Detroit Lions 2024 Offseason Thread

On 9/18/2024 at 5:04 PM, Hongbit said:

It’s behind a paywall so I can’t read but I have a hard time believing that Campbell actually said that quote.    The Lions history certainly doesn’t warrant anyone getting that upset over losses.   Definitely not toward the most beloved coach in franchise history.    He’s a funny guy so maybe he made a joke.  He’s making a lot more money and could’ve just wanted to move into a bigger mansion.

Turns out the story is 100% true.

I didn’t account for stupid rich high school kids doing dumb ass stupid rich high school kid stuff.  

3 hours ago, Jason_R said:

The Bengals are not having a fire sale three weeks into the season. 

Maybe not, probably not, but they know the probability of an 0-3 team making the playoffs is under 3%. With Trey Hendrickson crossing the 30 mark this year, it may be something they want to consider. I doubt Holmes would even do it, but we should be making calls like that.

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

Its actually rare to have any major trades happen this early in the season.  GM's want to first see if their depth can replace any injured players.  Especially with this team, draft picks are way too important to not be patient.  Also teams that are 0-3 are not ready to give up on their season.  Only trades you see happen this early are when both teams think they are getting better.

5 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Its actually rare to have any major trades happen this early in the season.  GM's want to first see if their depth can replace any injured players.  Especially with this team, draft picks are way too important to not be patient.  Also teams that are 0-3 are not ready to give up on their season.  Only trades you see happen this early are when both teams think they are getting better.

Maybe the Bengals aren't ready to give up on their season just yet, but statistically speaking, it's over. The stats around teams that are 0-3 making the playoffs are 2.5%. Trey Hendrickson's agent and the Bengals should be getting calls real soon, especially if they start 0-4. As a team on the precipice of a Super Bowl appearance, we should be one of those teams calling. 

9 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Maybe the Bengals aren't ready to give up on their season just yet, but statistically speaking, it's over. The stats around teams that are 0-3 making the playoffs are 2.5%. Trey Hendrickson's agent and the Bengals should be getting calls real soon, especially if they start 0-4. As a team on the precipice of a Super Bowl appearance, we should be one of those teams calling. 

Those stats come out every year (more often about teams starting 0-2 or 1-2) and I don’t put much stock in them.

Of course starting 0-3 is bad. But what matters more is that you have the talent to right the ship, and the Bengals are talented. Not to mention they are all in on winning now and have demonstrated a lack of interest in trading talent. They’ve pissed off half their receivers room in addition to Hendrickson, and are likely far from throwing in the towel on this season. If they give up now, they’re also giving up on Zac Taylor, Duke Tobin, Tee Higgins, and JaMarr Chase and are likely rebuilding their entire team over the course of multiple years while saddled with a (very good) QB (but) whose APY is $55 million.

95% of teams that start 0-3 suck. That’s why the stats are so grim. The Titans suck. The Jaguars probably suck. I don’t think the Bengals suck. They should have beaten the Chiefs a week ago.

Our own 2021 squad shows that you can recover from worse than 0-3. If they’re 2-7 or 1-8 at the trade deadline, then sure that might change and they’ll probably offload some talent that they won’t be able to re-sign. But they wouldn’t even entertain a conversation right now, or at 0-4.

1 hour ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Those stats come out every year (more often about teams starting 0-2 or 1-2) and I don’t put much stock in them.

Of course starting 0-3 is bad. But what matters more is that you have the talent to right the ship, and the Bengals are talented. Not to mention they are all in on winning now and have demonstrated a lack of interest in trading talent. They’ve pissed off half their receivers room in addition to Hendrickson, and are likely far from throwing in the towel on this season. If they give up now, they’re also giving up on Zac Taylor, Duke Tobin, Tee Higgins, and JaMarr Chase and are likely rebuilding their entire team over the course of multiple years while saddled with a (very good) QB (but) whose APY is $55 million.

95% of teams that start 0-3 suck. That’s why the stats are so grim. The Titans suck. The Jaguars probably suck. I don’t think the Bengals suck. They should have beaten the Chiefs a week ago.

Our own 2021 squad shows that you can recover from worse than 0-3. If they’re 2-7 or 1-8 at the trade deadline, then sure that might change and they’ll probably offload some talent that they won’t be able to re-sign. But they wouldn’t even entertain a conversation right now, or at 0-4.

Yeah, it's crazy to see folks on Twitter say the Lions should go out and get Higgins. I even saw an argument that the Lions should go after Maxx Crosby. Crazy talk because Holmes doesn't usually swing huge trades and the Raiders aren't looking to trade away an important defensive player. There's a big difference between what fans want them to do and what they actually can do. SMH

On 9/18/2024 at 5:04 PM, Hongbit said:

It’s behind a paywall so I can’t read but I have a hard time believing that Campbell actually said that quote.    The Lions history certainly doesn’t warrant anyone getting that upset over losses.   Definitely not toward the most beloved coach in franchise history.    He’s a funny guy so maybe he made a joke.  He’s making a lot more money and could’ve just wanted to move into a bigger mansion.

It was in the Free Press last week or so. I figured in was TP Fan harassing Campbell....🤣🤣🤣

16 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

Yeah, it's crazy to see folks on Twitter say the Lions should go out and get Higgins. I even saw an argument that the Lions should go after Maxx Crosby. Crazy talk because Holmes doesn't usually swing huge trades and the Raiders aren't looking to trade away an important defensive player. There's a big difference between what fans want them to do and what they actually can do. SMH

Maxx Crosby is probably the only one who I’d approve going out and getting. He’s a game wrecker, perfect mindset for the locker room, is from the area, and combined with Hutch would lead to teams needing jumbo package offensive lines just to get passes off. He’s worth two 1sts and maybe then some. He’s also already signed through 2026, which would work with when all the contract extensions they’ve already signed get into the massive money.

But it’s a pipe dream. The Raiders are terrible but won’t admit it so he’s stuck.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Maxx Crosby is probably the only one who I’d approve going out and getting. He’s a game wrecker, perfect mindset for the locker room, is from the area, and combined with Hutch would lead to teams needing jumbo package offensive lines just to get passes off. He’s worth two 1sts and maybe then some. He’s also already signed through 2026, which would work with when all the contract extensions they’ve already signed get into the massive money.

But it’s a pipe dream. The Raiders are terrible but won’t admit it so he’s stuck.

They won't get better by trading away one of the best players at his position in the NFL. Fans need to realize that Lions 1st round picks aren't as valuable as they used to be.

17 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Trey Hendrickson had 17.5 sacks last season and 25 QB hits. He's a guy that can play all three downs as well. If the Bengals continue their free fall you wouldn't call about Hendrickson? I would for sure.

5 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Trey Hendrickson had 17.5 sacks last season and 25 QB hits. He's a guy that can play all three downs as well. If the Bengals continue their free fall you wouldn't call about Hendrickson? I would for sure.

If the price was right, sure, but I think his contract and attitude (at least how it’s portrayed) distinguish him and make him less likely to be of interest to the Lions. He never seems to be satisfied with his contract. He complained about his deal (4/60), got a raise (1/21), and then less than a year later threatened retirement and requested a trade if he didn’t get an extension.

Wherever he goes, he’s not going to want to play 2025 on a lame duck deal, instead wanting a big money extension at the age of 30, and I don’t think Holmes will be prepared to give him one at the expense of guys like Alim, Barnes, Jamo, and even Levi.

Which effectively makes him a rental. That Cincinnati will probably want a 1st for, if they even answer the phone. As opposed to Crosby, who you’d have through at least 2025 (he’s signed through 2026), and who’s younger, better, and brings no drama. At roughly the same price, and who I wouldn’t be as upset about losing a guy like Alim in order to keep on an extension.

I wouldn’t be upset if we somehow got Hendrickson, but I would be pretty surprised.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

What’s the minimum bid you have to make in order for Cincinnati’s GM not to respond “**** the **** off and don’t call me again.”

1 hour ago, Jason_R said:

What’s the minimum bid you have to make in order for Cincinnati’s GM not to respond “**** the **** off and don’t call me again.”

Trey Hendrickson is a 1st round talent, granted he's 29 pushing 30 this year. But if I felt I could work out a 2-3 year deal with him I'd give up 1st for him. If Montez Sweat commanded a 2nd to acquire him, and I would have been willing to make that trade too, then Hendrickson will likely command a 1st. I'd be willing to make the deal since we're in win now mode.

7 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Trey Hendrickson is a 1st round talent, granted he's 29 pushing 30 this year. But if I felt I could work out a 2-3 year deal with him I'd give up 1st for him. If Montez Sweat commanded a 2nd to acquire him, and I would have been willing to make that trade too, then Hendrickson will likely command a 1st. I'd be willing to make the deal since we're in win now mode.

A late 1st round pick would do it?