2024 NFC Championship Game: Detroit Lions (14-5) @ San Francisco 49ers (13-5)

2 hours ago, buddha said:

in the crowd at the sheffield wednesday-coventry match today.  lions are worldwide.

20240126_153810.jpg

Cowboys are the most valuable franchise, worth $9B. Lions are 31st at $3.6B. Average franchise is valued around $4.6B and only four franchises are worth less than $4B. Is it possible that the 2024 Lions valuation will be closer to that $4B range? It’s not out of the question that Holmes and Campbell might be responsible for having added hundreds of millions, maybe almost half a billion in valuation already. Who knows what that figure will be when they are done. 

Anyone flying to the Bay Area for the game… sure hope your plan isn't to go right back home after it. Makes no sense to come all the way out here and not stay for a couple of days. Any visit without a trip to Napa, or Monterey, or… hell, even Muir Woods… that’s  a wasted trip. Weather will be nice too

12 minutes ago, number20 said:

Anyone flying to the Bay Area for the game… sure hope your plan isn't to go right back home after it. Makes no sense to come all the way out here and not stay for a couple of days. Any visit without a trip to Napa, or Monterey, or… hell, even Muir Woods… that’s  a wasted trip. Weather will be nice too

This time will be a quick 24 hour trip for me but I've been to the Bay Area several times before and totally agree with you about the sights. One of the most memorable sporting days I've ever had as a participant rather than as a spectator was 13 year ago running the Miwok 100k ultramarathon. Took me a bit over 13 hours in the middle of the pack. Stinson Beach start at 5am, Muir Beach, sunrise view looking down at the Golden Gate Bridge, Marin Headlands, a big cat plonking itself in front of the table at the final aid station causing us to wisely bypass it (locals knew whether it was a cougar or bobcat or mountain lion but I forget which), etc. Glorious.

https://miwok100k.com/course/

Edited by lordstanley

41 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

It's always been a football town.

Speaking of football towns...   seems to me the 49ers should change their name to San Jose 49ers at this point. Calling them “San Francisco” no longer makes any sense. A few NFL teams do play a bit outside their home cities (i.e., Cowboys, Dolphins), but they're really not all that far. The 49ers pretty much play out of a different major city now. It’d be like moving the Lions to Toledo, but still calling them “Detroit Lions”