Detroit Lions 2024 Offseason Thread

4 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I don't believe Ray Rice ever played another down in the NFL after what he did went public. However, Joe Mixon knocked a woman out cold on camera and he was still drafted and signed to a contract.

Kareem Hunt too. Unless Sutton is serving jail time, he'll get back in the league if it's just a common domestic abuse issue and not some of the horrendous things that have been rumored.

2 hours ago, RedRamage said:

Hey Mike, domestic abuse happens every day. I'm assuming you've never thoughts about mundane things during this time because your focus has always been on the victims of this abuse, right?

I can't stand that guy. Gotta be the worse Lions guy to follow.

So, I work for UCF now and my job is to talk with Alumni. I can't get a lot of them to get on the phone or answer emails.

The amount of information you all can pull up like the Florida laws and screenshots and everything..... If any of you need a job for prospect research, please let me know. 

Thoughts and prayers go out to the lady and her family. This is why I lost faith in MIguel Cabrera and wasn't a fan of him.

Edited by AlaskanTigersFan
  • Like 1

Football players though are mentally conditioned to be physical and abusive from a young age. It amazes me how many NFL players end up in hot water with the law..... Same for college football players. In College I had classes with some college football players and I was astonished they were even in college....... Now, I'm not saying it's all of them. I'm just saying football players in general that have careers. Heck watch Last Chance U. Three fourths of those players admitted to getting in trouble with the law.... crazy.  

I find it hard to believe an NFL player is hard to get a hold of unless he is intentionally hiding or dead. By now everyone is aware of his warrant. His agent can't get a hold of him? The Lions? Family? On his Instagram he has multiple small children. I assume the mother of those kids is the one he choked, if not, can she find him? What's the end game here? He thinks he can show up at Allen Park for training camp and no one would notice? 

42 minutes ago, AlaskanTigersFan said:

So, I work for UCF now and my job is to talk with Alumni. I can't get a lot of them to get on the phone or answer emails.

The amount of information you all can pull up like the Florida laws and screenshots and everything..... If any of you need a job for prospect research, please let me know. 

Thoughts and prayers go out to the lady and her family. This is why I lost faith in MIguel Cabrera and wasn't a fan of him.

I had a family member part of that legal process, some interesting stories there to put it mildly.

Also have two family members heavily involved at UCF as alums.

The mental attributes that go into someone hiding from prosecution are not usually 100% conscious. The infantile response in the amygdala of fight/flight - or more basically, "if I just hide from the scary thing it will go away" - doesn't really go away as we get older, it just doesn't present itself in the same ways.

Usually someone with a warrant who refuses to turn themselves in won't come out and say (even to themselves) "I am wanted and therefore I will hide", it's more a willful (but unconscious) indifference and unrealistic desire that if I just ignore these calls (and presumably voicemails), they'll eventually just go away.

It often requires someone with all the necessary knowledge to infuse that errant thinking with direct logic ("no this is not just going away") to get them to address it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NYLion said:

just a common domestic abuse issue and not some of the horrendous things that have been rumored.

What the hell is "just a common domestic abuse"?    Should there even be such a thing.    It's bad enough if he abused her, but to me, it's worse when you add the fact that he's a football player - stronger than almost anyone else.   It's just not acceptable in any way.   Go punch a wall.      IF he did it....we haven't heard the whole story. 

And Ray Rice never did play again, but after the news broke that he KNOCKED OUT his fiancée, he got a standing ovation at training camp.   Then the video came out.     I love football too but it's kind of sick how much we value it.    

Maybe Joe Mixon got off because he was still a college kid, but I don't see that as an excuse.   He was an adult, and again, being a football player adds another level to it.  

These guys get praised and then get rich for doing somethin violent.   Some of them can't turn that off.  

I find it puzzling that people seemed to be okay with Mixon but shocked and appalled that Laremy Tunsil was smoking weed through a gas mask.   I would guess the vast majority of college students have smoked weed.   When the Dolphins drafted him the team President said "I smoked marijuana in college, I turned out alright."     The gas mask thing was pretty cool actually, but maybe it's best not to allow yourself to be filmed doing something illegal.  It was his step dad that leaked it.   Thanksgiving must be fun in that family. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

What the hell is "just a common domestic abuse"?    Should there even be such a thing.    It's bad enough if he abused her, but to me, it's worse when you add the fact that he's a football player - stronger than almost anyone else.   It's just not acceptable in any way.   Go punch a wall.      IF he did it....we haven't heard the whole story. 

And Ray Rice never did play again, but after the news broke that he KNOCKED OUT his fiancée, he got a standing ovation at training camp.   Then the video came out.     I love football too but it's kind of sick how much we value it.    

Maybe Joe Mixon got off because he was still a college kid, but I don't see that as an excuse.   He was an adult, and again, being a football player adds another level to it.  

These guys get praised and then get rich for doing somethin violent.   Some of them can't turn that off.  

I find it puzzling that people seemed to be okay with Mixon but shocked and appalled that Laremy Tunsil was smoking weed through a gas mask.   I would guess the vast majority of college students have smoked weed.   When the Dolphins drafted him the team President said "I smoked marijuana in college, I turned out alright."     The gas mask thing was pretty cool actually, but maybe it's best not to allow yourself to be filmed doing something illegal.  It was his step dad that leaked it.   Thanksgiving must be fun in that family. 

Tangentially related: Yesterday during the game Benetti did his little game with Gibson where he asks him if he remembers the details of some event in his playing career. The incident Jason had on tap was Gibson barreling over Pat Borders at the plate. After the normal joking around, Gibson actually got a little pensive and to paraphrase said something along the lines of not being particularly proud of that person he was -  "I was taught to play a violent game and it took me a long time after I left it to learn to leave that behind"

29 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

While we wait for Cam Sutton to turn up somewhere, one of Holmes first moves or non moves. 

Talk about Sutton being hard to find… the Giants couldn’t find Golladay even though he was in their huddle. 

• Haha 1