Detroit Lions 2024 Offseason Thread

2 hours ago, buddha said:

... in holmes' first year he let mutiple players walk for big deals (golladay in particular) and didnt sign anyone to anything more than a cursory deal.  thus, we got lots of comp picks the next year.  we havent received many (any?) since because we signed a lot of players to big deals.

if ...

Yes, I know all this.

That's why I said if he's trying to build the team from a less-than-zero standpoint... then he's not able to do this. As you've mentioned, he's had to go out and sign a boatload of FA's just to fill holes.

And why I also said: "But now that the team is built up pretty nicely..."

I'm hoping he doesn't have to annually sign a crapload of players to fill holes. I guess what that means, ultimately for the team, is that Holmes is successful in drafting, and DC & his coaches "coaching up", enough depth on this team to where Holmes can let 3-5 FA's walk and only have to go out into the market to sign 1 or 2...

Meeting your (the NFL's) formula to obtain additional comp picks...

Further allowing Holmes & DC to draft and develop depth, future later round starters that require a lot of coaching up, etc... with those extra picks.

I don't think we are saying, or want from the Lions, anything different from each other.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RedRamage said:

I totally do not understand the Global Markets Program. I don't get why teams need to make a "bid" for certain countries given that there doesn't seem to be a limit on how many teams can get awarded a given country.

I’m guessing teams have to develop marketing proposals and pledge a certain amount of money to brand building in that foreign market. 

17 minutes ago, Jason_R said:

I’m guessing teams have to develop marketing proposals and pledge a certain amount of money to brand building in that foreign market. 

I guess that makes some sense. I suppose the NFL wants some oversite as well... like being able to say: No, you're plan sucks so we're not approving it. OR: No, you're already stretched too thin because you already have X, Y, and Z areas and we don't think you can do justice to yet another area.

Still seems weird though how they're talking about "awarding" a team GMP "rights" to a country. Makes it seem like they were competing against other team and they won exclusive rights to market to that area.

• Thanks 1

I’m way more confused than I was before.  Not sure if him just showing up in Allen Park like nothing happened makes him appear more guilty or less.    I’m really scratching my head why his agent or family haven’t said a peep in his defense.    

Edited by Hongbit

The police in Florida said they suspected he was still in Florida and not in Michigan. When was his car spotted in Florida? Is someone else driving it? Where is he now? Has anyone talked to him since the Lions? Is he still in Michigan? This just gets more bizarre. 

If he thinks he can just hang out in Michigan and avoid it, they'll extradite him when (not if) they eventually catch up to him. It's not like the police in Michigan are looking for him (though they might knock on his door if Florida asks them to), but no one runs forever. And if he's arrested in Michigan he'll almost certainly be in custody longer than if he just returned to Florida to be arraigned.

3 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

If he thinks he can just hang out in Michigan and avoid it, they'll extradite him when (not if) they eventually catch up to him. It's not like the police in Michigan are looking for him (though they might knock on his door if Florida asks them to), but no one runs forever. And if he's arrested in Michigan he'll almost certainly be in custody longer than if he just returned to Florida to be arraigned.

Exactly. If he faces the charge, says and does the right things as a first offender he's got a decent chance at getting his life and career back. But not like this. Getting bad or no legal advice or just in denial and refusing it.

5 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

Rod Wood said he showed up unexpectedly to Allen Park. Leads me to believe he knew he was wanted in Florida and decided to get out of Dodge. Still not sure his end game. I'm assuming he thought it wouldn't go public? 

Remember when Rod Wood got hired and the board almost melted down because he wasn’t a football guy? Seems like he’s been good for the franchise. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jason_R said:

Remember when Rod Wood got hired and the board almost melted down because he wasn’t a football guy? Seems like he’s been good for the franchise. 

I agree, though I think it goes to show that behind-the-scenes guy is only as effective at his job as the football guys are. He wasn't very useful to the fan experience until we got good again. He was named President in 2015 but wasn't really impactful until 2021.

5 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I agree, though I think it goes to show that behind-the-scenes guy is only as effective at his job as the football guys are. He wasn't very useful to the fan experience until we got good again. He was named President in 2015 but wasn't really impactful until 2021.

It is hard to know what goes on behind the scenes but there’s a lot in his bio: https://www.detroitlions.com/team/front-office-roster/rod-wood

He and Sheila seem to have a very strong partnership and a shared vision that has allowed for such a strong relationship to emerge between the front office and the football operations.