate their daughter/sisters wedding is just so awful. RIP Johnny and Matthew Gaudreau.

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

6 hours ago, slothfacekilla said:

Drive sober and drive safely.  There's never a need to drive after five to six beers and never a reason to pass someone on the ****ing shoulder of the road.  People can be so selfish and it breaks my heart.

I don't drink much anymore and when I do, it's pretty much at home (a cold beer after yardwork hits the spot).    If I have a drink out in the public it's usually one beer and that's that.   Friends give me a hard time, but I don't care.         I'm turning 60 in December,  I think the days of proving your manhood by how much you can drink have long since passed.   And I was always a lightweight anyway.  

Alcoholism and binge drinking are swept under the rug too much.    People are drinking to excess a lot more than 20/30 years ago - and this was trending in that direction before the pandemic,  the pandemic just put it on steroids.  

1 hour ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I don't drink much anymore and when I do, it's pretty much at home (a cold beer after yardwork hits the spot).    If I have a drink out in the public it's usually one beer and that's that.   Friends give me a hard time, but I don't care.         I'm turning 60 in December,  I think the days of proving your manhood by how much you can drink have long since passed.   And I was always a lightweight anyway.  

Alcoholism and binge drinking are swept under the rug too much.    People are drinking to excess a lot more than 20/30 years ago - and this was trending in that direction before the pandemic,  the pandemic just put it on steroids.  

you shouldnt drive when you smoke pot or eat gummies too...

1 hour ago, Shinzaki said:

I'm a gummie b4 sleep guy too...I weigh about 290lbs, so I eat a full one.

Seth Jarvis signs an 8 year 64 million extension with the Canes.  Another win for Raymond...

No source was willing to divulge precisely how much money has been deferred, or in which year(s) of the deal the money is deferred, but there is a deferred signing bonus payment that is scheduled for July 1, 2032 – which is one day after the contract officially expires on June 30, 2032.

Because that payment is technically scheduled for Year 9 of the eight-year deal, there is no Year 9 cap charge for the Hurricanes, and the cap hit for the Hurricanes over the course of the eight-year deal is charged on what is actually paid out during that time.

Deferred payments have been allowed in the Collective Bargaining Agreement, but to this point, the Hurricanes are believed to be the first NHL team to cross this threshold in a meaningful way. Sources indicated the NHL’s Central Registry and the NHL Players’ Association have been briefed and signed off on the structure of this deal before terms were agreed upon; the deal is expected to be registered on Saturday.

https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/news/sources-hurricanes-and-seth-jarvis-agree-to-63-2-million-contract-with-unique-deferred-structure

Interesting....feels like a loophole the NHL is going to close

• Like 1