2024 NFC Championship Game: Detroit Lions (14-5) @ San Francisco 49ers (13-5)

On 1/26/2024 at 9:34 AM, Motown Bombers said:

Win or lose, the Lions will enter next season as legit Super Bowl contenders. 

Even if they fail to get the two corners they need? I mean, I don't expect them to sit on their hands this spring, but if they go into next season in the bottom quintile in secondary again, would you still expect that?

On 1/26/2024 at 2:22 PM, Sports_Freak said:

What would be worse, losing by a point (or within a score) or getting blown away? If they lost a really close game, I would be looking at every single play that may have made a difference. It would be very heartbreaking. But getting blown away would show us this team wasn't ready to play with the elite teams. So I guess we need them to win. 😆😆

Losing the way we "lost" to Dallas.

• Thanks 1

Take joy in knowing in 9 hours the Lions could be Super Bowl bound and best of all it wouldn’t be a shock at this point. It’s how you as a fan feel right now that should be savored.  It might not ever be topped.  

• Like 1

Just now, chasfh said:

Even if they fail to get the two corners they need? I mean, I don't expect them to sit on their hands this spring, but if they go into next season in the bottom quintile in secondary again, would you still expect that?

Yes. They are the 5th youngest team in the NFL. There's reason to believe this core is only going to get better. There will be a draft and free agency in which players will be added. Even if they don't add a corner, they still add to an already up and coming roster. 

Still surreal to me that the Lions are playing in the NFC CHAMPIONSHIP today for a berth in The SUPER BOWL.  Whatever happens today barring a complete blowout in which the Lions didn't show up, the season has been a massive success.

Still, NFL teams that don't have Patrick Mahomes only get so many chances like this so why not get it done now because, you never know, this opportunity might never come again for this group.

Edited by NYLion
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

I want the Lions to win, but win or lose, they've had a great season. I hope it continues for 2 more weeks. 😀

This.  Kind of playing with house money now.  Still, will be a ping of disappointment to come this far and potentially fall short.

1 hour ago, Sports_Freak said:

SF has been in 4 out of the last 5 NFC Championship games.

And one of the last four Super Bowls. The way I see it, all of the pressure is on SF. If they don’t crack under it, more power to them. But I think they’ll crack, especially if Detroit can bottle up CMC in the first half. 

16 minutes ago, oblong said:

Take joy in knowing in 9 hours the Lions could be Super Bowl bound and best of all it wouldn’t be a shock at this point. It’s how you as a fan feel right now that should be savored.  It might not ever be topped.  

As you said: the ride up is the most special.

It's morning in Detroit.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Yes. They are the 5th youngest team in the NFL. There's reason to believe this core is only going to get better. There will be a draft and free agency in which players will be added. Even if they don't add a corner, they still add to an already up and coming roster. 

I do expect us to address that clear need tho

32 minutes ago, NYLion said:

Still surreal to me that the Lions are playing in the NFC CHAMPIONSHIP today for a berth in The SUPER BOWL.  Whatever happens today barring a complete blowout in which the Lions didn't show up, the season has been a massive success.

Still, NFL teams that don't have Patrick Mahomes only get so many chances like this so why not get it done now because, you never know, this opportunity might never come again for this group.

And we always hear..."just get in the playoffs and anything can happen." A win would probably be the biggest Lions upset victory of my lifetime. The Lions are hot, have a ton of confidence and will have thousands of fans cheering them on. Wish I were there...

I gave myself five tasks to do this morning to try and direct the nervous energy.

I couldn’t get through one. And when I finally quit that one, I tossed it to the side, grabbed my coat, and headed to the car to just go downtown early.

Left my car keys in the house. Gonna be a long afternoon.