Detroit Lions 2024 Offseason Thread

37 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

$30 million cap hit next year that is pretty much guaranteed would be hard to overcome.

Drafting so well means you get a whole bunch of good players with contracts to extend and they will lose some of them.   I understand why they aren't spending big.   Because they're going to have to soon anyway. 

11 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

At 29, I'm surprised he didn't demand a four year deal.

He got a $48 million guarantee. That's the number to focus on. If he'd gotten a 5 year 150 million deal with 48 million guaranteed, it would sound a lot better, but wouldn't be.

8 hours ago, AlaskanTigersFan said:

Is he good?

Yes. He's basically Snacks Harrison with a slightly better pass rush. A huge improvement on Benito Jones or Isaiah Buggs. He's everything we hope Brodrick Martin will become. 

Edited by Motown Bombers

16 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

You keep signing players to contracts and then ask them a year or two later to take a pay cut and no one is going to want to sign with you. 

I think you need to add context on this before going to your conclusion.  If was Goff, or Glasgow or others you might be right, however, it's players who are role players who can tell the team no as easily as they can say yes.

They have also give Glasgow more money, Alex more money, JRM more money.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SkyBlue said:

I think you need to add context on this before going to your conclusion.  If was Goff, or Glasgow or others you might be right, however, it's players who are role players who can tell the team no as easily as they can say yes.

They have also give Glasgow more money, Alex more money, JRM more money.

They also gave Okwara, Harris, and Cominsky more money before turning around and asking them to take a pay cut. If the Lions are going to continue to treat their role players like that, they'll sign elsewhere. 

33 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Mack could be available today. I would also sign Allen as a Reynolds replacement. 

I think Mack actually makes a lot of sense, if he is willing to rework his contract to substantially reduce that cap hit. I might even extend him one year if it could spread that $38MM over the two years or beyond. He's elite against the run, still reliable for double digit sacks, and at 33 isn't going to be demanding a multi-year extension. He just wants a ring.

Keenan Allen is a very similar player to ASB. Not to say having two ASBs would be a bad thing, but the roster fit would be kind of weird. I think Mike Williams would make more sense as a Reynolds replacement if he becomes available, but he's not worth anywhere near that cap hit. He's played 16 games in the last two seasons and is coming off a torn ACL... I wouldn't trade for him, but if he is released I would be interested in a one-year deal akin to DJ Chark's two years ago.

3 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

How about Bosa?

A trade for Bosa would result in the Lions taking a $22 million cap hit. I'm working on the assumption that the Chargers are going to cut one of them. The Chargers save more money by cutting Mack and he is older than Bosa so that would make more sense. I wouldn't trade for any of these players. 

I doubt we'll be in on Bosa, Mack, or Allen if they get released. Look for the second, third, or fourth person on the Chargers depth chart, that's the guy we'll be after. The one plus for Bosa and Allen though is they have the injury history that Brad Holmes likes. Guys that get hurt a lot so he can buy lower on and use injury history as a leverage piece in negotiations. That said, I'd be surprised if we were in on any of these guys as they are marquee names.

Just now, MichiganCardinal said:

I think Mack actually makes a lot of sense, if he is willing to rework his contract to substantially reduce that cap hit. I might even extend him one year if it could spread that $38MM over the two years or beyond. He's elite against the run, still reliable for double digit sacks, and at 33 isn't going to be demanding a multi-year extension. He just wants a ring.

Keenan Allen is a very similar player to ASB. Not to say having two ASBs would be a bad thing, but the roster fit would be kind of weird. I think Mike Williams would make more sense as a Reynolds replacement if he becomes available, but he's not worth anywhere near that cap hit. He's played 16 games in the last two seasons and is coming off a torn ACL... I wouldn't trade for him, but if he is released I would be interested in a one-year deal akin to DJ Chark's two years ago.

I'm working on the assumption Mack gets cut. I don't think anyone is trading for Mack or Bosa. Once they are cut I would swoop in like a vulture. Williams is more likely to be cut than Allen so that would work. The Chargers really are in a bad spot. 

5 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

How about Bosa?

I'd be pretty surprised if they chose to offload Bosa over Mack. To a certain extent, Horitz and Harbaugh are expected to win now in LA, but it's still a new regime and Bosa is five years younger than Mack.

Even beyond their age, Bosa would save them $14MM against the cap; Mack would save them $23MM.

Another thing regarding Carlton Davis and the guy he replaced. I know PFF grades aren't the be all, but Carlton Davis had a 58.2 PFF grade and Jacobs had a 57.1 PFF grade. I get it, Davis is a better player than Jacobs most likely and the stats from last year and PFF grades don't exactly paint that picture, but don't provide full context either. I like the player, but there are other moves I would have rather made, namely signing Kendall Fuller.

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

They also gave Okwara, Harris, and Cominsky more money before turning around and asking them to take a pay cut. If the Lions are going to continue to treat their role players like that, they'll sign elsewhere. 

Well, if the role players keep playing like Okwara, Harris, and Cominsky a pay cut vs being cut may be preferred.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Another thing regarding Carlton Davis and the guy he replaced. I know PFF grades aren't the be all, but Carlton Davis had a 58.2 PFF grade and Jacobs had a 57.1 PFF grade. I get it, Davis is a better player than Jacobs most likely and the stats from last year and PFF grades don't exactly paint that picture, but don't provide full context either. I like the player, but there are other moves I would have rather made, namely signing Kendall Fuller.

I don’t disagree with you on the preference of those 2 players. I just think we have to look at it from the perspective of who are GM and coach are. They seem to be very loyal to their guys and want to build from within while prioritizing their own players via resigning them. With that said and with them in charge I doubt we will see them go out and give big money and long contracts to free agents. They are going to fill gaps with vets and useful players while protecting the culture at every turn.  

My guess is they are going to look at finding a ceiling developmental CB in the draft. Also looking for a starting guard within the first 3 rounds to keep the whole OL salary lower as they look to give out big money to Sewell. After that it’ll be about rounding out depth across the whole roster. Whatever they miss out on they will look toward camp casualties to fill out the rest of the roster. 

3 minutes ago, SkyBlue said:

Do they break down zone vs man ratings?

He had a 68.8 PFF grade in man coverage and a 75.1 QB rating against in man. No defensive back played man more than Cam Sutton. Tampa does not play a lot of man. He's a better scheme fit under Glenn than Bowles. 

• Like 1