Detroit Lions 2024 Offseason Thread

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

I would like to see Mitchell get the TE2 position. He seems like he can be the Holmes year three improvement candidate like McNeill, Melifonwu and Barnes. 

It would make sense, but he's got to stay healthy. He came in from VaTech with injury history, and fresh off an ACL tear, so he wasn't expected to be an immediate contributor in 2022, but he then had a hamstring injury in 2023 and finished the season on IR after getting hand surgery.

He's played in 29 games over the two seasons, so clearly they don't hate him. But he's also only got 13 receptions and 1 TD in those 29 games, so they also don't see him as a weapon in the pass game. Compared to 31 receptions and 5 TDs in 31 games for Wright.

I will say when Brock Wright went down with the injury to end the season, Mitchell's snap counts increased from an average of 5.7 per game (that he was active) across the first 14 games, to 24/game in weeks 16 and 17 without Wright, to 46 in week 18 when we were without Wright or LaPorta for most of the game. So they didn't mind putting him in there as the backup to Wright (or LaPorta), it's not like he was getting past up by Firkser.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MichiganCardinal said:

It would make sense, but he's got to stay healthy. He came in from VaTech with injury history, and fresh off an ACL tear, so he wasn't expected to be an immediate contributor in 2022, but he then had a hamstring injury in 2023 and finished the season on IR after getting hand surgery.

He's played in 29 games over the two seasons, so clearly they don't hate him. But he's also only got 13 receptions and 1 TD in those 29 games, so they also don't see him as a weapon in the pass game. Compared to 31 receptions and 5 TDs in 31 games for Wright.

I will say when Brock Wright went down with the injury to end the season, Mitchell's snap counts increased from an average of 5.7 per game (that he was active) across the first 14 games, to 24/game in weeks 16 and 17 without Wright, to 46 in week 18 when we were without Wright or LaPorta for most of the game. So they didn't mind putting him in there as the backup to Wright (or LaPorta), it's not like he was getting past up by Firkser.

Was it Wright that made that winning TD at the Jets in '22? I still see that play in my mind, I know it was a tight end. And it was a Stand Up and Whoop exciting play!

3 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

I would have signed Reynolds to this contract.

It makes you wonder if Reynolds truly was a priority for the Lions or if they really didn't even want him back. Maybe they feel that DPJ or a potential WR draft pick could provide just as much or more for the offense if given the reps that Reynolds got. 

I'm glad he turned himself in. Obviously this story line is far from over... but it's nice to know that he isn't still on the run and that he didn't do anything to make the situation even more sad (ie, off himself). 

Now let's let him have his day in court. Public opinion is certainly going to go against him given he "ran" for so long. People are free to form their opinion if they want and while I certainly think his running makes him look... shall we say less then innocent, he does deserve his day in court before the gov't is allowed to punish him.

I think even if he's exonerated he's not coming back to the Lions. First, I doubt he'd want to after the team cut. Second, I doubt the Lions would want to be associated with someone who was running from police for weeks even if there isn't enough evidence to convict him of a specific crime.

53 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

The Jake Bates storyline is really giving the "you're telling me in a world with 8.1 billion people there aren't 32 better kickers than Michael Badgley" crowd something to work with.

But is he a culture fit? So what if he can hit 64 yard FGs. Does he fit their culture. If Bates can hit them from 64 yards, but Badgley can hit them from 32 yards and fits their culture, you know who they're choosing LOL.

2 hours ago, RedRamage said:

I'm glad he turned himself in. Obviously this story line is far from over... but it's nice to know that he isn't still on the run and that he didn't do anything to make the situation even more sad (ie, off himself). 

Now let's let him have his day in court. Public opinion is certainly going to go against him given he "ran" for so long. People are free to form their opinion if they want and while I certainly think his running makes him look... shall we say less then innocent, he does deserve his day in court before the gov't is allowed to punish him.

I think even if he's exonerated he's not coming back to the Lions. First, I doubt he'd want to after the team cut. Second, I doubt the Lions would want to be associated with someone who was running from police for weeks even if there isn't enough evidence to convict him of a specific crime.

There had to be enough evidence for the police to issue an arrest in the first place.  If he was truly innocent, he could have come forward weeks ago.  I’m less sympathetic or optimistic.

3 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

There had to be enough evidence for the police to issue an arrest in the first place.

'Truly Innocent' is sort of an ideality isn't it? There are millions of people who are not 'Truly Innocent' that can't be convicted of any crime.

Since NFL deals are largely un-guaranteed, the Lions had the right to cut him before his case was resolved. That also creates a kind of momentum to assume he's as good as convicted. But you never know, it's not unusual for cases to end up being legally more complex than they appear initially.

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

There had to be enough evidence for the police to issue an arrest in the first place.  If he was truly innocent, he could have come forward weeks ago.  I’m less sympathetic or optimistic.

On the first part, yes... there has to be enough evidence to issue and arrest, but that isn't enough evidence to convict a guy... It is possible for a person to be "truly innocent" and be arrested. Less likely than if an arrest warrant wasn't issue, but absolutely possible.

And yes, it's certainly possible that the guy panicked and ran. It's again less likely that he was innocent and ran, but we can't know for sure.

So, adding unlikely plus unlikely and I come to the same conclusion that I'm not very optimistic or sympathetic toward Sutton.

3 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

There had to be enough evidence for the police to issue an arrest in the first place.  If he was truly innocent, he could have come forward weeks ago.  I’m less sympathetic or optimistic.

This is correct. A judge looks at the evidence and signs the warrant. It's not just the police deciding to arrest him.