The Gaza War

gehringer_2

• 3 weeks later...

From the WSJ-January 25, 2024

The U.S. secretly warned Iran that Islamic State was preparing to carry out the terrorist attack early this month that killed more than 80 Iranians in a pair of coordinated suicide bombings, U.S. officials said. 

The confidential alert came after the U.S. acquired intelligence that Islamic State’s affiliate in Afghanistan, ISIS-Khorasan, known as ISIS-K, was plotting to attack Iran, they said. 

American officials said the information passed to Iran was specific enough about the location and sufficiently timely that it might have proved useful to Tehran in thwarting the attack on Jan. 3 or at least mitigating the casualty toll. 

16 minutes ago, 1776 said:

From the WSJ-January 25, 2024

The U.S. secretly warned Iran that Islamic State was preparing to carry out the terrorist attack early this month that killed more than 80 Iranians in a pair of coordinated suicide bombings, U.S. officials said. 

The confidential alert came after the U.S. acquired intelligence that Islamic State’s affiliate in Afghanistan, ISIS-Khorasan, known as ISIS-K, was plotting to attack Iran, they said. 

American officials said the information passed to Iran was specific enough about the location and sufficiently timely that it might have proved useful to Tehran in thwarting the attack on Jan. 3 or at least mitigating the casualty toll. 

Interesting if true but Iran would never confirm it, esp since they apparently failed to act effectively on whatever they were told.

53 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Interesting if true but Iran would never confirm it, esp since they apparently failed to act effectively on whatever they were told.

As one would expect. It’s easier to do as they actually did, blame the US. I would be willing to bet they received the warning and purposely did not act, all while formulating an anti west (US/Israel) propaganda message for after the fact. 

25 minutes ago, 1776 said:

As one would expect. It’s easier to do as they actually did, blame the US. I would be willing to bet they received the warning and purposely did not act, all while formulating an anti west (US/Israel) propaganda message for after the fact. 

Yes.

There's a large contingent of people who think Oct 7 either didn't happen or was an IDF operation.

And in Jordan the opend up a restaurant called.... "October 7".

These are the people Joe Biden is supposed to pander to.  A group not only dumb eough to believe Jan 6 type propoganda but also to devalue human life to such a degree that a terrorist attack is to be celebrated.

21 hours ago, oblong said:

Yes.

There's a large contingent of people who think Oct 7 either didn't happen or was an IDF operation.

And in Jordan the opend up a restaurant called.... "October 7".

These are the people Joe Biden is supposed to pander to.  A group not only dumb eough to believe Jan 6 type propoganda but also to devalue human life to such a degree that a terrorist attack is to be celebrated.

I don’t think Joe has to pander to anyone like that. People who believe this stuff would never vote for Joe, anyway. They are too far gone—they probably have always been too far gone—and, fortunately, there are too few of them to make much of a difference, anyway. I think the only way they could ever come to make any difference is if a Trump-like character somehow took over the “Democrat” party, which is the fervent fever dream of the Bannonites.

I can’t even imagine who that might be—my best guess would be a yet-to-be-known white male version of AOC—but I’m sure someone in Moscow is working on that puzzle right now. 

59 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I don’t think Joe has to pander to anyone like that. People who believe this stuff would never vote for Joe, anyway. They are too far gone—they probably have always been too far gone—and, fortunately, there are too few of them to make much of a difference, anyway. I think the only way they could ever come to make any difference is if a Trump-like character somehow took over the “Democrat” party, which is the fervent fever dream of the Bannonites.

I can’t even imagine who that might be—my best guess would be a yet-to-be-known white male version of AOC—but I’m sure someone in Moscow is working on that puzzle right now. 

There's more of them than you might think.  

I wouldn't be surprised if 30% of my city's population believes it.  

17 minutes ago, oblong said:

There's more of them than you might think.  

I wouldn't be surprised if 30% of my city's population believes it.  

At least thirty percent of the population in your city is Arab, which is literally the only decent-sized city in the United States with that kind of ethnic profile. I would think they have a vested interest in believing it.

Outside of Arab-dominant population centers, I gotta believe the number of waaaay out-there lefties that are highly motivated to perpetrate disruptive political action on the Gaza issue is vanishingly small, like, low low single-digit percent.

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

At least thirty percent of the population in your city is Arab, which is literally the only decent-sized city in the United States with that kind of ethnic profile. I would think they have a vested interest in believing it.

Outside of Arab-dominant population centers, I gotta believe the number of waaaay out-there lefties that are highly motivated to perpetrate disruptive political action on the Gaza issue is vanishingly small, like, low low single-digit percent.

I know you consider yourself a lefty and there's nothing wrong with that but a lot of your political brethren on most other issues are on the wrong side of this conflict.  It's not meant as an attack on lefties in general but each side has its own crazy people to contend with.  For every Jan 6 denier on the right there is an Oct 7 truther/anti semite on the left.  That's my point here.  You see it all over the world and on campuses here.  No token is given to Israel's right to defend itself and the atrocities of Hamas are brushed over by this lot.  Israeli hostage flyers are defaced almost as soon as they are put up.  "Sure Jan" is the phrase, a play on the Brady Bunch movie when Jan talked about her  assumed mythical boyfriend.

And for the record I think Nethanyahu has gone too far and Israel should do more to avoid civilian casualties.  They aren't helping the situation either, for their own people or for innocent Palestinians.  But the broader world and this pseudo global court don't understand that Israel is not dealing with rational people.

It's a ****ty situation with no good solution.  A Palestnian state could be created and recognized with appropriate amounts of land and it will never ever be enough and eventually the radicals will be voted in power and we'll be at war again.   As long as Israel is a country there will never be peace in that region.

19 hours ago, oblong said:

I know you consider yourself a lefty and there's nothing wrong with that but a lot of your political brethren on most other issues are on the wrong side of this conflict.  It's not meant as an attack on lefties in general but each side has its own crazy people to contend with.  For every Jan 6 denier on the right there is an Oct 7 truther/anti semite on the left.  That's my point here.  You see it all over the world and on campuses here.  No token is given to Israel's right to defend itself and the atrocities of Hamas are brushed over by this lot.  Israeli hostage flyers are defaced almost as soon as they are put up.  "Sure Jan" is the phrase, a play on the Brady Bunch movie when Jan talked about her  assumed mythical boyfriend.

Hey, glad to learn there’s nothing wrong with being a lefty here! 😃

Granting that of course there are crazies like that on the left as there are crazies like the other on the right, I don’t know that, de facto, that means there are just as many, meaning as high a composition, on each side, or that the crazy left has anywhere near the influence on the general body politic as the crazy right. I understand that repeated and even deliberate exposure to anecdotes about these events can lead to the conclusion in people’s heads that there are and that it does, but I’d rather see some reliable data on actual numbers before I fully commit to the idea either way. Reputable polls about the issue would be a good start.

I can’t help but educatedly guess that there is a well-funded communications effort to portray the entire left as being unhinged, or even as unhinged, in the same numbers as those on the right. But just surveying the general landscape, which I spend a lot a lot more time in than I do in any deep leftosphere, it appears to me that a huge plurality of the right—maybe a third or more—are actively consuming far right conspiracies, several of which I can easily name off the top of my head, whereas a far smaller, even minute, percentage, I’d guess in single digits, is engaged to the same degree in similarly-outrageous far left conspiracies, which, I’m not even sure I can name more than a couple. October 7 didn’t really happen? Is that even a real one? UN was in on the Hamas attack? Is that one? What are even some of the others?

tl;dr: I don’t think the level of October 7 denialism on the left is even close to that of January 6 denialism on the right. It looks to me that for every Rashida or AOC on the left, there are maybe a dozen congresscritters similarly-positioned directly across the spectrum from them on the right. I’d like to see some reliable data on that, though.

20 hours ago, oblong said:

I reject the concept that “my **** doesn’t stink” which is what I think you are concluding.  There’s no moral purity in being a leftist.  

I don’t see how you got that out of what I wrote. All I’m saying bottom line is that I don’t see nearly the same level of 10/7 truther that I see of 1/6 truther. Maybe we just travel in different circles.

3 dead US Troops in Jordan attacked by drone from Iranian backed militia. Possible 34+ additional injured.

If not War, Iran is courting a direct military response from the U.S.

This is the escalation Iran wants and the U.S. needs to place at Iran's doorstep. Not in their neighbor's (Yemen, Syria, Iraq) yards...

https://www.yahoo.com/news/biden-three-americans-killed-many-164752549.html

Associated Press

Three US troops are killed and dozens are injured in a drone strike by Iran-backed militia in Jordan

BY ZEKE MILLER and LOLITA C. BALDOR
Updated Sun, January 28, 2024 at 3:04 PM EST

1 hour ago, 1984Echoes said:

3 dead US Troops in Jordan attacked by drone from Iranian backed militia. Possible 34+ additional injured.

If not War, Iran is courting a direct military response from the U.S.

This is the escalation Iran wants and the U.S. needs to place at Iran's doorstep. Not in their neighbor's (Yemen, Syria, Iraq) yards...

https://www.yahoo.com/news/biden-three-americans-killed-many-164752549.html

Associated Press

Three US troops are killed and dozens are injured in a drone strike by Iran-backed militia in Jordan

BY ZEKE MILLER and LOLITA C. BALDOR
Updated Sun, January 28, 2024 at 3:04 PM EST

It’s easy to crush a bug but it makes one’s shoe messy.

WSJ 01/29/24

The U.S. failed to stop a deadly attack on an American military outpost in Jordan because the enemy drone approached its target at the same time a U.S. drone was also returning to base, U.S. officials said Monday. 

The return of the U.S. drone led to some confusion over whether the incoming drone was friend or foe, officials have concluded so far. 

The enemy drone was launched from Iraq by a militia backed by Tehran, U.S. officials said. The outpost, Tower 22, sits in Jordan, hard on the borders of Iraq and Syria.

The U.S. has yet to find evidence thus far that Iran directed the attack, a U.S. defense official said Monday. 

Just as bad, if not WORSE:

Allegedly, 10% (TEN percent!!!) of UNRWA's 13,000 workers have ties to Hamas or Islamic Jihad or similar!

The US and several European countries stopped UNRWA funding.

I say they keep that PERMANENT until that **** is cleaned UP!!!

38 minutes ago, 1776 said:

WSJ 01/29/24

The U.S. failed to stop a deadly attack on an American military outpost in Jordan because the enemy drone approached its target at the same time a U.S. drone was also returning to base, U.S. officials said Monday. 

The return of the U.S. drone led to some confusion over whether the incoming drone was friend or foe, officials have concluded so far. 

The enemy drone was launched from Iraq by a militia backed by Tehran, U.S. officials said. The outpost, Tower 22, sits in Jordan, hard on the borders of Iraq and Syria.

The U.S. has yet to find evidence thus far that Iran directed the attack, a U.S. defense official said Monday. 

All the secure communication technology in the world at their disposal and US forces don't have functional FOF (friend of foe) ID capability? Not to mention that in the a case of drone, when in doubt the rule should be just kill it; they are the most replaceable thing on the battlefield.

Edited by gehringer_2