11/01/2023 7:00 EDT Detroit Pistons vs Portland Trail Blazers

Tigeraholic1

I'm starting to wonder if Cade is a PG. He's one of the worst ball handlers I've ever seen and it seems to be getting worse and worse.  It's not like the handle itself is bad, it's that he's very lazy/careless with the ball and stuff like that just doesn't seem fixable. 

Edited by NYLion

Frustrating loss. 4th quarter offense looked like Casey was back at the helm. All hero ball, no movement, no cutting, nothing. 

On the other end, the refs were in love with with Sharpe. They shot 33 free throws to our 11. 

Sure, we were playing third string players due to 4 key injuries, but you still have to beat the worst team in the league when you have a 15 pt lead in the 3rd and their star rookie leaves the game with an injury. 

Still not terribly concerned about Cade and the TO's.  Guys with high usg% are going to have a lot of TO's.  Cade is turning it over 16% of the time, which is somewhat high.  But Lebron is at 15.2%.  Ingram at 17%.  Victor is over 22%.  Booker is almost 17%.  Duren is at 16%.  Jokic is about 14%.

Still needs to be worked on but it isn't the end of the world.

7 hours ago, Deleterious said:

I was in and out of the game and I didn't realize Killian had 0 points.  How does a guard play 26 minutes and not score?  And only 1 assist?  Time to start Sasser.  

Sasser played well and was in the game down the stretch but they basically just sat him in the corner on offense to do nothing but watch Cade.  I agree he needs to start and he needs to be more involved.  

Let’s see what we got here. 

Edited by Hart

8 hours ago, Deleterious said:

Still not terribly concerned about Cade and the TO's.  Guys with high usg% are going to have a lot of TO's.  Cade is turning it over 16% of the time, which is somewhat high.  But Lebron is at 15.2%.  Ingram at 17%.  Victor is over 22%.  Booker is almost 17%.  Duren is at 16%.  Jokic is about 14%.

Still needs to be worked on but it isn't the end of the world.

Just curious, where are you getting the %s from?

11 hours ago, Deleterious said:

I am officially concerned about Ivey.  I figured he would respond to the benching by at least giving better effort on defense.  But he looks even worse than last year.  That is a huge red flag.  

Definitely concerning. Especially when you see he only played 22 minutes even though Burks was out. Monty was using a small ball lineup with Stew at the 5, yet he chose to use Sasser, Harris, and even Umude while Ivey rode the pine. I won't lie, I would've gone with Sasser too.

I've said it a few times, but I don't think he's here next season. It's feeling like a Saddiq Bey scenario or (even worse) an Ayton situation with Monty.

And yea, Killian is terrible. Lots of jokes out there that Killian is our Landry Shamet who Monty apparently loved in Phoenix no matter how bad he played. He needs to be benched immediately.

there has to be something going on with ivey we dont see.  its obvious how to fix the starting lineup woes...

sasser is always going to be a bench guy, imo.  he's too small.

duren is already such a key to this team.  no interior defense with him out of the lineup.

i was never a huge saddiq guy.  seems like an average filler nba player.  but he's better than james freaking wiseman!  wiseman finally got to play and what happened?  the same **** that always happens.  fouls.  bad offense.  -14.

that was a ****ty trade.

19 hours ago, NYLion said:

I'm starting to wonder if Cade is a PG. He's one of the worst ball handlers I've ever seen and it seems to be getting worse and worse.  It's not like the handle itself is bad, it's that he's very lazy/careless with the ball and stuff like that just doesn't seem fixable. 

I don't see him as a full time point guard, at least not yet.  It's not just the turnovers.  He doesn't handle the ball as well as point guards do, or have the athleticism to offset this.  He is definitely a plus ball handler for a two guard but not to the level of a point guard.  

Sometimes I get the feeling that Piston's fans, and maybe the organization itself, feels like Cade is a failure in some sense if he does not turn out to be a great point guard.  That is totally the wrong mentality.  Cade can be a very good player without being a very good point guard.  There is value in being a great passer as a shooting guard (it will just be 4 or 5 assists per game instead of 8 or 9...nothing wrong with this).  His three point shot looks to be really developing.  He can still play some pick and roll and take guys off the dribble in a two guard role.  He plays hard and is a good defender.  I just don't see the necessity that Cade has to be the next Scottie Pippen, Grant Hill, or Luka Doncic.  

Edited by Hart

I thought Ivey showed more offensive ability sooner than I expected last year.  I was really excited about him.  But I agree the defense is becoming a real concern long term because you can't have a guy out there in crunch time who gives back on defense equal or more than what he gives you on offense.  Best case scenario for him then becomes an offensive spark off the bench.  Which is really disappointing for the 5th overall pick and a guy with his talent.