10/25/2023 7:30 EDT Detroit Pistons vs Miami Heat

Tigeraholic1

Would’ve loved to see Ausar out there in the 4th over Killian.

Either way, I’m happy with a competitive, one point loss against the defending Eastern Conference Champs. Defense was up and down but overall way better than last season. Cade was unstoppable. Stew and Duren were tough in the paint. Fun game. 

Next game I’d rather see Burks in the starting lineup over Hayes. Or even Sasser who plays just as hard as Killian on defense but he can also shoot. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Betrayer said:

Either way, I’m happy with a competitive, one point loss against the defending Eastern Conference Champs. Defense was up and down but overall way better than last season. Cade was unstoppable. Stew and Duren were tough in the paint. Fun game. 

Next game I’d rather see Burks in the starting lineup over Hayes. Or even Sasser who plays just as hard as Killian on defense but he can also shoot. 

ausar provides even less of an outside threat than killian.  ausar is going to be a great player one day if the shot improves, but not yet.  he was even worse than killian on offense.

ivey might have been the worst player on the floor not named tyler herro (only because wiseman didnt play).

15 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

That last shot was really tough.  Hard to get something good when you only have one threat.

yup. The obvious play for any other team is Cade plays decoy and your #2 choice takes the shot, but for the Pistons #2 is more like #6.

OTOH, at this point a performance like that from Cade is more significant than the loss.

Edited by gehringer_2

4 minutes ago, buddha said:

ausar provides even less of an outside threat than killian.

Yea, I’m not so sure about that. Neither of them shot well, but Ausar was 1-2 from three and shot 40% from deep in preseason. Killian was 0-6 and shot 22% in preseason to go along with a history of bricks from three. I’d rather have Ausar out there for everything else he brings defensively and on the glass, because it’s not even close in those areas. 

• Like 1

It’s crazy to think that Killian was out there instead of Ivey in crunch time.  But I do like the message it sends about defense.  Ivey was one of the laziest defenders on the team last season.  It makes sense to me that Monty might be trying to send a message here.

11 hours ago, Betrayer said:

That's kind of what I was thinking.  Either that, or just be mindful of splitting up a pairing of Hayes & Stewart on the floor too much.

Thompson's offense isn't there now.  But I want him out there as much as possible to pair with Cunningham for development purposes and as that constant defensive threat on/from the wing.  Let that defensive havoc result in an extra break or two per game.  It might not seem like much directly, but if it unsettles the opposition enough throughout the game, that'll be helpful as well.

Like you said, fun game where they looked competitive.  I'm not sure what happened with that last play, I think Kelser brought up the fact that any player going away from the basket is not ideal for a final shot attempt, which makes sense.  But the fact that there was a final play against a team like Miami is encouraging.