The Gaza War

gehringer_2

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, chasfh said:

One difference between the two might be that the animosity against teh blacks is coming from inside the house, and is so deeply rooted in American history that it can be fairly argued this entire country was founded on racial hatred against people of African features. It’s far more widespread, far more ingrained, and thus far more pernicious than anti-semitism, which comes from outside the house and might be seen as more isolated and transient than racial hatred. In fact, in America, Jews are not even considered a proper race as African-featured people are, while in Europe they traditionally have been considered a race. Jews in America are basically seen as white. That helps tamp down the spread of anti-semitism and thus I don’t believe it will ever reach 20c European proportions here. 

That, plus the shorter religious history of the US plays a roll. The US was not dominated by the medieval Catholic Church and steeped in official anti-Semitic theology for a millennium. The religious backdrop in the US was/ mostly Protestant or evangelical, more generally Bible based, where Judaism is regarded more as inherited legacy. Shifts the worldview somewhat. You even have sects within US evangelicalism looking for the Jews to be vindicated and David's temple rebuilt as the precursors to the 2nd coming. Today's Jews/Israel are heroes in that scenario.

Edited by gehringer_2

Anytime there's a Trump rally you see the fringes with their confederate flags, maybe a swastika, some real hatred going on.  Do we go through the mental exercise of excusing some members of that rally as just being caught up in it?  A person is resonsibile for the company they keep.  The FBI in on heightened alert for attacks against Jews.

What we are seeing at Columbia and other places of "higher learning" is not unlike what we saw in the 50's in the south.  I can't believe we are seeing this in this country in 2024 and it's not a bigger story.  It would never ever be tolerated if it were another group.

• Like 1

the utter stupidity of these protests is shocking. I know college kids have a reputation for being the dumbest smart people around, but this is nuts. while they were harassing Jewish students and praising Hamas martyrs, the House passed $17B in aid for Israel's defense. LOL!

US send less than 2% of that to Gaza for humanitarian aid (aid which I will point out Trump suspended). Maybe focus your energy on that?

to state the obvious, this is all performative; there is nothing substantive here; pitching a tent on a quad will change nothing, but attacking Jewish students completely undercuts whatever legit argument you may have had about the plight of Palestinians.

• Thanks 1

do you think harassing Jews is bad?

I mean... is pointing out anything someone else does that's bad virtue signalling?   Is the whole civil rights exhibit at the Henry Ford Museum with the Rosa Parks bus virtue signaling?

It's also rich when you claim they were not being accused of virtue signaling but of being antisemitic, then no less than 30 minutes later you..................................................... accuse them of virtue signaling.  

that's a double wow

except is more like a double par for the course with you 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

How much is because school, because of fear from parents and students in today's environment, are afraid to challenge students with making them think about hard questions?

One part of it might be the amount of money parents are giving to the school for their kid to be there; and another might be some parents are wired in to people who can make the academic administration accountable.

1 hour ago, RatkoVarda said:

to state the obvious, this is all performative; there is nothing substantive here;

This. Right here. Doesn't mean one-hundred-point-zero percent of all participants are being merely performative—in a large cohort there are always a few true believers who would go the whole mile, and also a few who are planted by nefarious organizations. By and large, though, practically all these kids will have moved on to something else to occupy their lives, and I would bet a large percentage of them will reflect on this in a few years and ask themselves, what the hell was I thinking?

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, chasfh said:

One part of it might be the amount of money parents are giving to the school for their kid to be there; and another might be some parents are wired in to people who can make the academic administration accountable.

IDK what it is, but for certain the boomers have not defended or passed on the 'western liberal enlightenment' world view that our parents generation raised us under. Maybe we took it so much for granted that we didn't think/know we had to. The 'greatest gen' did it for us all too transparently? Now we've leaving behind a nation with wide swaths of people who seem ill-equipped to manage  or even function in a self-governing society. 

Edited by gehringer_2

6 minutes ago, chasfh said:

This. Right here. Doesn't mean one-hundred-point-zero percent of all participants are being merely performative—in a large cohort there are always a few true believers who would go the whole mile, and also a few who are planted by nefarious organizations. By and large, though, practically all these kids will have moved on to something else to occupy their lives, and I would bet a large percentage of them will reflect on this in a few years and ask themselves, what the hell was I thinking?

I'll remember this whenever there are right wing protests. 

My mother who is an old boomer who went to high school in the 60's, said all the hippies she went to school with that are in Facebook are all extreme MAGA now. All the do gooders like cheerleaders are Democrats. I wouldn't be surprised if most of the anti-war kids I went to school with are now MAGA. They are people easily manipulated to jump on causes. I'm would not be surprised if most of these Hamasholes end up growing into right wingers.