10/28/2023 7:00 EDT Detroit Pistons vs Chicago Bulls

Tigeraholic1

1 hour ago, Hart said:

I have always loved the Webber comparison for Duren and ...

I always thought Shawn Kemp... 

Maybe because of their builds...

I never thought of Webber at all because he wasn't much of a rebounder or shot-blocker,

and Duren is a demon on both...

But he's trending closer to Patrick Ewing.

That's who I'm sticking with (even though Ewing wasn't any more of a rebounder than Webber)...

Until I see otherwise.

1 hour ago, 1984Echoes said:

I always thought Shawn Kemp... 

Maybe because of their builds...

I never thought of Webber at all because he wasn't much of a rebounder or shot-blocker,

and Duren is a demon on both...

But he's trending closer to Patrick Ewing.

That's who I'm sticking with (even though Ewing wasn't any more of a rebounder than Webber)...

Until I see otherwise.

patrick ewing was a back to the basket traditional center with post moves playing in an age where centers were the focus of the offense.  he was big and slow, taller and stronger than everyone else who developed a solid jump shot.

jalen duren is a face the basket pick and roll dive man.  he's nothing like patrick ewing.  

I am not old enough to remember young Ewing.  But I definitely remember old Ewing as a skilled post up center who could face the basket as well.  

He's some combination of these guys.  He does have the explosiveness like McDyess and Kemp.  I think he will be a better passer than both of them.  And he probably has more upside as a rebounder than both of them as well.  Webber did not have the explosiveness of Kemp or McDyess but was a really good passer.  I doubt Duren reach's Webber's level as a passer but I am hopeful he can get somewhat close.  

Edited by Hart

Ewing had that intimidating physique.  Both he and Duren are pretty cut, but Ewing had more mass to his frame.  His shadow would knock you on your ass if you drove the lane and I’m not sure Duren is thick enough to have a shadow.

Edited by casimir

35 minutes ago, buddha said:

patrick ewing was a back to the basket traditional center with post moves playing in an age where centers were the focus of the offense.  he was big and slow, taller and stronger than everyone else who developed a solid jump shot.

jalen duren is a face the basket pick and roll dive man.  he's nothing like patrick ewing.  

yeah - the relaxation in the strict MtoM defense rules and 3 point shooting mean we're not likely to see a come back in that style of center play so those comparisons to players from that era aren't very apt anymore. Even if a guys comes up that looks like Ewing physically, he's not like to play the same kind of game. A star at that size today is going to have to play more like Embiid.

Edited by gehringer_2

1 hour ago, buddha said:

I meant on defense, not offense.

I won't know how to characterize his offense until he fully develops... I think it's too early to make a call on closest comps on O...

But yeah, Ewing is probably ruled out automatically as an O-comparison.

PS: I didn't mean to completely ignore Offense...

In its most simplistic terms:

Kemp was a stampede rolling to the basket, reminding me of what Duren looks like he could turn into. But all 3 of Kemp, Ewing & Duren look like they can put up points in various different ways (in its most simplistic form, I know Ewing was OLD school) but, also... I hope Duren can sit in the 74% FT's like Kemp & Ewing, and not in the 65% area like Webber and McDyess; which, I think he can. 

Maybe he'll set a completely new standard and all new PF/ C's coming into the league will soon be compared to Jalen Duren.

Andre Drummond is the comp for Duren.

So so defender with athletic skills to be much better.  Excellent rebounder who relies on physical/size advantage rather than technique.  Absolutely zero basketball skill.

Now we hope he develops better than Drummond did.  Year 1 Drummond was basically the same player year 7 Drummond was.  That is bad, especially after he signed that huge extension.  A guy like that is fine on a rookie deal when he takes up 5-7% of your cap.  But he is bad when he takes up 25% of your cap.  So hopefully Duren develops some skill.  A jumper, post moves, something.  

31 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

So so defender with athletic skills to be much better.  Excellent rebounder who relies on physical/size advantage rather than technique.  Absolutely zero basketball skill.

Now we hope he develops better than Drummond did.  Year 1 Drummond was basically the same player year 7 Drummond was.  That is bad, especially after he signed that huge extension.  A guy like that is fine on a rookie deal when he takes up 5-7% of your cap.  But he is bad when he takes up 25% of your cap.  So hopefully Duren develops some skill.  A jumper, post moves, something.  

ok sam...

duren is a lot less lumbering than andre was and has a much different body type.  i also think he's more athletic than drummond and in much better shape.

but if the question is what type of player he is now, i guess drummond is a comp.  duren is a rim runner who can't shoot like drummond was and should have been before he got ahead of himself and thought he was patrick ewing.

i think duren can be better than that because he looks more coordinated than drummond ever was.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, buddha said:

ok sam...

duren is a lot less lumbering than andre was and has a much different body type.  i also think he's more athletic than drummond and in much better shape.

but if the question is what type of player he is now, i guess drummond is a comp.  duren is a rim runner who can't shoot like drummond was and should have been before he got ahead of himself and thought he was patrick ewing.

i think duren can be better than that because he looks more coordinated than drummond ever was.

Jalen Duren could hit a free throw at 19. That puts his development 8 yrs ahead of Drummond.

17 hours ago, Hart said:

I have always loved the Webber comparison for Duren and I often find myself wondering what kind of player Webber was at the same age when I watch Duren.  I don't remember Webber having much of a jump shot at Michigan.  Given that Duren was over 60% on free throws last year and is over 70% in the early going this year, I do think he will eventually develop a nice mid range jump shot.  

Webber definitely had more range than Duren at the same age, Webber had more refined ball skills. Duren has that Webber passing ability out of the high post though and he's a better rebounder. Dwight Howard is the guy I see, a complete force in the paint. Maybe like a Howard/Adebayo hybrid?

Either way, he's special already and just to think that he's only 19. How good is he going to be at 23? Sky is the limit really.

Edited by NYLion

1 hour ago, Deleterious said:

Duren is a better defender than Drummond ever was and Duren absolutely has skills, did you not see those passes in the 1st quarter? That's not something that most bigs can do. Duren is also far more athletic than Drummond, he has Dwight Howard/Shawn Kemp level athleticism. Drummond can't compare to that.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, NYLion said:

Webber definitely had more range than Duren at the same age, Webber had more refined ball skills. Duren has that Webber passing ability out of the high post though and he's a better rebounder. Dwight Howard is the guy I see, a complete force in the paint. Maybe like a Howard/Adebayo hybrid?

Either way, he's special already and just to think that he's only 19. How good is he going to be at 23? Sky is the limit really.

Agree- don't really see the Weber comp outside of the passing either.