Detroit Lions 2024 Offseason Thread

4 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Surprised by this. They kept him around all of last year. Must not see the development they want.

I think this puts Fountain in the driver's seat for the WR3 role. It's him or DPJ, and DPJ has done himself no favors this camp. I like Isaiah Williams for the 5th spot if DPJ gets cut.

7 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

Hamstrings are tricky.  It could easily be 6 to 8 weeks before fully healed.   

They’re typically slow to heal, but the average ‘out’ time for a hammy in the NFL is 13 days. if they shut him down now I’d be surprised if he’s not ready for the opener in a month.

The lingering can come when it happens mid-season and guys try to come back too soon, aggravating it.

2 hours ago, Hongbit said:

Hamstrings are tricky.  It could easily be 6 to 8 weeks before fully healed.   

I have to tell you, a hamstring is a very tricky investment.   More than of them go under within the first six months.   If i were your accountant, I'd strongly advise you against it.  

47 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Hoping no news is good news so far on Rakestraw and Arnold.

This is why I think the team may take a step back this year.   We  dodged the injury thing, for the most part, last year.  I mean our team was well built so that a Montgomery or ASB being out for a few games didn't devastate them, but at some point it is going to happen.   

I think a slight step backwards this year and then unstoppable the next few years.     

For some reason, I think Teddy Bridgewater will be back at some point. 

Jake Fromm is there for 2 reasons

1 - Because Hooker went down  (LOL, so funny, so clever)    and you need a another body for the next practice game

2-  Because you need to see that if Jake Fromm comes in cold and looks more equipped in a week than Nate Sudfeld does, then you know Nate's gotta go. 

12 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

This is why I think the team may take a step back this year.   We  dodged the injury thing, for the most part, last year.  I mean our team was well built so that a Montgomery or ASB being out for a few games didn't devastate them, but at some point it is going to happen.   

I think a slight step backwards this year and then unstoppable the next few years.   

I don't think we dodged the injury thing. Perhaps other teams got hit worse, but the Lions had quite a few injury issues.

OL, for instance lost 9 games among the 5 starters (Decker 2, Jackson 5, Ragnow 2) and the defense really had some key injuries: CJGJ 15 and Mosely 16.9. There's a smattering of other players who missed a few games here and there included ARSB (1), Monty (3), Anzalone (1), etc, but especially that secondary hit was huge. Our secondary was the weakest unit last year easily and it was missing two big name free agents who were supposed to help it for nearly the entire season.

11 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

I don't think we dodged the injury thing. Perhaps other teams got hit worse, but the Lions had quite a few injury issues.

OL, for instance lost 9 games among the 5 starters (Decker 2, Jackson 5, Ragnow 2) and the defense really had some key injuries: CJGJ 15 and Mosely 16.9. There's a smattering of other players who missed a few games here and there included ARSB (1), Monty (3), Anzalone (1), etc, but especially that secondary hit was huge. Our secondary was the weakest unit last year easily and it was missing two big name free agents who were supposed to help it for nearly the entire season.

Didn't Gibbs miss a couple of games too?

We didn't doge the injury bug at all.  We had plenty of injuries that RedRamage mentioned.  Laporta also got hurt last game of the season.  If it wasn't the playoffs I wouldn't of been surprised if he missed at least 2 games and probably 4.

2 hours ago, RedRamage said:

We didn't lose a bunch of guys for a whole season and we didn't lose our QB - we dodged it. 

18 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

We didn't lose a bunch of guys for a whole season and we didn't lose our QB - we dodged it. 

While technically correct, I disagree on dodging it. We did not have many that we lost of the whole season, but we had some key players who missed substantial time:

Cabinda - 12
CJGJ - 14
Houston - 14
Jacobs - 5
McNeil - 4
Mosely - 16(.9)
Paschal - 5
Vatai - 11

And these are just the bigger names. I'm not include Sudfeld or Knight or Zylstra or Nelson (all double digit games missed). And again I'll point out... where were we the weakest last year? Secondary... where the projected starting CB was out for pretty much the entire season and the projected starting safety missing 82% of the season. We started Vildor in the NFC Championship game for goodness sake!

This also doesn't include that we lost Marvin Jones because he stepped away from the missing 11 games or that Jamo was suspended for the first handful of games.

I'm not trying to say that the Lions had it super bad injury-wise. I know that there were other teams that had it worse... MIN, for example. But I don't think the Lions got super luck in the injury front either.

17 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

While technically correct, I disagree on dodging it. We did not have many that we lost of the whole season, but we had some key players who missed substantial time:

Cabinda - 12
CJGJ - 14
Houston - 14
Jacobs - 5
McNeil - 4
Mosely - 16(.9)
Paschal - 5
Vatai - 11

And these are just the bigger names. I'm not include Sudfeld or Knight or Zylstra or Nelson (all double digit games missed). And again I'll point out... where were we the weakest last year? Secondary... where the projected starting CB was out for pretty much the entire season and the projected starting safety missing 82% of the season. We started Vildor in the NFC Championship game for goodness sake!

This also doesn't include that we lost Marvin Jones because he stepped away from the missing 11 games or that Jamo was suspended for the first handful of games.

I'm not trying to say that the Lions had it super bad injury-wise. I know that there were other teams that had it worse... MIN, for example. But I don't think the Lions got super luck in the injury front either.

Dude, this is the NFL man - that list above is getting off easy..............

I think this discussion is kind of ridiculous.  Compared to other teams, I am pretty sure we were pretty comparable.  None of the injuries were catastrophic although they were significant.  This was discussed already although losing Goff would be catastrophic although so would most playoff teams losing their starting QB.  This team is not one injury from missing the playoffs (even Goff) although it could prevent them from having a deep run.  Like any team if you injure more than 2/3 top ten players (on your team) for more than 8 games, you are more than likely to miss the playoffs.  Top 10.....Goff, Hutch, Sewel, St. Brown, La Porta, Decker, McNeil, Ragnow, Gibbs, and Arnold (or you can put in Branch/Davis/Cambell).  Lions are a top 5 with depth which means they can sustain injuries, as long as its not for long periods of time or multiple top talents.

There are analytics for this kind of thing.

This guy uses an algorithm to create the “Adjusted Games Lost” statistic. It accounts for injuries, including those who get a “questionable” tag and still play, and gives more weight to projected starters and more important positions like QB.

It’s likely not perfect, but by his measures we were middle of the pack last year. 13th most fortunate on offense, 24th most fortunate on defense, for 18th overall. Luckiest in the league was the Rams. Unluckiest were the Texans.

As an aside, I would expect the Lions to sustain more injuries in camp than most because of how physical Campbell runs things.

IMG_8186.thumb.jpeg.576e38a0dd89aaa25ed89d63e0f8a7da.jpeg

IMG_8188.thumb.jpeg.9f82966c1622fafc4edb09a90975185e.jpeg

• Thanks 1