The Gaza War

gehringer_2

Two things can be true. Netyenhau is scum and using this to go too far and the left wing protesters are going too far.  I've seen too many whitewash what happend on Oct 7, either saying it didn't happen, it was justified, or was an inside job by Israel.  Hamas can end this right now but they refuse to because they want civilians to die.  Their actions started this.  They are the ones fighting a war while embedding themselves with civilians.

Those claiming genocide by Israel ignore a lot of reality.  They want the best of both worlds.  They are ready to let a Republican win the WH because they see no difference with regard to their pet issue, ignoring everything else out there.  That's why I have no use for them.   

50 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Yeah, Newsweek is not much better.

On the others, you continually conflate pro-Palestinian protests in the western world with Hamas terrorism in Israel. To Rob's point, there can be peaceful pro-Palestinian protests, which as far as I can tell from my reading is the vast majority; there can be violent pro-Palestinian protests, which I have seen only claims on X and Reddit for; and there can be Hamas terrorism, which does not qualify as protest at all. Those strike me as all being distinct separate deals. Based on your voluminous posts here, it seems all the same to you.

1 minute ago, chasfh said:

Yeah, Newsweek is not much better.

On the others, you continually conflate pro-Palestinian protests in the western world with Hamas terrorism in Israel. To Rob's point, there can be peaceful pro-Palestinian protests, which as far as I can tell from my reading is the vast majority; there can be violent pro-Palestinian protests, which I have seen only claims on X and Reddit for; and there can be Hamas terrorism, which does not qualify as protest at all. Those strike me as all being distinct separate deals. Based on your voluminous posts here, it seems all the same to you.

I mean, the group that organized the Holocaust museum protest tweeted out a call for protestors. There is a growing radicalization in the US with these protestors and they consistently target Jews that have nothing to do with the war. You seem pretty dismissive of it but I suspect you wouldn't be if they were wearing red hats. 

This thread is quickly spiraling out of control.  I’m seeing posts that I’d expect to see on a white nationalist site instead of Motown Forums.

I hope that people will try better to have an opinion about the Israeli government rather than spread hate and anti-semitism about “The Jews”.  This place is better than that and these posts are embarrassing.  

Edited by Hongbit

Just now, Hongbit said:

This thread is quickly spiraling out of control.  I’m seeing posts that I’d expect to see on a white nationalist site instead of Motown Forums.    I hope that people will try better to have an opinion about the Israeli government rather than spread hate and anti-semitism about “The Jews”.  This place is better than that and these posts are embarrassing.  

Like.

Also, that people will try better to have an opinion about Hamas rather than spread hate about Palestinians and pro-Palestinian protesters, who look like they're starting to make gains with the American public.

https://news.gallup.com/poll/642695/majority-disapprove-israeli-action-gaza.aspx

image.thumb.png.2017ef375be2654ce5ad4649a3a2d2c3.png

23 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I mean, the group that organized the Holocaust museum protest tweeted out a call for protestors. There is a growing radicalization in the US with these protestors and they consistently target Jews that have nothing to do with the war. You seem pretty dismissive of it but I suspect you wouldn't be if they were wearing red hats. 

I mean, I can see you're typing the words, but vast majority of the evidence I've seen from you is anecdotes from X, many of which are sketchy accounts; and the citations I've seen you you offer from MSM are pretty tame. I mean, really, a story about six elderly protesters outside a Jewish comedian's comedy show at a theater in Albuquerque? Come on.

2 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I mean, I can see you're typing the words, but vast majority of the evidence I've seen from you is anecdotes from X, many of which are sketchy accounts; and the citations I've seen you you offer from MSM are pretty tame. I mean, really, a story about six elderly protesters outside a Jewish comedian's comedy show at a theater in Albuquerque? Come on.

Jerry Seinfeld thing was the least concerning but you seemed to think I was lying or making things up. It's just one example of pro Palestinian protestors protesting a random Jew. There are other examples but I feel you are just going to dismiss them all. 

14 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Like.

Also, that people will try better to have an opinion about Hamas rather than spread hate about Palestinians and pro-Palestinian protesters, who look like they're starting to make gains with the American public.

https://news.gallup.com/poll/642695/majority-disapprove-israeli-action-gaza.aspx

image.thumb.png.2017ef375be2654ce5ad4649a3a2d2c3.png

I’m not going to repeat or give any more credence to hate posts that have no place here. I am of the opinion of that they should be removed and the poster severely warned if not banned.  

As for the other part,  I have seen many Jews speak out about Bibi and against the violence of the Israeli response.  I can’t say that I’ve see too many Palestinian supporters speak out against the horrific acts of terror by Hamas that have caused this action.

Edited by Hongbit

Since this site started as a baseball site and today's Opening Day, let's all collectively chill and enjoy Tigers baseball today.

I'm asking everyone, myself included, to tone it down.  I don't know precisely what that means but I think we're all friends in some way and like each other.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

To be clear, Hamas should be pressured to accept the ceasefire. What is happening is not a genocide. The Israeli people will need to deal with Bibi. Demanding Hamas accept the ceasefire does not equal support for Bibi. You know, nuance. 

A separate issue is that there is a growing radicalization within these pro Palestine protesters. Once again, nuance. 

3 hours ago, GoBlue23 said:

Another friendly reminder that the Jews aren't the "good guys" here.

I get what you are trying to say but can you use the term "Israel" instead of "Jews"?  

I will give you the benefit of the doubt and not assume anything nefarious but the statement as you wrote reeks of white nationalism.   I'm going to edit the post.  

7 minutes ago, GoBlue23 said:

Hold up, what?  What are we supposed to call the people living in Israel who practice Judaism?  This is one of the most ridiculous things I've seen, not just on this forum, but on the internet as a whole.  Don't call people by their ethnicity, refer to them by their country of origin.  What in the world is this? 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/2020/10/05/jew-not-slur/

I am a moderator giving you advice on how to conduct yourself here and if you don't like what i said then you can get the **** out.

18 minutes ago, GoBlue23 said:

What you're doing is using your mod powers to take a side on an issue you have clearly shown yourself to be biased on.  Absolutely cowardly garbage on your part, something a 14 year old mod on a message board would do back in the early days of the internet.  Guess you just never grew out of it. 

lol.  Well, I’m also a senior citizen woman (note:for sure not 14 either) moderator here, and I’m also telling you that your behavior here kinda stinks… and if you don’t want to moderate you own tone, um, yeah…feel free to  get the **** out.  

Really. 

24 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Harassment and death threats to Jewish students by Pro Palestine protesters. 

yeah, it was put out the U community with a survey for comments. I wrote back that I think the prohibition as written is actually over broad. 

2 hours ago, oblong said:

Two things can be true. Netyenhau is scum and using this to go too far and the left wing protesters are going too far.  I've seen too many whitewash what happend on Oct 7, either saying it didn't happen, it was justified, or was an inside job by Israel.  Hamas can end this right now but they refuse to because they want civilians to die.  Their actions started this.  They are the ones fighting a war while embedding themselves with civilians.

Those claiming genocide by Israel ignore a lot of reality.  They want the best of both worlds.  They are ready to let a Republican win the WH because they see no difference with regard to their pet issue, ignoring everything else out there.  That's why I have no use for them.   

I agree that there are scummy, anti-Semitic people on the left who are using this conflict as a means to end the State of Israel. These same people wouldn't themselves want to live under the rule of Hamas or the PLO. They wouldn't support the way Hamas treats LGBTQ individuals nor the fact that Hamas doesn't allow for reproductive freedom or abortion rights. I think there are people on the left who shamefully conflate Hamas with being some sort of freedom fighting group and that is unequivocally wrong. Hamas as a political entity and as an operating organization is both barbaric and oppressive towards its own people and the people of Israel. It's also wrong to try in anyway to deny or justify the terrorist attacks on October 7th. There are people on the left who do and defend some or all of this and that is very concerning itself. 

I don't ever believe that violence should beget violence. So anyone on the left using violence or intimidation as a tactic to protest Israeli actions, Jewish people, Jewish historical and holy sites, is flat out disgusting and wrong. Defaming or minimalizing the horrific legacy of the holocaust in any way, shape, or form is also disgusting and disgraceful. So I am angry, disheartened, and deeply sadden to see videos like what MB shared where holocaust survivors are being bullied, harassed, and intimated.

That said, Israel wants to have the best of both worlds too. Jewish Trump wants to sit here and play the victim and use the October 7th terrorist attacks as a license to attack Hamas, Gaza, and Palestinian people with little restraint. He wants to use it as an excuse to rule Palestinians with an iron fist and not allow their own independent statehood. He and is Likud regime also want you to accept or outright ignore the years of Israeli settler violence and the violent, oppressive occupation and apartheid that has been occurring in Gaza long before October 7th.

Furthermore, I see liberals and center-left types defending Israel and trying to separate the argument of supporting Israel from supporting its current regime. They are one and the same and cannot be separated. Weather we want to admit it or not, Israel is not much of a true, liberal democracy anymore. It sucks to say that, but the Likud majority, led by Jewish Trump, is in the process of dismantling democracy in Israel and itself using violence and corrupting the political process to hold onto power. With Jewish Trump at the helm, they are quickly trending towards where Hungary is now under Viktor Orban and are increasingly becoming an illiberal democracy.  So when I see people saying that we need to stand up for the Middle East's only democratic government, I ask which government that is. Because standing up for Israel, as it is now, is not standing up for democracy. Until Netanyahu is gone and their political system can sort itself back out and get on a different path, there isn't much of a democracy to defend anymore.

I am troubled by many people and events on both sides of this issue.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, smr-nj said:

lol.  Well, I’m also a senior citizen woman (note:for sure not 14 either) moderator here, and I’m also telling you that your behavior here kinda stinks… and if you don’t want to moderate you own tone, um, yeah…feel free to  get the **** out.  

Really. 

So lets recap the rules here....

Calling a Palestinian a terrorist - okay

Calling a protester a Hamashole - okay

Calling a Jewish person a Jew - not okay 

Anything else one should know as to not be on the wrong side of your biases? 

17 minutes ago, GoBlue23 said:

So lets recap the rules here....

Calling a Palestinian a terrorist - okay

Calling a protester a Hamashole - okay

Calling a Jewish person a Jew - not okay 

Anything else one should know as to not be on the wrong side of your biases? 

Nobody owes you an explanation. This isn’t a court of law. 

23 minutes ago, oblong said:

Nobody owes you an explanation. This isn’t a court of law. 

Well at least you admit your actions wouldn't fly outside this forum.  Here's something you could stand to take a look at, a glossary of antisemitic terms according to the Antisemitism Policy Trust.  What's really interesting here is that this comes out of the UK, a place known for their strict rules on hate speech and even they don't consider Jew to be antisemitic.  

https://antisemitism.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2023/06/6847-Antisem-Glossary-2023-8-WEB-VERSION.pdf

Additionally, here's a searchable glossary from the ADL.  You will not find the word Jew mentioned here at all.

https://extremismterms.adl.org/search?sort_by=search_api_relevance

I get it though, facts aren't what's important here, only your feelings and your massive mod powers.