Detroit Lions 2024 Offseason Thread

31 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

nothing wrong to prioritizing your guys, but when you have gaping holes on your roster at CB and DE, it would be a huge mistake to not use free agency to make your team better

I don't think they have shown any reluctance to sign FA's per se, they just don't judge the risk/reward to be so good at the top end of the market so they have shopped mostly mid market or lower --  and that's just a reflection of their basic view that depth is going to win you more in the long run than having small numbers of top of market players. Other than at QB I tend to agree that is probably the right approach. 

Sneed also had the tag placed on him... but the non-exclusive tag...

Which means they're looking for other teams to put a value on him and they'll work something out long-term with him based on the offers he's getting... OR: they are willing to trade him to a team willing to pay him. Sign and trade so to speak.

It will be interesting to see how that plays out...

6 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

Danielle Hunter can't be franchised

That just means Hunter's price will go up. The Lions offer a Super Bowl contender, good culture, and an opportunity to stick it to Minnesota twice a year so that will be the Lions advantage. 

I read an article in this mornings Free Press that made an excellent point of why a #1 CB is more needed by the Lions than an adge rusher. They made a point of some players already on the roster who could step up and help us. And the fact that with a heavy pass rush, teams would just do a quick pass attack against us. It's why a CB is more important that DL help. I always thought the opposite, get the QB!! But they made sense. I say...get both!! 😁

3 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

I read an article in this mornings Free Press that made an excellent point of why a #1 CB is more needed by the Lions than an edge rusher. They ...

I've said this like 5 times already. It's harder to get good enough CB's then it is to manufacture a pass-rush.... Literally, from just about anywhere.

But yes... get both. Especially in the draft.

To which:

46 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Do we at all think the Lions see Sutton and Mosley as their CBs #1 and #2 and don't address the position with either a big time free agent signing or high draft pick?

There is absolutely no possible way that having Sutton & Moseley stops the Lions from further addressing the position. Why would you even think this?

Or are you just asking the question...? To see what answers come out of it...?

Because I can't seriously believe that you would actually think something like this.

But to answer the question: They're drafting a cornerback in this draft. In the 1st three rounds.

Free agency is harder to predict because there are too many variables...

Moseley has played in six games over the last two seasons and he's torn an ACL in two of them... Even before that, he missed six games in 2021 and four in 2020... He's not a Plan A cornerback. He is about as low risk a signing as you can find in the NFL though, for incredibly high boom potential if he can return to pre-injury form.

To put it simply, I would much rather watch Moseley guard Aiyuk in the NFC Championship Game than watch Kindle "stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night" Vildor take a Purdy pop-up to the dome again.

• Like 1

Moseley won’t be ready to start the season, he might not be ready until halfway through the season, and at this point he is a toss up to finish the season. No, he will not be CB 1 or 2. He is a bet by Holmes who likes to buy low on injured players. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, RatkoVarda said:

it would be a show of incredible hubris to think you can ignore one of the NFL's major talent infusion streams (free agency) and still build a SB winner

the Chiefs and the Patriots routinely spent significant money in free agency during their SB runs

nothing wrong to prioritizing your guys, but when you have gaping holes on your roster at CB and DE, it would be a huge mistake to not use free agency to make your team better

I'm not saying to ignore free agency, I'm saying that I don't see Holmes going for the big name free agents. If you look at the biggest free agent contracts over the years, they usually don't work out for the team because you're generally paying these guys for what they were not what they will be.

How many Superbowl cores were built through free agency? I can't think of many.

Edited by NYLion

12 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Do we at all think the Lions see Sutton and Mosley as their CBs #1 and #2 and don't address the position with either a big time free agent signing or high draft pick?

No, not at all.

28 minutes ago, NYLion said:

I'm not saying to ignore free agency, I'm saying that I don't see Holmes going for the big name free agents. If you look at the biggest free agent contracts over the years, they usually don't work out for the team because you're generally paying these guys for what they were not what they will be.

How many Superbowl cores were built through free agency? I can't think of many.

Not saying you are wrong.  It’s definitely in Brad’s MO.  But what’s he going to do with that $50M in cap money if he doesnt spend in FA? Obviously, a good portion will go to extensions but unless he frontloads at least one there still would seem to be a nice pile of money left around.  

11 hours ago, Jason_R said:

Moseley won’t be ready to start the season, he might not be ready until halfway through the season, and at this point he is a toss up to finish the season. No, he will not be CB 1 or 2. He is a bet by Holmes who likes to buy low on injured players. 

Has it been confirmed that he will be out for atleast the beginning of the season? Considering he got injured in October or early November it seems like he should be ready by the start of the season. 

Agree with what you're saying though just didn't think he was gonna be out that long. 

Edited by RandyMarsh

16 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

Not saying you are wrong.  It’s definitely in Brad’s MO.  But what’s he going to do with that $50M in cap money if he doesnt spend in FA? Obviously, a good portion will go to extensions but unless he frontloads at least one there still would seem to be a nice pile of money left around.  

Bingo. That's stash money for extensions, that $50m is going to be gone at the blink of an eye once all these guys get extended the next 2 years but it also depends on the contract structures like you said. Amon-Ra's raise alone will cover almost half of that.

While it does appear that the Lions SB window is just opening, I'd argue that last season and this upcoming season might be their best shot at a SB considering all the bargain rookie contracts they have and Goff's current contract. It's going to get a lot more difficult to build depth once everybody gets paid so there is/was some validation for going all in now and last deadline tbh.

Edited by NYLion

1 hour ago, Hongbit said:

He's going to spend it, just not the way we want him to spend it quite possibly. I think Brad and Dan would rather spread the money around and bring in 2-3-4 good/nice players than spend it on 1 great or elite player. So if this scenario below were to play out and you gave Brad/Dan the choice of who they'd sign, I think they would choose option 2. I hope I'm wrong and we can get ourselves one of those marquee, elite defensive players.

Option 1

Trade draft capital to the Chiefs for L'Jarius Snead and sign him to a long-term deal at something like 4 years, $76.0 million at $19mil per season with $35 million guaranteed. 

Option 2

Keep all their draft capital and not trade it for Snead but rather spend it in the draft on picks or to move up for a player they like.

Resign Josh Reynolds at 2 years, $14 million

Sign CB Stephon Gilmore to a 1 year, $10 million

Sign G Kevin Zeitler to a 1 year, $7.5 million

2 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Has it been confirmed that he will be out for atleast the beginning of the season? Considering he got injured in October or early November it seems like he should be ready by the start of the season. 

Agree with what you're saying though just didn't think he was gonna be out that long. 

I haven’t heard an official timeline but he played a year and a day after his previous ACL tear. Will he recover from this one faster? Maybe. Slower? Maybe. But I don’t think Holmes is or should be assuming that Moseley will be ready for the start of the season.