10/25/2023 7:30 EDT Detroit Pistons vs Miami Heat

Tigeraholic1

Good effort. I especially liked the defense although Miami isn't the best offensive team.

Cade looked great but he needs some help offensively. When the shooting guard is going 0-6 from three and Stewart is the second best offensive player in the starting lineup, that's going to be a big problem until Bogey returns. On the other hand, the defense on the interior especially was stout, the Pistons have lots of length and/or athleticism with the Ausar, Stewart and Duren frontcourt and Cade looked noticeably better/more engaged defensively.

I don't know what to make of Ivey. It's only 1 game into his 2nd season but I was concerned about the fit when they drafted him and still am even moreso now. I like the idea of him running the bench unit and being in for 4th quarter stretches when he's on but that's a poor use of resources for a top 5 pick and it seems to have gotten into his head a bit with him looking off in preseason and this game. I can't help but to wonder what Sharpe or Mathruin would look like alongside Cade, Ausar and Duren long term.

Edited by NYLion

11 minutes ago, NYLion said:

... the defense on the interior especially was stout, the Pistons have lots of length and/or athleticism with the Ausar, Stewart and Duren frontcourt and Cade looked noticeably better/more engaged defensively.

The Milwaukee Bucks "Long-armed defenders" defense.

We can only hope to get there (or at least a reasonable facsimile) one day...

12 hours ago, Betrayer said:

Yea, I’m not so sure about that. Neither of them shot well, but Ausar was 1-2 from three and shot 40% from deep in preseason. Killian was 0-6 and shot 22% in preseason to go along with a history of bricks from three. I’d rather have Ausar out there for everything else he brings defensively and on the glass, because it’s not even close in those areas. 

Yep. That's exactly it. Ausar will likely be a non-factor offensively especially early in the season but he brings so much more to the table that's invaluable, stuff that Killian doesn't. You can have one black hole on offense but you can't have two so you keep the one that has more intangibles in the starting lineup which is clearly Ausar even just 1 game into his career.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

And this is with Cade playing lights out.  

I want to believe that Cade is ready to take a big leap but I need to see a few more games of this in the near future before I fully buy in.  Last night could not have gone any better though from the standpoint of finding somebody to build around. 

i assume killian plays because he's the point guard and can pass, run the offense, and play defense.  ausar is a swiss army knife but probably doesnt know the offense well enough to play point guard (and his handle isnt good enough yet).  so killian plays and ausar doesnt.  neither can shoot.  

someone other than cade has to handle the rock.

now, why hayes and not ivey?  has to be defense.

14 minutes ago, buddha said:

i assume killian plays because he's the point guard and can pass, run the offense, and play defense.

It's hard enough to win with a front court player in the game who can't shoot, even harder with a back court player who can't. I can understand it being hard to find multi-skilled big men, in three years it shouldn't have been that hard to find a guard somewhere with a skill set that would better complement Cade's, he doesn't need to be an all-star.  I can only conclude Hayes shows stuff in practice that keeps them hoping he will eventually produce in games.

Edited by gehringer_2

killian didnt play as badly as you guys are making it out to be.  he guarded one of the heat's best players for most of the night and did a nice job of it.  the ability to handle the ball is important, especially when the other team is doubling cade all the time, someone else has to be able to pass and initiate the offense and let cade get open.  killian does that.  

everyone is high on ausar because he stuffed the stat sheet, but his defense wasnt that great and his offensive contribution is put backs and one made three (and one abysmally missed three).  he cant handle the ball, he cant run the offense, he has to stand in the corner and hope for a back door alley oop.  they ignore him on offense.  he was the lowest +/- on the team yesterday (a stupid stat, but still...)

stew has to become a legit threat from 3 or he cant play with duren and duren must play because he's such a great athlete.  bagley would have been better than stew in the floor spacing regars, although having him come off the bench and score is probably his best role.

not having morris was an issue because he could have played the killian role with better shooting and spaced the floor.

ivey is a problem.  ivey must pick up the defense in order to displace killian.  he cant sulk like he did yesterday.  if he cant stay in front of anyone he won't start, if he wants to sulk and not embrace the 6th man scoring role he's no good to anyone.  have vinnie talk to him or something.

ivey has to hit.  he has to be able to shoot or get to the bucket to free up cade.  or lead the second unit with bagley and score.  he was worthless last night.  stop sulking.

when bogey comes back i assume he takes ausar's or stew's place.  i cant see duren sitting.  when morris comes back he takes killian's place.

i dont know what the plan is for harris.  he can space the flooe but barely played and not at all with cade.