Detroit Lions 2024 Offseason Thread

1 hour ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I don't think he's dead. If those absolutely closest to him - his parents, siblings, and close friends that see him or talk to him frequently - were concerned, it would be out by now. There'd be a missing persons report, or a press release from his agent. The reason nothing has come out from his "camp" is very likely because there is nothing sympathetic to report.

He's just choosing not to turn himself in yet. The police aren't concerned either.

MPR may sort of a redundancy when the person is the subject of an unanswered warrant....😳

Police aren't worried, but they don't do dragnets for people who aren't armed and dangerous or are not expected to be a threat to the general population.

What do we know about his "parents, siblings, and close friends." Is he a guy that normally stays in touch or it normal for him to be unaccounted for long stretches in the off season?

Edited by gehringer_2

58 minutes ago, GoBlue23 said:

The fact that no friends or family have gone to the police to report him missing tells me that someone knows exactly where he is.  

Could be. But he may also have told his immediates (e.g. Mom?) that he was taking off without necessarily telling them where he was going. Still given the choice between him having some elaborate off shore escape plan vs he's just hiding out with some kind of 'local' support, I'd vote for the latter. But you have to think he figures out fairly quickly that hiding out he's got no life anyway....

If Carlton Davis is a similar quality player to L'Jarius Sneed, but is going to sign for substantially less than Sneed did, shouldn't Davis fire his agent and get a new one? Why on Earth would Davis, who has a similar value as Sneed, sign for substantially less than Sneed did?

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

I don't know what makes you think Sneed is a true number 1 when KC doesn't even treat him like one nor do they even put him on the best receiver in games. On top of that he lead all defenders in pass interference penalties and in play penalties overall.

Not trying to say he isn't good nor would be an upgrade over what we have but lets not pretend he is Sauce Gardner or one of the true CB1s, he's a good player that is being paid like an elite one. I'm not giving up a 3rd round draft pick for that right. 

Trent McDuffie is better than Sneed, but that doesn't mean Sneed isn't a #1 corner just because they have someone in McDuffie who is even better. If Carlton Davis is the same quality or caliber player as Sneed is than presumably both he as a player and his agent will recognize that and ask for a contract similar to Sneed's.

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

14 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

If Carlton Davis is a similar quality player to L'Jarius Sneed, but is going to sign for substantially less than Sneed did, shouldn't Davis fire his agent and get a new one? Why on Earth would Davis, who has a similar value as Sneed, sign for substantially less than Sneed did?

why didnt anyone else give up more than a future third round pick for such an amazing cb?

44 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Equally valid question is why didn’t a two time defending Super Bowl champion want to pay him?

Because they have Trent McDuffie and other salary cap limitations presumably.

Why didn't Tampa Bay keep Davis and offer us Dean instead?

1 hour ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Because they have Trent McDuffie and other salary cap limitations presumably.

Why didn't Tampa Bay keep Davis and offer us Dean instead?

the lions are coming up to some salary cap situations too.  ergo wjy they didnt want to trade for and pay snead.

again, snead is grabby amd gets to play across from a true #1 corner.  it is quite possible the lions think davis is a better cb overall.

34 minutes ago, Shinzaki said:

The lack of news on Sutton's whereabouts leads me to think there's some back channel discussions going on.  Or...he's cut ties with everyone around him and done a runner

I’ve heard it rumored that snitches get stitches. Don’t know if it is true. 

1 hour ago, 1984Echoes said:

Or at least a better value at an appropriate cost...

I think this is more likely the case. I think Sneed may well be the better CB. But they don't think he's enough of an upgrade to warrant what he signed for. 

Were it up to me, I wouldn't have traded for either Sneed or Davis, I would have signed Kendall Fuller for what Miami did. That said, given the cost of only Sneed or Davis I'd have chosen Sneed. I don't think Davis will resign with us for substantially less than what Sneed just signed for. In any case, I'm fine with Davis as I have enough faith in Holmes and this regime to get it right in the end, even if they whiffed of CBs last offseason.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

While it's not a guarantee it's possible that the Lions will recoup that Davis pick they traded anyway if/when he walks next year.  

I would like the Lions to be in the business of letting aging FA's walk and gaining extra draft picks on an annual basis.

Too hard to do when we were at ground less-than-zero...

But now that the team is built up pretty nicely... all Holmes has to do is make the annual shelf life/ value/ cost assessment decisions...

He did that with CJGJ and Jonah, in particular, this year (Tracy Walker too but he hasn't signed with anyone yet...).

Edited by 1984Echoes

14 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Why would you tell everybody you reached out to him then say it's none of your business when asked if you talked to him? 

If he says yes, the police probably give him a call and put him in an uncomfortable position. If he says no, he's lying.

He's spoken to him.

On 3/23/2024 at 7:54 PM, MichiganCardinal said:

I don't think he's dead. If those absolutely closest to him - his parents, siblings, and close friends that see him or talk to him frequently - were concerned, it would be out by now. There'd be a missing persons report, or a press release from his agent. The reason nothing has come out from his "camp" is very likely because there is nothing sympathetic to report.

Yeah, I'm sorta starting to think the same thing. If he was dead I would expect that someone would have found his body at this point. I don't think suicidal people generally try to hide their impending death... like he's not going to travel to the middle of some swamp and kill himself there. And even if he did I would expect his family/friends/etc. to be saying: "We don't know where he is, we're worried about him, etc." like you're saying.

I'm starting to wonder if he fled the country. What he allegedly did may not be something you flee the country for, but he also may not have been of sound mind when he did it. If he panicked at the time... maybe he thought he'd killed her? Maybe he just wasn't thinking straight?... if he ran then, now it's kinda hard to come back three weeks later.

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

Why would you tell everybody you reached out to him then say it's none of your business when asked if you talked to him? 

Do we have the exact question/answer? Seems like a lot of paraphrasing going on... image.png.0ea6f0d166c5f3ea7a7818e369b75bd3.png

16 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

I would like the Lions to be in the business of letting aging FA's walk and gaining extra draft picks on an annual basis.

Too hard to do when we were at ground less-than-zero...

But now that the team is built up pretty nicely... all Holmes has to do is make the annual shelf life/ value/ cost assessment decisions...

He did that with CJGJ and Jonah, in particular, this year (Tracy Walker too but he hasn't signed with anyone yet...).

whether or not you get a compensatory pick is based on a formula.  part of that formula is how many of your players were signed by other teams and for how much, but another key part is how many free agents your team signed and for how much.

in holmes' first year he let mutiple players walk for big deals (golladay in particular) and didnt sign anyone to anything more than a cursory deal.  thus, we got lots of comp picks the next year.  we havent received many (any?) since because we signed a lot of players to big deals.

if you want the lions to sign a bunch of free agents, they arent going to get many - or any - comp picks, even if they let a lot of flotsam and jetsom leave the team.

if they reach the 49ers or chiefs level of roster where they have to pay certain guys and have no more space, then they can use the comp system to recoup midround picks.  but that means losing good players and not signing big name replacements.

the folks who are calling for the lions to sign every 30 year old big name free agent under the sun are the same ones saying we should trade assets because we'll get comp picks back.  no you wont.  or you wont get a good comp pick.  maybe a 5th, mlre likely a 6th or 7th.

you get a 3rd round comp pick when you lose a good player and dont sign anyone else to a big deal.

Not that power rankings mean anything but ESPN put out their post FA one today and the Lions are number 2 behind the Chiefs. I have to believe this has to be the highest they have ever been on any power rankings since that became a thing.