Detroit Lions 2024 Offseason Thread

With Vaki and Manu on the team, I don’t think they will have the luxury of keeping six WRs this year.

Setting aside ASB, Jamo, and Kalif, that leaves two spots for probably four players: DPJ, Antoine Green, Isaiah Williams, and Daurice Fountain.

If I was to put money on it today, I would say it’s Green and Fountain, with DPJ released and Williams to the practice squad.

DPJ failed conditioning and has been getting reps with the 2nd and 3rd team, and even drew the public disappointment of Campbell. We gave up a 6th to get him last year but he needs to be better if he’s going to make the team.

On 8/2/2024 at 12:12 PM, RedRamage said:

Even if we assume a resurgence of Levi (which is a HUGE if right now), it's still to early to cement it, but I totally agree that its looking like a monster return on the draft.

image.png.9fc17c06d2068b4a96b5f7b24e261159.png

Sewell: Bona fide star, pro-bowl caliber starter
Onwuzurike: Quality rotation/possible starter
McNeill: High Quality Starter/border line Star Player
Melifonwu: Quality rotation/possible starter (depends on how he progresses at safety)
St. Brown: Bona fide star, pro-bowl caliber starter
Barnes: Decent Rotation guy
Jefferson: Depth piece

We got 3 starters... and that's 3 guys who would be starters on nearly any team in the league.

We got 3 players who are borderline starters. 3 guys who would probably be starters on many teams in the league, but aren't quite good enough to be considered starters with the Lions.

We got 2 bona fide stars with at least 1 knocking on that door, and maybe more?

Yeah, this is the sort of draft that could rank up there with the best, that's for sure.

All Brad Holmes drafts have yielded high returns, it's kind of crazy at this point. Yes, he had that extra 1st 2 of the years but still...

2021 - Sewell, Onwuzurike, McNeil, Melifonwu, St. Brown, Barnes, Jefferson.  That's two All Pro guys (1st team All Pro level), a budding high end starter in McNeil, a budding starter in Iffy with loads of potential, a solid rotation guy with borderline starter ability in Barnes, even Jefferson is still hanging around

2022 - Hutchinson, Jamo, Paschal, Joseph, Mitchell, Rodriguez, Houston.  That's an All Pro guy (soon to be 1st All Pro I'd think), a budding starter with room for much more in Jamo tbd but arrows are pointing up, decent rotational guy in Paschal (needs to stay healthy), decent starter in Joseph (I think he's a bit overrated but he's an NFL starter), decent rotational guy in Rodrigo and a guy who had 9 sacks in 8 games in his rookie season which is already a massive success for a 6th rounder. Not as good as the 2021 and 2023 drafts (heavily dependent on Jamo) but still a solid draft for most GMs.

2023 - Gibbs, Campbell, LaPorta, Branch, Hooker, Martin, Sorsdal, Green.  That's 2 All Pro level guys in Gibbs and LaPorta, a developing starter in Campbell, a guy tracking to be a high end starter in Branch but still early days and the others it's just too early to know, Green seems to be doing pretty well in camp so that's solid for a 7th.

This guy is just killing these drafts and these are players that aren't just doing well on a bad team, they're the driving force behind one of the biggest turnarounds in sports history.

Edited by NYLion
  • Like 1

Just now, MichiganCardinal said:

They tried but we can’t keep penciling a guy like that into the depth chart preseason. It’s not his fault but even our depth needs to be more dependable than this.

Yep.  This is the harsh reality of the NFL.  It rings even more true for Super Bowl contenders (which is still so weird to call the Lions).

• Like 1

Still, they might as well have him rehab with the team and not just cut him with an injury settlement.

If he heals on the same timeline as CJGJ (which is not a given), he would be back by Week 14 or so. All the same I would still probably prefer to see Moseley in coverage deep in an NFCCG as opposed to Kindle Vildor.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

They tried but we can’t keep penciling a guy like that into the depth chart preseason. It’s not his fault but even our depth needs to be more dependable than this.

15 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Still, they might as well have him rehab with the team and not just cut him with an injury settlement.

If he heals on the same timeline as CJGJ (which is not a given), he would be back by Week 14 or so. All the same I would still probably prefer to see Moseley in coverage deep in an NFCCG as opposed to Kindle Vildor.

Need to see how severe the tear is. If it’s a partial, it could only be a few weeks, if severe, six months.

23 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I'm certainly not being a rules expert, but doesn't he take up a spot on the 53 man roster then?

18 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Could be notable for week one if they’re not all back in time. Hutch is licking his chops.

Two things: 1. This is why we moved on from Jackson. He was beginning to be an injury problem. Missed 4 games two years ago, missed 5 games last year. He's good when healthy, but being healthy all year was becoming hard for him to do and it's not smart to give a LOT of money to a guy who isn't able to play regularly... not when he's "just" good.

2. Even if they are all healthy for week 1, OL is about working together and getting comfortable with how your neighbors play. If they only have limited time to work together this will work in favor of the Lions. Having said that, if there are "day-to-day" things than the group may still be able to drill together, just not do an actually contact stuff.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

Lions being...LIONS!!

Strange, since Joseph wasn’t even on him in coverage.

It’s hard to see what happened because the altercation begins behind a member of one of the staffs, but at about seven seconds in you can see Nabors put his hand on Joseph’s face mask and push his head back. 

Unless Joseph told a really short and off color yo’ mama joke, or something happened that was totally obscured by the crowd, it seems like Nabors was the instigator. 

9 hours ago, Jason_R said:

Strange, since Joseph wasn’t even on him in coverage.

It’s hard to see what happened because the altercation begins behind a member of one of the staffs, but at about seven seconds in you can see Nabors put his hand on Joseph’s face mask and push his head back. 

Unless Joseph told a really short and off color yo’ mama joke, or something happened that was totally obscured by the crowd, it seems like Nabors was the instigator. 

Yeah, if you slow it down, you can see Joseph's head being pushed back. Like a shove to the face. It may have been an ongoing flareup. I'm sure the 90⁰ heat and high humidity didn't help their tempers...😐

2 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Lets have teams practice together then fine them when the inevitable fighting happens. 

The Lions wanted to practice with KC but they turned us down. I can see that, they don't need us to expose their few flaws. Or to kick their butts...lol

10 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Spent the evening re-watching Lions-Rams highlights and I AM HYPE.

Bring on the season.

I've been re-watching the whole season before YouTube TV deletes them off of my dvr. I love the unlimited dvr space but deleting stuff after 8 or 9 months stinks.

I expect Hooker will get the start tonight, but it’s not a given. I think they’re treating him like a rookie this preseason.

The nature of having Nate Sudfeld on the team is that you can afford to release him at the end of camp with a really good chance he clears waivers and can come back to you as your practice squad QB3. At that point if God forbid Goff does go down for a few games, you can start Hooker, but you can also call up Sudfeld and start him if Hooker still isn’t ready.

I would almost be in favor of letting Hooker play all 12 preseason quarters. I doubt they will, but if he is your QB2 (which at least by the depth chart I think he will have to be, unless they carry three QBs), then just flood him with experience. Sudfeld should not be relying on preseason experience to make the roster in his 9th season in the league.