Detroit Lions 2024 Offseason Thread

27 minutes ago, Longgone said:

One given in the NFL is that players get hurt, especially older, skilled players. So, unless it's a quarterback, investing draft capital AND a huge percentage of your payroll to one player, seems like a poor strategy.

So are you against making trades for anyone other than a QB?  

I also don’t think parting with one of the 3rds is a big deal as far as draft capital.   The late 2nd is something but it’s still not as valuable as a 1st. If we keep seeing these massive increases in the cap every year, it will end up mattering less and less, to the point it will become a virtual non-factor for many teams.

Edited by Hongbit

3 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Pollard gets a 3/24 contract. Price of running backs has gone up. Good thing the Lions got in ahead of the boom when everyone mocked them. 

Fitting Swift and Pollard get the same deal.  They seem like the same player.  

12 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

So are you against making trades for anyone other than a QB?  

I also don’t think parting with one of the 3rds is a big deal as far as draft capital.   The late 2nd is something but it’s still not as valuable as a 1st. If we keep seeing these massive increases in the cap every year, it will end up mattering less and less, to the point it will become a virtual non-factor for many teams.

Pretty much, I like the "Holmes" strategy. I'd hoard draft picks and keep pumping young blood into the system. No problem splurging on a free agent who really fits, but give up premium draft capital and pay a premium salary for one player, no.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Longgone said:

Pretty much, I like the "Holmes" strategy. I'd hoard draft picks and keep pumping young blood into the system. No problem splurging on a free agent who really fits, but give up premium draft capital and pay a premium salary for one player, no.

the vast majority of draft picks never amount to anything

25 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I’m surprised he’s still in the league. 

Yep, I had to do a double take when I was watching a Raiders game last year and I heard the announcer call his name. Thought for sure either the announcer messed up or I didnt hear him right. 

1 hour ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I think he is in that elite tier, and I think he would probably be the best pass-rushing DT we've had since Suh. I don't want to get into a bidding war for a 28yo though

Alim is as good a pass rusher (look at his pressure rate) and is a lot younger. Wilkins excels at run defense but throughout most of his career hasn't been much of a pass rusher, he just so happened to find that pass rush magic in his contract year lucky enough for him. Really glad that the Lions weren't the ones giving him the bag.

11 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

Glad the Lions didn’t pony up for Jonah.  He’s hasn’t played like a top 15 guard for a few seasons and now he’s getting paid like it  

I hate to see him leave, but I would not have wanted to pay that much. He's declined a bit lately and battle injuries last year missing 5 games.