Detroit Lions 2024 Offseason Thread

14 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I wonder if Sheila will return to the field with him and get the applause she deserves. Last time she made a truly public appearance was at halftime with Calvin in 2021 and she was mercilessly (and unfairly) booed.

And I can only assume ESPN will give the Lions and Calvin the same treatment they gave Jimmy Johnson and eschew all halftime advertisements in order to nationally televise it. RIGHT?

3 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

And I can only assume ESPN will give the Lions and Calvin the same treatment they gave Jimmy Johnson and eschew all halftime advertisements in order to nationally televise it. RIGHT?

image.png.76980af8c40b1697f0cdad642081937b.png

11 minutes ago, buddha said:

he wants to leave the niners so he can get paid.  not sure the lions are in a position to pay him what he wants.

We are not in a position to offer term and pay to any marquee WR right now.  That contract is set for Jamo to step up earn if he plays like he can in the next 2 seasons. 

On 7/17/2024 at 10:05 AM, buddha said:

he wants to leave the niners so he can get paid.  not sure the lions are in a position to pay him what he wants.

Yep, the assets it would cost to get him and the contract they can't afford to give him. Doesn't make sense.

Not to mention that where are his touches going to come from? St. Brown, LaPorta, Jamo with the elevated role, Gibbs. There's only so many mouths they can feed. The Lions need a true #3 WR, not a #1 WR.

1 hour ago, NYLion said:

Yep, the assets it would cost to get him and the contract they can't afford to give him. Doesn't make sense.

Not to mention that where are his touches going to come from? St. Brown, LaPorta, Jamo with the elevated role, Gibbs. There's only so many mouths they can feed. The Lions need a true #3 WR, not a #1 WR.

I think we're fine with DPJ and Green there, plus other 3rd/4th/5th candidates. If some problem develops because we need another receiver (our #3 is struggling too much) they can make a trade deadline move for someone that is NOT out of reach or too expensive like Aiyuk.

They just need a 3rd guy to make good catches when they're spreading it around a bit...

I think we've got what we need though, IMO.

Yeah no thanks on Aiyuk for the reasons already mentioned. Sure it would be nice to have another weapon since you really can never have too much but there are far better ways to use money/assets then on another receiver when you already have guys like St. Brown, LaPorta and an elite running game. 

On 7/18/2024 at 12:44 PM, 1984Echoes said:

I think we're fine with DPJ and Green there, plus other 3rd/4th/5th candidates. If some problem develops because we need another receiver (our #3 is struggling too much) they can make a trade deadline move for someone that is NOT out of reach or too expensive like Aiyuk.

They just need a 3rd guy to make good catches when they're spreading it around a bit...

I think we've got what we need though, IMO.

I agree. And there's always the waiver wire. 

I noticed this was buried in a Justin Rogers mailbag. Seems part speculation and part based on soources.

"I've talked to some people in Decker's circle who seemed encouraged by early talks, and I believe Holmes has every intention of keeping the roster's strength intact. I don't know when it happens, but I believe the sides eventually come together on a deal, likely on the shorter side, such as a two-year pact."

31 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I noticed this was buried in a Justin Rogers mailbag. Seems part speculation and part based on soources.

"I've talked to some people in Decker's circle who seemed encouraged by early talks, and I believe Holmes has every intention of keeping the roster's strength intact. I don't know when it happens, but I believe the sides eventually come together on a deal, likely on the shorter side, such as a two-year pact."

I would love this.

A lot of people thought when Sewell was drafted it meant the end of Decker in Detroit. Holmes being like "lol why though we need two starting tackles" is probably one of his smartest moves.

19 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I would love this.

A lot of people thought when Sewell was drafted it meant the end of Decker in Detroit. Holmes being like "lol why though we need two starting tackles" is probably one of his smartest moves.

This is exactly one huge difference between Holmes and a long line of our previous GMs. With the Lions it used to be, sign one guy at a position and you are good. Even when they had a few good players they never had the depth to play past the NFL's inevitable injury wastage.

I'm sure it will get resolved and have little impact on the regular season but still seeing that Jordan Love has told the Packers he won't practice till he gets a new deal is good news for me. Whatever possible distraction to the Pack no matter how insignificant is a welcome sight for me. 

Edited by RandyMarsh