Detroit Lions 2024 Offseason Thread

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Lions bring in Randy Bullock for some veteran camp competition. I'm pretty sure he knows Dan Campbell from Texas A&M connections and he was here for a training camp stint in 2021. He went 5/6 with a long of 56 last year on the Giants and 10/10 on extra points before he got hurt.

Brandon McManus is available too, but the Lions probably don't want to deal with the baggage that comes with that signing.

Andre Szmyt is still available too if they want to go back to the UFL well. He was overshadowed by Bates, but he went 19/21 with a long of 61 on the Battlehawks, which is actually better than Bates' 17/22... Sdmyt's misses were from 53 and 45.

He's also 6'1" / 200, so at least on paper he should be able to be productive in the kickoff game. I have no idea how to even attempt pronouncing his name though, so that's a point deduction.

2 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Wow, based on half a season?      Ummm........okay.      I enjoy how angry this is probably making Aaron Rodgers. 

Yeah  - You wonder if GB is wish casting their QB into the HOF. Except the NFL is not a place where wishing something makes it true.

6 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

No surprise that Schefter shafted Jansen and Costa. They broke this, and it sounded like Holmes/Deck intentionally held onto this to share with the local crew.

It was pretty funny to hear live. You could practically hear the moment of panic between them as they were silently like “did this break yesterday and we didn’t even see it?!”

Decker has thus far continued to play at a high level and hasn't shown signs of slowing down. I would imagine there is a team option for the third year too or that the money is more front loaded in this deal. I'm happy with it though given Decker's play hasn't really declined much as he's aged into his 30's.

May be a slight overpay but nothing egregious and certainly beats the alternative of losing him in a year. 

Also have heard or read some concerns about his age but many of the best linemen in the league are Decker's age or older so it certainly wouldn't be a surprise if he is still solid or better in 2-3 years. 

4 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

May be a slight overpay but nothing egregious and certainly beats the alternative of losing him in a year. 

Also have heard or read some concerns about his age but many of the best linemen in the league are Decker's age or older so it certainly wouldn't be a surprise if he is still solid or better in 2-3 years. 

I don’t think it’s an overpay for the player he is. He’’s the OT2 here which creates a weird dynamic, but he probably could have gotten more money for longer on the open market as a team’s OT1.

10 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I don’t think it’s an overpay for the player he is. He’’s the OT2 here which creates a weird dynamic, but he probably could have gotten more money for longer on the open market as a team’s OT1.

The reason I said it may be a slight overpay is that this now makes him the 7th highest paid tackle in the league and most don't actually think he is the 7th best. 

Of course that always isn't the best way to look at things since contracts are going up every year and some of the guys making less than him will be signing new more lucrative contracts so he's probably going to drop down that list in due time. 

16 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

The reason I said it may be a slight overpay is that this now makes him the 7th highest paid tackle in the league and most don't actually think he is the 7th best. 

Of course that always isn't the best way to look at things since contracts are going up every year and some of the guys making less than him will be signing new more lucrative contracts so he's probably going to drop down that list in due time. 

I think your second point is exactly right. Every new contract resets the market to some extent. Goff was what the third highest paid QB just last month? Now he’s down to the 5th, just by Tua and Love getting their deals done.

He’s the 7th most now, and sure he’s not the 7th best OT in the league. But by this time next year I expect he’ll be in the teens as far as APY goes.

We've all been saying that "they can't pay everybody" but it appears the Lions have other ideas. If they do indeed sign McNeil the only other guy of note other than last year's rookies is Hutch and you know they aren't letting him go. 

• Thanks 1