The Gaza War

gehringer_2

36 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

The goal is obvious. It is to get Trump elected. It is no coincidence these protests escalated as soon as Trump's trial started. There more media attention on the protests than on Trump's trial. 

Iran attacked Israel on April 13th. Trump’s trial began on the 15th. Israel retaliated to Iran’s attack of the 13th on April 19th. 
I believe your comment above is beyond anything that be proven at this point considering the other events outside Trump’s trial. The attack and counter attack between Iran and Israel are far more relevant to the ongoing protests than Trump’s trial. 

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, 1776 said:

Iran attacked Israel on April 13th. Trump’s trial began on the 15th. Israel retaliated to Iran’s attack of the 13th on April 19th. 
I believe your comment above is beyond anything that be proven at this point considering the other events outside Trump’s trial. The attack and counter attack between Iran and Israel are far more relevant to the ongoing protests than Trump’s trial. 

I can't believe after what we saw in 2016 and 2020 that people can't see it. Right wing agitators have infiltrated these kids, like they did in 2020 with Black Lives Matter, in efforts to help Trump and hurt Democrats.  

• Confused 1

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, 1776 said:

And before Iran directly attacked Israel, Israel hit Irans consulate.  And before that... on and on....

Edited by pfife

Idk why more schools didn't just do what Brown did, promise them a vote on Israel divestiture, if it passes cool, if it doesn't, cool.    Worked swimmingly there.

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, pfife said:

Idk why more schools didn't just do what Brown did, promise them a vote on Israel divestiture, if it passes cool, if it doesn't, cool.    Worked swimmingly there.

because most schools with major money in endowments don't want to give up investment decisions to anyone for anything - it could cost them real money and real money speaks louder to TPTB  than foreign policy politics!

Edited by gehringer_2

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

because most schools with major money in endowments don't want to give up investment decisions to anyone for anything - it could cost them real money and real money speaks louder to TPTB  than foreign policy politics!

Wouldn't they just vote no then, and move on?

Edited by pfife

1 minute ago, Motown Bombers said:

I mean, why don't more schools just give into mobs? 

No giving in.   They just vote no on the proposal.    Not shocked you didn't read the article.   

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

What isn't speculative is there was no encampment problem at Brown and Brown owes the protestors nothing but a vote of No from the board of corporate governors on their divestiture proposal.

Obviously a successful tactic in avoiding the protestor mess other schools experienced.

Edited by pfife

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, pfife said:

Wouldn't they just vote no then, and move on?

who is getting to vote? I'm not particularly excited getting into the weeds of Brown's org chart. The vote goes to the "Corporation", whoever that is.  But Brown's endowment committee apparently proposed divestment a couple of years ago and the U Prez would not submit that to whoever the "Corporation" is so you may have a 'one-of' situation at Brown. I would guess that at a place like UM, it's a Regent's issue and only a Regent's issue. They pretty much set their own agenda - though probably based on what the admin asks to bring them in a given month. And I doubt a vote by group as narrow as the Regents at UM would satisfy many protesters - and practically speaking, with an issue like that if they were of a mind to do it they already would have.

Edited by gehringer_2

Posted (edited)

The article said it was Brown University’s corporate board gets to vote.

The tactic actually worked for all people involved so far.   I don't know if a no vote will bring back protestors, that's a question that remains.   But it was a peaceful solution that worked... for now.  If/when they come back, you deal with that then. 

Since we're doing a lot of guessing and speculating, I'd speculate that Columbia wishes they woulda done what Brown did. 

Edited by pfife