The Gaza War

gehringer_2

Pretty good argument for why Hamas has to be completely defanged before anything positive can happen. The problem remains the insane level of tribalism inside Muslim/arab cultures. The public knows that Hamas is destroying theirs lives, but the public at large will still not sell out Hamas to Israel. Pretty much just like someUS Repubs. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hongbit said:

Wow,  that’s an extreme take. 

I’d respect you if you just came out and said “I’m an anti-Semite and I don’t like Jews.”  Be a man and own it, Tater.   It sure seems that’s what you believe.  I’m not sure how to view it another way.  

I see a bunch of young kids that have grown up all of their life seeing images of “Death to Israel” and “from the river to the sea” chants from countries all throughout the Arab world.   They think this is accepted behavior because it has been when it’s about Israel.   I don’t like the chant but I don’t blame them based on what they’ve been exposed to as normal.

There was a rally in Dearborn, at a city owner theatre, a few days after Oct 7, before Israel responded where people were chanting and signing and dancing.   I took it to mean they were happily anticipating what was coming be then they could “justifiably” spew  anti semetic rhetoric. 

Hamas are like modern day republicans.  They can fight a different game, hide among civilians, not care if 10 Palestinians die if it means 1 jew dies, and the media will always give them a pass and expect the other side to take the high road in the battle.  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, oblong said:

There was a rally in Dearborn, at a city owner theatre, a few days after Oct 7, before Israel responded where people were chanting and signing and dancing.   I took it to mean they were happily anticipating what was coming be then they could “justifiably” spew  anti semetic rhetoric. 

Hamas are like modern day republicans.  They can fight a different game, hide among civilians, not care if 10 Palestinians die if it means 1 jew dies, and the media will always give them a pass and expect the other side to take the high road in the battle.  

Also like Republicans, Hamas got groups of people they despise to join them like the LGBT for Palestine. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Hongbit said:

Wow,  that’s an extreme take. 

I’d respect you if you just came out and said “I’m an anti-Semite and I don’t like Jews.”  Be a man and own it, Tater.   It sure seems that’s what you believe.  I’m not sure how to view it another way.  

I see a bunch of young kids that have grown up all of their life seeing images of “Death to Israel” and “from the river to the sea” chants from countries all throughout the Arab world.   They think this is accepted behavior because it has been when it’s about Israel.   I don’t like the chant but I don’t blame them based on what they’ve been exposed to as normal.

When Palestinian people chant horrific things it gets condemn as anti-Semitic, but when Israeli people chant horrific things it's not Islamophobic? 

On 6/1/2024 at 7:01 PM, gehringer_2 said:

Pretty good argument for why Hamas has to be completely defanged before anything positive can happen. The problem remains the insane level of tribalism inside Muslim/arab cultures. The public knows that Hamas is destroying theirs lives, but the public at large will still not sell out Hamas to Israel. Pretty much just like someUS Repubs. 

Isn't Israel just in the same conundrum we were in with the Taliban and Afghanistan and the quagmire we got into with the Iraqi government? What is Israel's day after plan or exit strategy? We left Afghanistan and the Taliban took right back over and we had 20 years of war and occupation just to secede power back to the people with took out in the first place.

Without the IDF being already more of an occupying force than it already is, what's to say Israel doesn't leave and within 6 months some version of Hamas or a Hamas-like government is back in power? It seems to me that for Hamas to permanently fall it has to happen from within, by the people of Gaza themselves, with outside support backing it up and not leading the charge. Maybe I will be wrong and Hamas will be gone for good from Gaza once the war is over, if it ever ends, and they will have been able to force regime change and successfully keep a new, non-Hamas regime in place.

20 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

It seems to me that for Hamas to permanently fall it has to happen from within, by the people of Gaza themselve

It can't because they just kill their internal opposition. It's like expecting Xi or Putin to fall from the inside. It's not that hard to prevent if you kill enough people, and killing is something Hamas has as little compunction about as you will find anywhere.

I don't hate Jewish people or the Jewish religion and take great offense to that being said. There is sizable a difference between criticizing the Isreali government and IDF and hating Jewish people. You're also ignoring all the times on here I've condemned Hamas and the barbaric acts on October 7th. I've made many posts here condemning Hamas and acknowledging their barbaric acts of terrorism. 

8 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

It can't because they just kill their internal opposition. It's like expecting Xi or Putin to fall from the inside. It's not that hard to prevent if you kill enough people, and killing is something Hamas has as little compunction about as you will find anywhere.

So then what is the exit strategy for Isreal without being a permanent occupying force? How do they prevent Hamas or a group akin to them from regaining power as the Taliban did in Afghanistan?

30 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Isn't Israel just in the same conundrum we were in with the Taliban and Afghanistan and the quagmire we got into with the Iraqi government? What is Israel's day after plan or exit strategy? We left Afghanistan and the Taliban took right back over and we had 20 years of war and occupation just to secede power back to the people with took out in the first place.

Without the IDF being already more of an occupying force than it already is, what's to say Israel doesn't leave and within 6 months some version of Hamas or a Hamas-like government is back in power? It seems to me that for Hamas to permanently fall it has to happen from within, by the people of Gaza themselves, with outside support backing it up and not leading the charge. Maybe I will be wrong and Hamas will be gone for good from Gaza once the war is over, if it ever ends, and they will have been able to force regime change and successfully keep a new, non-Hamas regime in place.

It isn't the same. The rest of the world rallied around the US and didn't demand a ceasefire from the US before Bin Laden was killed. The rest of the world didn't falsely accuse the US of a genocide. The rest of the world wasn't protesting and chanting from the Atlantic to the Pacific Al Qaeda will be free. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

So then what is the exit strategy for Isreal without being a permanent occupying force? How do they prevent Hamas or a group akin to them from regaining power as the Taliban did in Afghanistan?

Release the hostages and we'll figure that out. Israel has a right to defend itself.