2024 NFL Draft

5 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

... I don't think it'll happen in the first three rounds. I think they will take the best DB, EDGE, WR, or IOL available with each of those picks. But in the 5th and beyond...

Exactly why I think they look at RB (the part I cut out of your quote): To improve upon Craig Reynolds. Nice glue guy and not a bad backup... But I think part of Holmes/ Campbell's strategy is to ALWAYS look for a RB because they get beat up so much that a team better have a decent "next man up" candidate whenever the inevitable NFL injury occurs. And I think the team will at least add competition to CR's backup spot.

The part I left in my quoting of your above post: That's why I said they would need a trade down and extra picks before getting to RB, if they were to do so, as high as the 3rd round. IE: Trade down of 1st for a 2nd and 3rd = two 2nds and two 3rds.

I agree with your list: Edge is a need and there are a few interesting candidates in the top 3 rounds. Loaded WR draft = excellent candidates first 3 rounds, same with CB and IOL. Particularly IOL that can play both Center and OG, which also aligns nicely with the Lions needs.

I believe there are "Lions type of players" at all 4 of those spots, with huge amounts of talent/ domination/ "grit" skills to boot. But with the RB's virtually getting ignored... by the time we get to the 3rd round... NOW those top two RB's (Brooks and Benson) are going to have more talent than the 6th or 7th IOL, or CB, or WR, or Edge... so, if Holmes/ Campbell "LOVES" either of these guys, I think they get drafted ahead of another player that they love less just because the other spot is at a higher need. They've already proven that.

Otherwise... I think if they keep the three-only top-3 round picks that we currently have, that there are enough CB's/ WR's/ Edge/ IOL's that they "love" that they stick to that and use a later pick on RB. Only if they add another pick or two do in the top 3 rounds does a RB come into play.

Just my 2 cents.

10 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

Lions will trade way up and take Marvin Harrison Jr.

the falcons traded up from 27 to 6 to get julio jones.  it cost them two firsts, a second, and two fourths.

would you trade 29, 61, and next year's first, and next year's two fourths (one from eagles) for the 4th pick to take harrison or nabors?

It’s not out of the realm for Brad.  He learned at the Rams that once you reach a certain talent level the 1’s aren’t as essential.  It’s more important to hit on the 3rd and 4th rounders.   The Lions are at this point on their roster.  

19 minutes ago, buddha said:

the falcons traded up from 27 to 6 to get julio jones.  it cost them two firsts, a second, and two fourths.

would you trade 29, 61, and next year's first, and next year's two fourths (one from eagles) for the 4th pick to take harrison or nabors?

Give Ben Johnson a weapon like Harrison and the Lions offense would be unstoppable. Would I do it? It doesn't matter, it only matters what Brad would do. And my post was tongue in cheek but can you even imagine the reaction? Detroit would come even more alive!

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

Give Ben Johnson a weapon like Harrison and the Lions offense would be unstoppable....

I don't think the Lions need Harrison to become unstoppable.

I think they can be JUST as deadly, with:

Brian Thomas

Adonai Mitchell

Xavier Legette

Amongst a list of several others that have huge "X" receiver ability, in this deep draft for WR's.

IMO.

Edited by 1984Echoes
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

It’s not out of the realm for Brad.  He learned at the Rams that once you reach a certain talent level the 1’s aren’t as essential.  It’s more important to hit on the 3rd and 4th rounders.   The Lions are at this point on their roster.  

So:

I can't see giving up several 3rds and 4ths in this or the next draft.

The move up for a WR in the top 10 is nonsensical in this DEEP draft for WR's.

And.. I think their are going to be too many players in this particular draft that Holmes/ Campbell would "LOVE" to put into a Lions uniform, within the top 3 rounds, to give them up for one guy that doesn't make sense to trade up for.

Aside from that... I agree, not out of the realm for Brad. And... I definitely wanna see Brad hit on some more 1st to 5th rounders these next two drafts to "fully stock the shelves" so to speak... whereupon I also fully expect Brad to start "swinging for the fences" with power moves from then on...

15 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

So:

I can't see giving up several 3rds and 4ths in this or the next draft.

The move up for a WR in the top 10 is nonsensical in this DEEP draft for WR's.

And.. I think their are going to be too many players in this particular draft that Holmes/ Campbell would "LOVE" to put into a Lions uniform, within the top 3 rounds, to give them up for one guy that doesn't make sense to trade up for.

Aside from that... I agree, not out of the realm for Brad. And... I definitely wanna see Brad hit on some more 1st to 5th rounders these next two drafts to "fully stock the shelves" so to speak... whereupon I also fully expect Brad to start "swinging for the fences" with power moves from then on...

On offense, I think we're pretty well set. Maybe a WR3 and a RB3. And a project OL if one falls to us. I would really prefer defense in the 1st 2 rounds but I thought that last year and ended up NOT being disappointed. What will Brad do? I have no idea but I'll support any decision he makes. Of course we don't need Harrison but just take a second and imagine it. The fans would go totally crazy!

SI: Among the teams exploring a trade up are the Detroit Lions, who are sitting at 29. After two consecutive years of multiple first-round picks (which brought them Aidan Hutchinson, Jameson Williams, Jahmyr Gibbs and Jack Campbell), the Lions are likely looking for an edge opposite Hutchinson, or perhaps another corner.

2 hours ago, RatkoVarda said:

SI: Among the teams exploring a trade up are the Detroit Lions, who are sitting at 29. After two consecutive years of multiple first-round picks (which brought them Aidan Hutchinson, Jameson Williams, Jahmyr Gibbs and Jack Campbell), the Lions are likely looking for an edge opposite Hutchinson, or perhaps another corner.

They have their cornerstone pass rusher. If they move up I presume it would be for a cornerstone CB. Most mocks have Mitchell and Arnold gone before 20, which according to the draft value chart would probably require picks 29, 61, and another. Not a fan, especially since McKinstry or Wiggins may be available at 29. But Arnold is a high character Alabama prospect which is a pedigree that appeals to Brad and Dan.

As much as I'd love to get Mitchell, I don't want to see us move up for him if we can get a player like Wiggins at #29. If somehow we only had to move up 2-3-4 spots I'd consider that move for sure. But if we have to try and move up 10-12 spots or so, then I'm out on that. 

Cooper Dejean has long seemed like an ideal Brad Holmes Lions pick.  He checks off all the boxes.

If he’s still there in the early 20’s, I can very well see him jumping up in front of Green Bay to ensure they don’t lose him to a division rival.  

Holmes has earned my 100% complete trust.  If he trades back, great. Trades up, great.  He is playing chess, while most GM’s are playing checkers.  Looking back at his previous drafts here, how can anyone (especially us tortured Lions fans) question the man? 

I wish Lions fans would sit back this weekend and enjoy the ride.  Seeing as how this organization has never been in a position like this, you’d think they would believe in Holmes more than a hack like Mel Kiper.  Sadly, no matter who they pick, no matter how much a draft class like last year should shut them up, a bunch of clowns will get online and complain. I know this will happen and yet it pisses me off anyway.  

• Like 2

There will for sure be people complaining with whoever they pick but I also think that is just what some people do.  I have a few friends that just love to be negative or act like their negative.  Last year was fun to listen to their roller coaster season. 

For me, having a competent GM made this draft less interesting because I actually have faith in Holmes.  I have enjoyed looking at potential players but I am not invested in any of them based on mock drafts and what I think they should do.  

I have two players I am going to predict they take just for the fun of it though.  I think they come out of this draft with DeJean or Legette.

On 1/18/2024 at 4:26 PM, MichiganCardinal said:

Why do we want to trade Hooker?

Knock on every piece of wood in the two-mile radius, but although Goff has been very resilient in the last three years (owing in no small part to the offensive line), that is not the case league-wide. Aaron Rodgers, Anthony Richardson, Deshaun Watson, Daniel Jones, Kirk Cousins, Kyler Murray, Joe Burrow, Justin Fields, Justin Herbert, Ryan Tannehill, Jimmy Garrapollo, and Kenny Pickett all missed multiple weeks this season, and you could argue that a handful of those injuries substantially effected - if not totally derailed - their team's season.

We have him on a four-year contract, and I would be willing to bet (and hope to lose the bet) that even if Goff signs a long-term extension, Hooker would be needed to start at least one game over the next three years.

Rather than be relying on Tim Boyle or David Blough or [insert terribly mediocre backup here], I'd much rather be in a position to put our own version of Matt Cassel into the game, having been born and bred into the Lions' system, and then flip him when his value is highest.

The board was ready to burst into flames before we signed Teddy Bridgewater, why do we now want to get rid of the next probably-at-least-decent backup for pennies on the dollar?

This would be a really stupid, short sighted move. It’s definitely something Bob Quinn would do to get some other former patriots in the building. 
Luckily for us Lions fans, we don’t have to worry about crap like that anymore. 

1 hour ago, RJBrez said:

Holmes has earned my 100% complete trust.  If he trades back, great. Trades up, great.  He is playing chess, while most GM’s are playing checkers.  Looking back at his previous drafts here, how can anyone (especially us tortured Lions fans) question the man? 

I wish Lions fans would sit back this weekend and enjoy the ride.  Seeing as how this organization has never been in a position like this, you’d think they would believe in Holmes more than a hack like Mel Kiper.  Sadly, no matter who they pick, no matter how much a draft class like last year should shut them up, a bunch of clowns will get online and complain. I know this will happen and yet it pisses me off anyway.  

Welcome Back. 

Happy Draft Day everybody. I'm going down for all three days. Ford Field season ticket party tonight, tickets by the draft stage tomorrow, and just walking around enjoying the atmosphere on Saturday.

Hopefully those thunderstorms stay away this weekend, everyone plays by the rules, and everything goes swimmingly. The city really doesn't need a Kansas City parade situation on its hands.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

As much as I'd love to get Mitchell, I don't want to see us move up for him if we can get a player like Wiggins at #29. If somehow we only had to move up 2-3-4 spots I'd consider that move for sure. But if we have to try and move up 10-12 spots or so, then I'm out on that. 

If they trade up, I bet it's for Arnold if they trade up into the mid teens (listen to that kid speak, if he doesn't embody Brad/Dan culture I don't know who does) or DeJean if they're trading 5-6 spots up.