Detroit Lions 2024 Offseason Thread

9 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

Speaking of which...

Who's going to grab the #3 WR spot for the Lions this year?

Hard to tell anything today with the (mostly) spotty QB passing so far...

I've read good reports on Fountain. They need to see him in game action. 

2 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

TP is good. He took a break after the NFCCG and says life has been busy.

He’ll be back by opening kick (whether y’all like it or not!!)

Lol...I better take him off of the ignore list so I don't miss his positive posts. 😅

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

I've read good reports on Fountain. They need to see him in game action. 

He's been in the game today: 3 targets, no catches (the couple passes I noticed his way from Sudfeld were WAY off & he had no chance...)

Just now, 1984Echoes said:

He's been in the game today: 3 targets, no catches (the couple passes I noticed his way from Sudfeld were WAY off & he had no chance...)

Sudfeld couldn't throw, no time or pocket presence. Just use film to judge Fountain, from what I read, they wanted to see him run routes properly.

I think Hooker has backup upside in how different he is from Goff too.

If Goff goes down in the 2nd quarter, no one who comes in for him will be able to do what Goff does. But with Hooker, at least the change will force the defense to abandon the game plan they had against our offense. Hooker adds an additional element to the offense.

Got of love the over reaction from the first preseason game lol.

Brad Holmes has maybe made 3 not perfect picks and everyone is bringing up who they should of drafted in the Hooker pick.  OK I am over reacting as well.  Although this pick was a take a chance on the guy pick that went later because of an injury.  The pick wasn't this draft after you extended Goff.  It was an insurance draft pick and from what I saw last night, he can play in this league.  We don't want to see him except for blow outs although (just the eye test) if something happens to Goff I feel like he could step in with our first team (top 3 offensive line).  I actually think Sudfield can as well because if you give any QB in this league time they can perform.  Although he did look terrible last night.  Not saying we would be a Superbowl team with either but Goff doesn't make our team a Superbowl team to a terrible team.  Any contender would take a step back if they lost there starting QB and chances of winning the Superbowl with out their starter is slim unless you have Willie Beamen lol.

I wish they would of kicked some more field goals instead of going for it so we could see more of Bates.

I loved the secondary in the first couple of drives.  Vaki looked great against 3rd stringers although our 3rd string OL and no other RB we had could do anything.  Hooker looked confident, mobility was better than expected, and I liked his stroke (like most hookers lol).  Problem with mobile QBs is the injury chances are high (especially with concussions).  Pretty uneventful first preseason game.  Which is how its supposed to be for a Superbowl contender.

1 hour ago, Jimbo said:

I wish they would of kicked some more field goals instead of going for it so we could see more of Bates.

Bates needed live game kicks more than the Lions needed to win a meaningless preseason game.   I was hoping for a short FG at the end down by 11 but that’s not Dan Campbell.  He’s going to do everything to win, even in a game that doesn’t matter.   That’s a good thing and part of building winning culture.  

• Like 1

Hard to judge too much from last night with it being essentially all backups.  Even Sudfeld’s inability to throw a quality pass longer than 10 yards could be blamed on a wet ball (Suckage is more probable though).   

Sudfeld looked lost. He takes TFL instead of throwing it away. Slides head first,  very unaware and you can't blame that on the rain. Hooker was an immediate upgrade when he was on the field. Bates looked legit kicking that 53 yarder in the rain.

Edited by Tigeraholic1
  • Like 1

Nate Sudfeld looked really bad last night and like he hadn't read the playbook ever. I don't think they can go into the season with Sudfeld as the backup if Hooker isn't ready to go. I don't know if it is Ryan Tannehill, Blaine Gabbert, whoever is the right person to bring in as a backup QB. But Nate Sudfeld just isn't the answer it seems.

10 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Nate Sudfeld looked really bad last night and like he hadn't read the playbook ever. I don't think they can go into the season with Sudfeld as the backup if Hooker isn't ready to go. I don't know if it is Ryan Tannehill, Blaine Gabbert, whoever is the right person to bring in as a backup QB. But Nate Sudfeld just isn't the answer it seems.

Preseason makes it really hard to judge players abilities. Playing with 2nd and 3rd stringers and going up against 2nd and 3rd stringers. Put your top players out there with him and I'm sure he would appear to be better. But the way it looks, a Goff injury could derail the entire season. Make Hooker the #2 QB.

1 hour ago, Sports_Freak said:

Preseason makes it really hard to judge players abilities. Playing with 2nd and 3rd stringers and going up against 2nd and 3rd stringers. Put your top players out there with him and I'm sure he would appear to be better. But the way it looks, a Goff injury could derail the entire season. Make Hooker the #2 QB.

An injury to anyone's starting QB will derail an entire season. Just look at the Jets last year with Aaron Rodgers. For every Tom Brady, ready and waiting to take over from Drew Bledsoe type of scenario, there are dozens and dozens of failed seasons because the backup simply isn't as good as the starter who went down.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

An injury to anyone's starting QB will derail an entire season. Just look at the Jets last year with Aaron Rodgers. For every Tom Brady, ready and waiting to take over from Drew Bledsoe type of scenario, there are dozens and dozens of failed seasons because the backup simply isn't as good as the starter who went down.

Your season shouldn’t derail if your starter goes down when you have the best offensive line in football,  a group of dependable running backs and receivers, and a dynamic offensive coordinator.    

You must have a competent game managing backup for it to work and I don’t know if the Lions have one in the roster at the moment.  

Edited by Hongbit

2 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

Your season shouldn’t derail if your starter goes down when you have the best offensive line in football,  a group of dependable running backs and receivers, and a dynamic offensive coordinator.    

You must have a competent game managing backup for it to work and I don’t know if the Lions have one in the roster at the moment.  

Everybody's season goes off the rail. Everybody. There is a reason why good qbs are paid well and backups are backups.