Week Seventeen: Detroit Lions (11-4) @ Dallas Cowboys (10-5)

MichiganCardinal

replays showed decker was NOT covered up and was eligible.  there was nothing wrong with the formation.

also, skipper never even got close to the ref before the ref ran away.  sewell and decker walk over and it looks like decker said something.

then the ref announces 70 as eligible.

i dont knkw what recourse the lions have at that point.  they dont have any timeouts, the refs announce the wrong guy, what can they do?  call an audible because the refs screwed up?

in fairness to dallas, they were told 70 was eligible, not 68.  so theyre not thinking about 68 (in theory).

either way, this looks like a complete **** show by the refs.

Just now, Motown Bombers said:

We've totally forgotten the obvious pass interference on St Brown that wasn't called during that drive. 

Oh I didn't forget that one but they scored anyway so it doesn't get talked about but it was an egregious non-call. Even Aikman was baffled

So it appears there were 2 flags thrown on that conversion, one for illegal touch (Decker), the other for illegal formation (Skipper). Reason for Skipper being flagged is they thought it was him who reported as eligible (which he didn't), so he was flagged because he was covered by Sewell - which would be an ineligible position. Decker was flagged because they mistakenly thought he didn't report, which he did. Seems pretty clear the referee just blundered that whole thing by being confused about the right number/player

The NBA had a ref that was openly betting on games. No reason to at least have the league bring in an outside, independent investigator and ombudsman to investigate Brad Allen's decision and conduct during and prior to this game to ensure he had no financial invective for a particular outcome of this game. The Lions organization should demand an independent investigation into not only the play and decision on the field but into Brad Allen himself. I'm not saying he's another Tim Donaghy, but Brad Allen's financial records need to be monitored. He should also not be officiating another game until the conclusion of the investigation. 

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

2 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

The NBA had a ref that was openly betting on games. No reason to at least have the league bring in an outside, independent investigator and ombudsman to investigate Brad Allen's decision and conduct during and prior to this game to ensure he had no financial invective for a particular outcome of this game. The Lions organization should demand an independent investigation into not only the play and decision on the field but into Brad Allen himself. I'm not saying he's another Tim Donaghy, but Brad Allen's financial records need to be monitored. He should also not be officiating another game uintil the conclusion of the investigation. 

I don't think he was cheating, I think he was incompetent. And is now being stupidly stubborn.

I do want to say that I think it is worth noting that Dallas did have all their timeouts and a kicker that hasn't missed all year with 60+ yard range so its still not a sure thing the Lions would've won anyway. Obviously doesn't excuse the call though.

BTW after seeing Dan's "interview" and how upset he was I do wonder if that played a factor in him still going for 2 despite the penalty. To do it initially was imo a good tactical move but scoring from the 3 vs. the 8 is a big difference. Like say I wonder if the Lions would've done a false start on that first play that pushed them back 5 yards would he still have elected to go for it? 

Edited by RandyMarsh

Campbell went for it out of spite.  He lost his cool. Ref made a mistake and then Campbell made one.  And then johnson made his final one by calling a play for Mitchell, a play that forced Goff to make an out route throw, one he couldn’t make all night.  Lions had their chances. That bad 2 pt call isn’t the reason they lost. I fully expect Dallas would have kicked a FG to win had the play stood.  Lions should have won by two scores with the way the defense played. 

7 hours ago, buddha said:

he walked right over to the ref and reported. 

in studio official said it wouldnt have mattered because he was covered up anyway.  regardless, that's not what they called.

the lions getting screwed by the refs in dallas is a right of passage, i guess.

He wasn't covered up. WR was off the line.