NFC Super Wildcard Weekend: Los Angeles Rams (10-7) @ Detroit Lions (12-5)

28 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I mean this isn't surprising but I have to admit that it is pretty annoying to me that now even the NFL is focusing more on Stafford's return than the Lions actually hosting a playoff game for the first time in 30 years. 

I know, it's a bit much.  They need to focus on other things, like - did you know that he and Clayton Kershaw were on the same baseball team as kids? 

• Like 2

Looking at that picture a little more closely I can't help but notice they have somebody in a Calvin Johnson jersey too, its like the NFL has no idea who plays for our team now so they just jerseys of past greats, surprised somebody isn't wearing a number 20 jersey as well. 

Edit: I do genuinely love the fact that they included the Macho Man Randy Savage fan so they atleast know about some of our more famous fans. 

Edited by RandyMarsh

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

I mean this isn't surprising but I have to admit that it is pretty annoying to me that now even the NFL is focusing more on Stafford's return than the Lions actually hosting a playoff game for the first time in 30 years. 

This shouldn't be surprising. Stafford returning to Detroit is THE biggest story of this matchup nationally.

Edited by NYLion

Definitely winning the turnover battle will be a key but it also will come down to avoiding and/or forcing the more painful turnovers like the ones in either red zone. Stafford is known for throwing alot of 3rd and long picks and while those count as turnovers they ultimately don't result in much of a difference than a punt would so winning the battle that way won't really impact things that much. 

To me I think both teams will move the ball relatively easy from one 20 yard line to the other, it's going to come down to who performs in the red zone and who can avoid the aforementioned "painful turnover" like the kind that takes potential points off the board or gives your opponent potential points. 

3 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

55 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Definitely winning the turnover battle will be a key but it also will come down to avoiding and/or forcing the more painful turnovers like the ones in either red zone. Stafford is known for throwing alot of 3rd and long picks and while those count as turnovers they ultimately don't result in much of a difference than a punt would so winning the battle that way won't really impact things that much. 

To me I think both teams will move the ball relatively easy from one 20 yard line to the other, it's going to come down to who performs in the red zone and who can avoid the aforementioned "painful turnover" like the kind that takes potential points off the board or gives your opponent potential points. 

So:

"Winning the red zone...

Wins the game."

?

I think I like that better than my turnovers bit... Which could still be a part of winning the red zone to your point...

PS: And that covers BOTH the Offense and the Defense...

Edited by 1984Echoes

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

Detroit’s secondary is known for giving up a lot of 3rd and long completions. That said, I think the game will hinge on whether Detroit can take advantage of a third safety to disguise coverage and force Stafford into a bad throw or two. 

7 minutes ago, Jason_R said:

Detroit’s secondary is known for giving up a lot of 3rd and long completions. That said, I think the game will hinge on whether Detroit can take advantage of a third safety to disguise coverage and force Stafford into a bad throw or two. 

The Rams 2 receivers have me a bit concerned. We've all seen Stafford's abilities, he has a strong and accurate arm. Detroit needs to get consistent pressure on him. And on offense, we need to run the ball and control the clock.

The Lions can win today similarly to how Michigan won. I think they have a good run defense, like Michigan, and control the line of scrimmage to limit Williams and take the Rams running game away. I think they make the Rams offense one dimensional and we all know how Matt Stafford can be when he's one dimensional. We know he can put a team on his back and win, but also know when forced to sling it, with no run game, how he can look without help. 

The other similarities with Michigan and the way they beat Washington are our run game and offensive line protection. We run the ball as good, or better, than anyone. Of course that helps us to produce offensive production and points. Our running game also leads to us controlling the clock and limiting our opponents number of possessions. If the Rams are forced out of running the ball and have to gunsling it with Stafford than I think that could mean we're in control of the total number of possessions. 

The obvious, big differences with Michigan is our lack of pass rush and terrible play by our corners. We give up tons of big plays because we don't get pressure on the QB and our corners can't cover man on man. We ask our corner to hold coverage longer than they can be expected too and we just don't have the talent back there to ask them to go man coverage against Cupp and Nakua all night long.