Detroit Lions 2024 Offseason Thread

23 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

We've all been saying that "they can't pay everybody" but it appears the Lions have other ideas. If they do indeed sign McNeil the only other guy of note other than last year's rookies is Hutch and you know they aren't letting him go. 

Who's the poster here who always chimes in that the Salary Cap is a myth??

On 7/29/2024 at 9:26 AM, RandyMarsh said:

May be a slight overpay but nothing egregious and certainly beats the alternative of losing him in a year. 

Also have heard or read some concerns about his age but many of the best linemen in the league are Decker's age or older so it certainly wouldn't be a surprise if he is still solid or better in 2-3 years. 

Keep in mind that it's an extension so when it kicks in it'll be a lesser percentage of the cap relative to what it would be now. I think it's fair market value for an above average tackle who has some good years left seemingly. They now have arguably the best trio of O-linemen locked up for the next 2 years minimum so....nice piece of work by Holmes. Now we'll what happens with Alim. Personally, I see him on the cusp of breaking out (he's getting better every year) so the sooner the better.

Edited by NYLion

23 minutes ago, NYLion said:

Keep in mind that it's an extension so when it kicks in it'll be a lesser percentage of the cap relative to what it would be now. I think it's fair market value for an above average tackle who has some good years left seemingly. They now have arguably the best trio of O-linemen locked up for the next 2 years minimum so....nice piece of work by Holmes. Now we'll what happens with Alim. Personally, I see him on the cusp of breaking out (he's getting better every year) so the sooner the better.

exactly!

3 hours ago, RedRamage said:

Who's the poster here who always chimes in that the Salary Cap is a myth??

My son told me there's always ways to work around the salary cap. The subject came up because of Tyreek Hill of KC when they said they were up against the cap. KC has made some questionable decisions...but hey...they won 2 Super Bowls in a row. Can't argue with that success.

56 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

There are downsides to how hard they go in camp and practices.

Cominsky was a rotational guy at a position where we don’t have the kind of depth I would like. Particularly with an injury prone guy like Davenport ahead of Cominsky. Sucks.

48 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

See, the thing is just about any other coach I can think of... I hear that from them and I just assume it's coach-speak... trying to talk up a guy. "Best shape of his life..." sorta stuff. But with Campbell? I think he actually means it.

Now, obviously it has to translate from training camp to actual games AND there's the little matter of staying healthy. But make IF he put together and IF he can stay healthy... that's a HUGE bonus for the defense.

Levi did produce 3 straight 70+ PFF graded games including a 7th best DT score of 80 in week 18 so he showed some promise. 

Considering how virtually every Holmes early to mid round picks took big steps in year 2 or 3 I wouldn't be surprised if Levi does the same since this is essentially only his 3rd yr.

• Like 1

If this training camp smoke becomes fire and Levi becomes a starter or reliable rotational player alongside Reader and McNeill, the 2021 draft class has to go from not just being the best in Lions history (which it probably already is) to being discussed as among the best in NFL history.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

If this training camp smoke becomes fire and Levi becomes a starter or reliable rotational player alongside Reader and McNeill, the 2021 draft class has to go from not just being the best in Lions history (which it probably already is) to being discussed as among the best in NFL history.

Even if we assume a resurgence of Levi (which is a HUGE if right now), it's still to early to cement it, but I totally agree that its looking like a monster return on the draft.

image.png.9fc17c06d2068b4a96b5f7b24e261159.png

Sewell: Bona fide star, pro-bowl caliber starter
Onwuzurike: Quality rotation/possible starter
McNeill: High Quality Starter/border line Star Player
Melifonwu: Quality rotation/possible starter (depends on how he progresses at safety)
St. Brown: Bona fide star, pro-bowl caliber starter
Barnes: Decent Rotation guy
Jefferson: Depth piece

We got 3 starters... and that's 3 guys who would be starters on nearly any team in the league.

We got 3 players who are borderline starters. 3 guys who would probably be starters on many teams in the league, but aren't quite good enough to be considered starters with the Lions.

We got 2 bona fide stars with at least 1 knocking on that door, and maybe more?

Yeah, this is the sort of draft that could rank up there with the best, that's for sure.

16 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

Even if we assume a resurgence of Levi (which is a HUGE if right now), it's still to early to cement it, but I totally agree that its looking like a monster return on the draft.

image.png.9fc17c06d2068b4a96b5f7b24e261159.png

Sewell: Bona fide star, pro-bowl caliber starter
Onwuzurike: Quality rotation/possible starter
McNeill: High Quality Starter/border line Star Player
Melifonwu: Quality rotation/possible starter (depends on how he progresses at safety)
St. Brown: Bona fide star, pro-bowl caliber starter
Barnes: Decent Rotation guy
Jefferson: Depth piece

We got 3 starters... and that's 3 guys who would be starters on nearly any team in the league.

We got 3 players who are borderline starters. 3 guys who would probably be starters on many teams in the league, but aren't quite good enough to be considered starters with the Lions.

We got 2 bona fide stars with at least 1 knocking on that door, and maybe more?

Yeah, this is the sort of draft that could rank up there with the best, that's for sure.

I think I would put Alim into the Pro Bowl caliber starter category. He's generally underrated by the lay media and public because he doesn't generate as much pass rush as a Chris Jones or Quinnen Williams, but the Lions' dominance against the run is in no small part due to him being an absolute plug in the middle of the line. And he's done it by himself too! I'm excited to see what he can do next to DJ Reader this year.

He's a notch below Penei and ASB, who are both on the early road toward being inducted in the Pride of the Lions (and maybe more), but he's a borderline top ten player at his position.

RE Iffy, I think he starts on almost any team. PFF (for whatever their rankings are worth) rated him as the 8th best safety in the NFL last year and the very best safety (1/103) in zone coverage. There is a little bit of a "how do we fit him in", but remember CJ Gardner-Johnson throwing a hissy fit because the team wouldn't just pull Iffy off the field once CJGJ was healthy. He'll be on the field plenty this year - particularly in zone coverage - as long as he stays at the same level of play.

Barnes and Jefferson I agree.

Don't forget we also picked up Jerry Jacobs and Brock Wright as UDFAs in 2021. It was just an insanely good draft top to bottom. 

2 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

The 1974 Steelers draft with 4 HOF players is a high bar to clear...but who knows what these guys are capable of over the long haul

On top of the great draft they also got Holmes, Campbell and Goff in the offseason, add them all up and it could end up being one of the great offseasons of all time. 

Potentially got their franchise  GM, Head Coach, QB, Offensive Tackle and WR all in the same offseason. 

Edited by RandyMarsh

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

On top of the great draft they also got Holmes, Campbell and Goff in the offseason, add them all up and it could end up being one of the great offseasons of all time. 

Potentially got their franchise  GM, Head Coach, QB, Offensive Tackle and WR all in the same offseason. 

And added yours truly as a season ticket member, don’t forget that!!

AThe Levi news is really encouraging considering I was on the train of thought thinking that he wouldn't even make the team out of camp. Could just be empty compliments from a team mate trying to encourage him, but those words are high praise and sound like more than empty you can do it encouragement. 

16 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

AThe Levi news is really encouraging considering I was on the train of thought thinking that he wouldn't even make the team out of camp. Could just be empty compliments from a team mate trying to encourage him, but those words are high praise and sound like more than empty you can do it encouragement. 

It's not just one teammate lavishing praise on Levi this camp, it's everyone there. I don't know what to expect from him this season just based on one apparently very good camp, but I'd rather hear this than the opposite.

15 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Unless I missed something the only thing that kinda stands out to me is how far down DPJ is. 

Also while not really a surprise I would be disappointed if Hooker couldn't win the backup qb job. 

Edited by RandyMarsh