Fiscal Fitness: Taxes, Budgets, and the Economy

chasfh

4 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I see one line item on the left that could be restructured to make up that deficit in a hurry.

image.png.1321cea2ecb90ac1dc7d0e647e9f3ae5.png

The purpose of a Fortune list level corporation is to provide a massive return to institutional shareholders and an even more massive windfall to top executives.  How could they possibly accomplish that while actually paying taxes?  

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I see one line item on the left that could be restructured to make up that deficit in a hurry.

I see two...

That Corporate Income Taxes is looking mighty, mighty thin.

But that Individual Income Taxes also... doesn't show all the ways that the top 1% avoid taxes, legally or illegally. It's why Biden wants to beef up the IRS another 60,000 employees (although that could be for both 1%'ers and corporate potential malfeasance...).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

I wouldn't care if the corporate inc tax stays low as long as all corporate derived income i.e. - stock awards, stock options, dividends and capital gains get taxed at the same rates as ordinary incomce. But give me one or the other at least.

2 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

I wouldn't care if the corporate inc tax stays low as long as all corporate derived income i.e. - stock awards, stock options, dividends and capital gains get taxed at the same rates as ordinary incomce. But give me one or the other at least.

Pointedly, this chart has nothing to do with corporate tax rates

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

"Thanks, Trump!" 😝

2. 🍔 McDonald's heats up fast-food price wars

Illustration of George Washington on a one dollar bill holding a cheeseburger

Illustration: Sarah Grillo/Axios

McDonald's is launching a new $5 meal deal nationwide as the fast-food price wars heat up, Axios' Kelly Tyko and Nathan Bomey report.

• Restaurant chains are feeling compelled to put the "value" back into the value meal after years of price hikes have hampered sales, and McDonald's is under particularly acute pressure.

🔮 What they're saying: Neil Saunders, GlobalData managing director, recently told Axios that consumers really want everyday low prices, not limited-time deals and offers.

• "McDonald's $5 meal is sensible, but it will only be offered for a limited time so it will not resolve perceptions that the chain has become very expensive," Saunders said.

Of course they did this because they expect Trump to be president ... 😏

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, SkyBlue said:

Welfare in the 21st century: Increasing development, reducing inequality, the impact of climate change, and the cost of climate policies

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0040162520304157

LOL - The Hoover Institution has pretty close to zero cred on anything related to these issues. They are big time, big industry apologists. His first paragraphs are laughable in the face the increased deaths by simple heat prostration occurring across the planet as places where people have lived through all of recorded history become objectively unfit for human habitation. I'm sure all the construction workers in Iraq who now have to knock off their projects at dawn or face the likelihood of death think his dismissals of climate catastrophe amusing at the least.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

LOL - The Hoover Institution has pretty close to zero cred on anything related to these issues. They are big time, big industry apologists. His first paragraphs are laughable in the face the increased deaths by simple heat prostration occurring across the planet as places where people have lived through all of recorded history become objectively unfit for human habitation. I'm sure all the construction workers in Iraq who now have to knock off their projects at dawn or face the likelihood of death think his dismissals of climate catastrophe amusing at the least.

So you didn't read it fully, that's fine and obvious at some point expand your horizons. 

I don't need to ask the construction workers in Iraq but the emotional response was fantastic, well done. And, expected was just curious who would be the one but love the construction example offered.

My two oldest boys have been working on roofs in FLorida for several years now and surprisingly, to you obviously, there are numerous ways to deal with working in high heat climates.  Even if you are a construction worker in Iraq.  My 23yr old spent two weeks on the roof of the  Orlando Airport earlier this year when temperatures were spiking in the region.  It was hard work, but they have policies in place on how to work in extreme temperatures that work, proven to work.

I have spent over 35yrs in construction and worked on some of the largest overhead glazing projects in the US over the last few decades.   Heat is an issue, yet, there are ways to deal with and work successfully in these type climates and companies have been doing for a long time.  The article spends time on adaption policies and their impacts.

24 minutes ago, SkyBlue said:

So you didn't read it fully, that's fine and obvious at some point expand your horizons. 

I don't need to ask the construction workers in Iraq but the emotional response was fantastic, well done. And, expected was just curious who would be the one but love the construction example offered.

My two oldest boys have been working on roofs in FLorida for several years now and surprisingly, to you obviously, there are numerous ways to deal with working in high heat climates.  Even if you are a construction worker in Iraq.  My 23yr old spent two weeks on the roof of the  Orlando Airport earlier this year when temperatures were spiking in the region.  It was hard work, but they have policies in place on how to work in extreme temperatures that work, proven to work.

I have spent over 35yrs in construction and worked on some of the largest overhead glazing projects in the US over the last few decades.   Heat is an issue, yet, there are ways to deal with and work successfully in these type climates and companies have been doing for a long time.  The article spends time on adaption policies and their impacts.

Falling on deaf ears here. This group have probably never worked labor related job in their life. I do work in the energy field and linemen that show up on what we call storm duty after a natural disaster live in their work trucks for weeks on end. Exposed to brutal heat/cold and dangerous live wire situations. 2024 diesel trucks and newer are set thanks to the EPA to shutoff after 10 minutes of idling. So after 16 hours of work 4 guys cram into a quad cab and try to sleep for a few hours either freezing or sweating. Then they get back out there and do it for 16 more hours.

36 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

Falling on deaf ears here. This group have probably never worked labor related job in their life. I do work in the energy field and linemen that show up on what we call storm duty after a natural disaster live in their work trucks for weeks on end. Exposed to brutal heat/cold and dangerous live wire situations. 2024 diesel trucks and newer are set thanks to the EPA to shutoff after 10 minutes of idling. So after 16 hours of work 4 guys cram into a quad cab and try to sleep for a few hours either freezing or sweating. Then they get back out there and do it for 16 more hours.

I've spent afternoons in Tyvek chemical exposure suits doing clean-out/washdown on potential toxics and know you can check out on even a warm day in less than 20 minutes if you aren't careful. And in the US we generally have all the dousing water we need anytime we need it. In the developing world not so much. The Human body is not well designed to operate at temperatures much above it's own set point.

1 hour ago, SkyBlue said:

Talking about adaption methods is fine, but when you do in the context, which he sets, that warming won't be a crisis, which he is, he's being an apologist. "Your Boys" are working in the ' richest most worker safety aware country in the world. Their situation likely applies for less than 1/4 of the world's population if even that.

Edited by gehringer_2