Detroit Lions 2024 Offseason Thread

53 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

What the hell is "just a common domestic abuse"?    Should there even be such a thing.    It's bad enough if he abused her, but to me, it's worse when you add the fact that he's a football player - stronger than almost anyone else.   It's just not acceptable in any way.   Go punch a wall.      IF he did it....we haven't heard the whole story. 

And Ray Rice never did play again, but after the news broke that he KNOCKED OUT his fiancée, he got a standing ovation at training camp.   Then the video came out.     I love football too but it's kind of sick how much we value it.    

Maybe Joe Mixon got off because he was still a college kid, but I don't see that as an excuse.   He was an adult, and again, being a football player adds another level to it.  

These guys get praised and then get rich for doing somethin violent.   Some of them can't turn that off.  

I find it puzzling that people seemed to be okay with Mixon but shocked and appalled that Laremy Tunsil was smoking weed through a gas mask.   I would guess the vast majority of college students have smoked weed.   When the Dolphins drafted him the team President said "I smoked marijuana in college, I turned out alright."     The gas mask thing was pretty cool actually, but maybe it's best not to allow yourself to be filmed doing something illegal.  It was his step dad that leaked it.   Thanksgiving must be fun in that family. 

quit smoking this early.

15 hours ago, AlaskanTigersFan said:

Football players though are mentally conditioned to be physical and abusive from a young age. It amazes me how many NFL players end up in hot water with the law..... Same for college football players. In College I had classes with some college football players and I was astonished they were even in college....... Now, I'm not saying it's all of them. I'm just saying football players in general that have careers. Heck watch Last Chance U. Three fourths of those players admitted to getting in trouble with the law.... crazy.  

I'd be interested to see percentages compared to the normal population. I do expect football players to be higher... between the "big man on campus" to young people getting millions of dollars to bring conditioned to be physically violent for their job... yeah, I expect those things to cause a higher percentage to be getting into trouble with the law.

But, I also expect that there's a higher percentage of normal people who've gotten into trouble with the law. Between brothers and brothers-in-law I've got 5. One had an arrest warrant out for him because of reckless driving (ended up that he just got a ticket so wasn't a huge deal), and another spent a few months in jail. I suspect another was arrested for a DUI, but I don't know that for sure. So you could say that 50% of my brothers has trouble with the law and you'd never know it based on who they are now. Now if they'd been football stars in their youth when these things happened, you probably would have heard about it.

15 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

I find it hard to believe an NFL player is hard to get a hold of unless he is intentionally hiding or dead. By now everyone is aware of his warrant. His agent can't get a hold of him? The Lions? Family? On his Instagram he has multiple small children. I assume the mother of those kids is the one he choked, if not, can she find him? What's the end game here? He thinks he can show up at Allen Park for training camp and no one would notice? 

Yeah, any pretense of benefit of the doubt that I would have given him yesterday is out the window now. There's no way he doesn't know that the police are looking for him... well, unless he's not alive anymore, which would make a very bad, sad, awful situation even worse.

3 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I wonder if this has been an ongoing thing with him and his gf and that's part of the reason why he sucked so bad the last couple months of the season?

Apparently there has been a long paternity dispute. I'm not sure this woman was his girlfriend but a woman who he is having a paternity dispute with. 

6 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Apparently there has been a long paternity dispute. I'm not sure this woman was his girlfriend but a woman who he is having a paternity dispute with. 

you would think 'extended paternity suits' is a phrase technology would have made obsolete.

So what is the situation when the Lions cut him?  Does he still go against the cap (this year and next) or is there a clause when something like this happens?  What about if he "isn't around anymore" (same questions)?

With everyone so sensitive now I want to also say that those questions are not as important as the safety of this woman and the children affected.  Also the life of Cam Sutton (unless he did some of the rumors that are going around).  Was asking for a friend actually lol.

The Lions aren't going to do anything until the league does something. If the Lions cut him now, there would be a big cap hit. If the league suspends him for violating the personal conduct policy, which seems likely, the Lions should be able to void his contract. I have a feel we have seen the last of Cam Sutton in a Lions jersey. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

What the hell is "just a common domestic abuse"?    Should there even be such a thing.    It's bad enough if he abused her, but to me, it's worse when you add the fact that he's a football player - stronger than almost anyone else.   It's just not acceptable in any way.   Go punch a wall.      IF he did it....we haven't heard the whole story. 

I wasn't making light of any domestic abuse, a man putting his hands on a woman (or vice versa) is unacceptable but I was talking about the difference between striking a woman and the alleged attempting to throw her out of a 3 story window. One is domestic abuse, the other is attempted murder. I'm just saying that, by law, the latter is far more serious than the former.

32 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I know it was always unlikely to happen for whatever reason, but, does this Cam Sutton situation make Brad Holmes reconsider trading for L'Jarius Sneed in any way, shape, or form?

It really, really doesn't seem like Holmes MO is to go after the big name FA/Trade acquisitions. This was easy enough to explain away early in that the team was crap and needed overhauls all over the place and spending big money on one or two big names was a bad use of resources.

But the Lions right now are very much in that situation of "one key player away" if you buy into that mentality. They were 30 minutes away from the SB and really didn't lose any major pieces outside of Jonah Jackson. This would absolutely be the time that you go "all in" if you were going to do it. But Holmes hasn't and there's no evidence that he plans to or tried to but couldn't get the big name he wanted.

So I don't think Sneed was a real option ever for the Lions. I think the Chiefs would be asking for more than Holmes was willing to give up. Holmes is sorta like the Anti-Dombrowski in that regard. 

3 hours ago, GoBlue23 said:

24 hours later and no word that Sutton, his attorney, a friend or family member has contacted the police to arrange a time and place for him to surrender on the warrant.  At the same time, friends and family haven't come out to report him missing so I'm assuming that they know exactly where he is.   

How long before the NFL looks at the situation and take steps that will allow the Lions to cut him?  At this point, there's no coming back from this.

Guilty until proven innocent?

Listening to a podcast with Sam Monson from PFF and he was saying the Lions have the best roster in the league. This was before Cam Sutton went AWOL but I don't think that changes the evaluation much. The Lions are getting close to having that 49ers level of top down talent on the roster.