Detroit Lions 2024 Offseason Thread

1 hour ago, Sports_Freak said:

So...that about 25 weeks or so? Very good money but not really life changing. Not like Goff money...😅😅

$50 -$65k per month for guys in their 20’s that just got cut from an NFL team is life changing.  I’m not sure many would start off making that in a year if they didn’t make practice squad and had to change into a new career without any experience.  

53 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

$50 -$65k per month for guys in their 20’s that just got cut from an NFL team is life changing.  I’m not sure many would start off making that in a year if they didn’t make practice squad and had to change into a new career without any experience.  

True but I meant more like being set for life. It's great money for as long as it lasts but somebody that young may want to think what they'll do in a few years.

Well we certainly have no shortage of semi-baked X Receivers now. I actually like the Tim Patrick signing and think there might be something there if he can actually manage to stay healthy and learn the playbook. That's a BIG IF for him given the last two seasons he's barely played a regular season snap. But I think signing Patrick presents a low risk, medium reward and I'm happy to have him on the practice squad. I think Allen Robinson is completely cooked. The guy hasn't even gone over 400 yards and 35 receptions in three seasons now. He's fine as a practice squad signing, but at 31 years old, I expect nothing out of him.

The Nate Sudfeld fall from grace is one backup QB historians will ponder about.

From the clear QB2 (Campbell said as much) to not playing in the third preseason game and being passed on the practice squad by Jake Fromm, who was only acquired as insurance against Hooker not being able to play. Most didn’t think Fromm would even take a snap in a Lions uniform once Hooker was good to play in the second preseason game.

Though with Cominsky going to IR today it creates a spot, maybe they still sign him. I think more likely is that Patrick gets elevated.

21 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

From the clear QB2 (Campbell said as much) to not playing in the third preseason game and being passed on the practice squad by Jake Fromm, who was only acquired as insurance against Hooker not being able to play. Most didn’t think Fromm would even take a snap in a Lions uniform once Hooker was good to play in the second preseason game.

Though with Cominsky going to IR today it creates a spot, maybe they still sign him. I think more likely is that Patrick gets elevated.

I do to.  But if Patrick gets elevated, it opens up another of the 6 veteran practice squad spots which Sudfield could fill. They had to cut Moore from the practice squad to sign DPJ so maybe they bring him back instead.

25 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I remember hearing Sudfeld was wearinga knee brace during PS games. Maybe he is just not healthy enough.

May be an image of 3 people, people playing football and text that says 'LIDAS QB JaredGoff Jared Goff Hendon Hooker LIONS RB Jahmyr Gibbs David Montgomery Craig Reynolds Sione Vaki สมมรา WR Kalif Raymond Amon-Ra St. Brown Isaiah Williams Jameson Williams'

Are we really only rolling with 4 WRs on our active 53 man roster? Looking through other depth charts around the league (not that I looked at every single teams) I didn't see anyone else with only 4 active WRs on their roster. Seems like they have to call up at least one more WR to the active roster. If someone were to go down in a game it seems like we'd be in trouble with the only 3 WRs out there.

34 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

May be an image of 3 people, people playing football and text that says 'LIDAS QB JaredGoff Jared Goff Hendon Hooker LIONS RB Jahmyr Gibbs David Montgomery Craig Reynolds Sione Vaki สมมรา WR Kalif Raymond Amon-Ra St. Brown Isaiah Williams Jameson Williams'

Are we really only rolling with 4 WRs on our active 53 man roster? Looking through other depth charts around the league (not that I looked at every single teams) I didn't see anyone else with only 4 active WRs on their roster. Seems like they have to call up at least one more WR to the active roster. If someone were to go down in a game it seems like we'd be in trouble with the only 3 WRs out there.

No I don't believe they will.  Just like they weren't going to roll with 0 kickers on the active roster in 2021.  There are a lot of variables they to the initial and subsequent 53's and practice squads.

1 hour ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

First game is 10 days away...

That week, prior to gameday when they set their roster for that game...

THAT's when they will decide WHICH X-receiver will be called up as the 5th WR...

It WILL be one of them (I'm just guessing here... but I firmly believe on gameday it'll be 5 WR's and they're just biding time until they need to make that decision...), IMO.

My guess is Allen Robinson will start off as the gameday X. Veteran, should pick up the play book quickly. They only need him as a blocking WR and as a dump-off for a few passes and maybe a 1st down or end-zone "my WR is bigger than your 5'8" CB" catch or two. I'm confidant AR II can do what's needed as a stopgap.

Is DPJ injured, or hiding an injury? Why was he so ineffective in the preseason games? He, actually, STILL has a shot with this team/ coaching staff...? Things that make me go hmmm, I have to think about that!

I think Tim Patrick, once he gets up to playbook and Goff-is-comfy-with-him speed will be the guy.

But if I'm thinking about it... that's why we still have DPJ and signed AR II. If Patrick gets nicked up again, for one game or many, these two are fallback options.

On 8/24/2024 at 7:22 PM, buddha said:

fromm looks great against the steelers' udfas.

sudfeld and hooker are your backups.

Woops.   You guessed wrong.  

th?id=OIP.-h0DTiOpYVnh857KPx4R8QAAAA&pid=Api&P=0&h=220

Didn't matter the level of defense.   Sudfeld looked unsure, unstable, deer-in-headlights.    Fromm was decisive and pretty accurate and that's with little previous interaction with the team.      It was night-and-day.          Lets hope we never need to see him in a real game.