Detroit Lions 2024 Offseason Thread

15 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

There are analytics for this kind of thing.

This guy uses an algorithm to create the “Adjusted Games Lost” statistic. It accounts for injuries, including those who get a “questionable” tag and still play, and gives more weight to projected starters and more important positions like QB.

It’s likely not perfect, but by his measures we were middle of the pack last year. 13th most fortunate on offense, 24th most fortunate on defense, for 18th overall. Luckiest in the league was the Rams. Unluckiest were the Texans.

As an aside, I would expect the Lions to sustain more injuries in camp than most because of how physical Campbell runs things.

Thanks, this is really cool. I was looking at the injury listings on pro-football-reference, which are nice charts, but it's great that someone is trying to put a number on it and taking into account the importance to the player/position.

The Lions rank is about what I expected... middle of the pack. Nothing substantial that makes you think the Lions pissed in God's cereal, but also nothing so good that makes you think Holmes made a deal with the devil.

I will say that I think they are under-estimating the importance of the QB, and they seem to admit that as well: "...while Cincinnati showed the limitations of the AGL formula: they ranked third in lowest AGL but of course their most substantial injury was to starting quarterback Joe Burrow."  I think Minnesota is another example of that. They were starting to build some steam last year until Cousins got hurt, then it all fell apart. But Minny is still ranked in the middle of the pack in AGL.

It's always a catch 22 when it comes to how physical your practices are. On one hand I do believe the harder you go at practice the harder you will go during the games and better you will potentially play. OTOH having practices like that open you up to the possibilities of injuries. 

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

It's always a catch 22 when it comes to how physical your practices are. On one hand I do believe the harder you go at practice the harder you will go during the games and better you will potentially play. OTOH having practices like that open you up to the possibilities of injuries. 

Yea, this is a violent game and some is expected. I think hard practice is the best way to prepare for game conditions. You just hope its not too many injuries or the 'wrong' players.

FWIW I would suggest there is logic to hard practices they can control to some point vs. hard and uncontrolled preseason games.

The drama going on in Cincinnati with JaMarr Chase and Dallas with CeeDee Lamb makes me appreciate Holmes even more.

He got it done with ASB. It was easy. You can always question the timing, but he got it done before Justin Jefferson or either of these guys, and now both of these guys want to reset the market and are in a game of chicken with their team with the season on the horizon. You can even throw in San Francisco with Aiyuk.

No drama in Allen Park, just all ball.

• Like 2

On 8/12/2024 at 4:36 PM, MichiganCardinal said:

Surprised by this. They kept him around all of last year. Must not see the development they want.

I think this puts Fountain in the driver's seat for the WR3 role. It's him or DPJ, and DPJ has done himself no favors this camp. I like Isaiah Williams for the 5th spot if DPJ gets cut.

Should of signed the guy I wanted... Tyler Boyd.

IMO.

He went dirt cheap too, on a 1-year.

33 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

Maybe...

I don't remember...

Just that I sooooo wanted to grab him...

I read up on his signing with the Titans. Yes, he signed very cheap. 4.5 million $$. But his head coach in Tennessee was the offensive coordinator his first several years in Cincinnati. It would have been nice to have him here as our #2 or #3 receiver. But it sounds like he wanted a reunion with Callahan.

28 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

If Boyd had signed here, has Jamo done enough to prove he would deserve WR #2 target shares over Boyd? No reason to think based on past performance that Boyd couldn't be the #2 guy on our depth chart and Williams the #3.

Maybe I've been drinking way too much blue kool-aid for too many years but I see Williams having a huge season. Just huge...

19 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

Maybe I've been drinking way too much blue kool-aid for too many years but I see Williams having a huge season. Just huge...

I like Tater's point though...

Boyd would have been the "dependable guy", regardless whether he was the #2 or #3 guy...

Jameson would have been the "explosive guy", again, regardless whether he was the #2 or #3 guy...

I think both could be true independent of each other...

38 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

I like Tater's point though...

Boyd would have been the "dependable guy", regardless whether he was the #2 or #3 guy...

Jameson would have been the "explosive guy", again, regardless whether he was the #2 or #3 guy...

I think both could be true independent of each other...

From the article I read, Cincy wasn't very happy with some key drops he had last season. Very uncharacteristic.

"Boyd's career in Cincinnati ended unceremoniously following a difficult final campaign with the Bengals that included a handful of uncharacteristic drops in key moments."

https://www.nfl.com/news/titans-tyler-boyd-former-bengals-wr-one-year-contract

Edited by Sports_Freak

1 minute ago, Sports_Freak said:

From the article I read, Cincy wasn't very happy with some key drops he had last season. Very uncharacteristic.

I had more more belief in the reliability of Boyd however (aside from Khalif Raymond that is... who I really like as the 4th WR...), than the DPJ/ Antoine Green/ everyone else contingent...

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

I had more more belief in the reliability of Boyd however (aside from Khalif Raymond that is... who I really like as the 4th WR...), than the DPJ/ Antoine Green/ everyone else contingent...

Oh, I agree. But it sounds like the Lions had no interest in signing him and he wanted to play for his old OC. WR depth could be an issue if there are injuries on the Lions. And for the small price he signed for, I would take him in a heartbeat.