Detroit Lions 2024 Offseason Thread

I know the windows in the NFL are smaller unless you have a great QB although I think this team is different because of how young we are and how good our GM is.  At the trade deadline is one thing but I don't seem Holmes making trades for players for early draft picks at this point in the season.  We are in win now mode but we can be in win now for the next 4-5 years or more.  These injuries are tough although this is the NFL and most teams have to deal with them.  Were not making any major trades (and really either is Cincy) this early in the season.

12 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

A late 1st round pick would do it?

A second round pick did it for Montez Sweat. Hendrickson is probably a better player than Sweat and is also older than Sweat was when he was traded. I'd start the bidding with a 1st and go from there as needed.

21 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Trey Hendrickson is a 1st round talent, granted he's 29 pushing 30 this year. But if I felt I could work out a 2-3 year deal with him I'd give up 1st for him. If Montez Sweat commanded a 2nd to acquire him, and I would have been willing to make that trade too, then Hendrickson will likely command a 1st. I'd be willing to make the deal since we're in win now mode.

A 2nd round pick from the Bears is pretty close to a late 1st round pick from the Lions. Possibly.

Hendrickson is looking at his last big payday and he’s going to want more than a 2 or 3 year term on it.   I don’t see how the Lions could add him and give him anything longer than 2 years.  That may be pushing it too.  I don’t see him being interested in that in a sign and trade deal.  

The Lions have all their recent resigns coming due starting in 2026.  They will need another $30m plus on top of those for Hutch.   His best signed as soon as possible as the price tag goes up every day.  

1 hour ago, Hongbit said:

Hendrickson is looking at his last big payday and he’s going to want more than a 2 or 3 year term on it.   I don’t see how the Lions could add him and give him anything longer than 2 years.  That may be pushing it too.  I don’t see him being interested in that in a sign and trade deal.  

The Lions have all their recent resigns coming due starting in 2026.  They will need another $30m plus on top of those for Hutch.   His best signed as soon as possible as the price tag goes up every day.  

That's just it. With Hendrickson, I don't see how they re-sign and/or effectively replace the group of Hutchinson, Alim, Jamo, Barnes, Levi, Zeitler, and Iffy. And that's just those expiring (or sure to be extended in Hutch's case) after this season. Next year, add in Anzalone, Montgomery, Reader, Raymond, Paschal, and Kerby. I think Alim would have to leave for sure, and at that point, the center of your defensive line suddenly looks much worse while the edges look better, and you're counting on guys like Martin and Wingo to step up.

Your trade options - at least for a big name like we are talking about - have to be either a three-month rental, who leaves and whose salary gets replaced by Hutchinson's extension, or a player who is already under a reasonable contract, who would allow you to maneuver the above deals you make to push money to after they are gone.

Adding someone like Hendrickson or Reddick is virtually guaranteed to make you weaker elsewhere (and, hey, maybe you're okay with that, which I get looking at their stats).

I think Holmes and Campbell have shown that they don't care or atleast aren't as concerned as most about getting that other pass rusher on the end. In the past 2 drafts people have been clamoring for it and they passed on guys that may have fit that bill along with not going after any of the potential vets that could have whether via trade or FA.