Detroit Lions 2024 Offseason Thread

17 minutes ago, AlaskanTigersFan said:

Lions can literally take BPA now with no worries. Very well done. 

yup. This is getting to be page one of the Holmes playbook - minimize pressure from positional need as much as possible before the draft.

Edited by gehringer_2

4 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Still love the signing either way but just curious does this signing prevent us from receiving any possible compensation for Jackson and/or CJGJ? 

Looks like no. Even if Reynolds signs with another team, the Lions lost two qualifying free agents, CJGJ and Jackson, but signed three in Reader, Davenport and Robertson. 

When you look at the past Super Bowl winners, outside of just QB play, they usually have at least one or more units on their team that are elite. For us, with the addition of Zeitler, that should continue to be our OLine. Really love this signing and it keeps our offensive line as one of the premier units in the league.

If Davenport is healthy and has a productive season, that defensive line is elite. McNeill is a very underrated tackle and with Reader and Hutchinson, that line would be elite. I would also add that the Montgomery/Gibbs combo would be elite and possibly the TE group. 

2 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

The Zeitler signing is a nice cap to our offseason. This takes care of one of our biggest needs and gives Brad full ability to go BPA in the draft.

I think Holmes would have done this regardless but now it opens up more options at the draft where they aren't pigeonholed into taking a CB and/or guard with the top 3 picks because they have legit starters at those positions now. I still see a few immediate needs in #2 or #3WR because we don't know what Jamo is right now and a vet safety but neither are critical needs like Guard and Corner were headed into the offseason.

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

Jackson made just under $3 million last year. And if I’m reading it right, Vaitai’s base salary for last year was $3 million. So it’s a wash in salary for an improvement in the OL. 

Mike Williams signed with the Jets, he's one of the WRs I was interested in to fill the Reynolds role but its not to be. 

Im starting to get the feeling that we may use the draft to fill that need which would be fine with me.

Considering the cost of WRs it makes sense to draft 1  every couple years so you're not stuck having to pay 2 big contracts down the road. 

Edited by RandyMarsh