Detroit Lions 2024 Offseason Thread

36 minutes ago, NYLion said:

Alim is as good a pass rusher (look at his pressure rate) and is a lot younger. Wilkins excels at run defense but throughout most of his career hasn't been much of a pass rusher, he just so happened to find that pass rush magic in his contract year lucky enough for him. Really glad that the Lions weren't the ones giving him the bag.

I like Alim a lot. He's probably one of the most underrated players on the team. But I think one more elite player on that defensive front, alongside Hutch, would make a world of difference for the entire defense.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I like Alim a lot. He's probably one of the most underrated players on the team. But I think one more elite player on that defensive front, alongside Hutch, would make a world of difference for the entire defense.

I know the people at PFF have always thought highly of McNeil. He finally added a pass rush when he was asked to play less NT. 

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I think he's the guy who called Dan Skipper a racist so that would be interesting. 

WOW, I didn't even recall this story being a thing. Apparently Armstead accused Skipper of dropping the N-bomb in games. Just looking this up, I don't see any player corroborating what Armstead said about Skipper. It also looks like Armstead has resorted to calling people a f*g himself on Twitter.

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

30 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I simply don't get the strategy in Minnesota. They lay out good money for a pass rusher and then let Cousins walk. Even with Cousins, they were probably the worst team in the division. They are like the Saints. Content to be a 7-9 win team every year. 

I disagree that with Cousins they're the worst team in the division. The Vikings started out poorly, but were really starting to play well when Cousins went down.

Now, obviously this is a major simplification and there's a LOT more to a QB and just the numbers alone, but if we compare Cousins (crudely estimating 17 games played) and Goff merely looking at these stats, the two are similar.

image.png.cb89f03dbab76534774fe9d0e4e5c616.png

I think Cousins could have lead them to the playoffs.

4 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

I disagree that with Cousins they're the worst team in the division. The Vikings started out poorly, but were really starting to play well when Cousins went down.

Now, obviously this is a major simplification and there's a LOT more to a QB and just the numbers alone, but if we compare Cousins (crudely estimating 17 games played) and Goff merely looking at these stats, the two are similar.

image.png.cb89f03dbab76534774fe9d0e4e5c616.png

I think Cousins could have lead them to the playoffs.

to me its that the bears (with their offseason additions and the addition of sweat and the subtraction of fields) and packers have passed them and the lions were already ahead.  

2 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

They're gonna make a deal for Justin Fields. 

i really doubt the bears trade him in the division and that the vikings want him.  more likely sign tannehill and draft a qb.

1 hour ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I didn't think Jonah was going to be getting that much...

Good for him.

But time for the Lions to go to Plan B and I'm glad they didn't try to keep him at that high a cost...

Who were those two Centers who were monsters in the middle and able to start at Guard right away (and take over from Ragnow at some point in the future, or... if injuries)? Jackson Powers-Johnson and Zach Frazier, IIRC.

I'm on board with signing Gilmore as a stopgap, drafting one of those nasty interior O-lineman at the end of the 1st... and using the 2nd & 3rd round picks on CB's and pass-rushers to develop...