2024 Detroit Tigers Spring Training Thread

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

It’s hard to argue against success, but to be fair, everyone including me and perhaps even you, criticized the pick of a high school pitcher at 1/3 as being same old Avila.

What would be a fun and even spirited debate is whether Jobe would have amounted to anything has Chris Ilitch been asleep at the wheel like many including I believed, still kept the Avila regime and their coaching choices on board today, and trusted Jobe’s development to that lot. The wild card is that A.J. was here by then, so who knows whether and how much influence he had on the pick, although developmental guru Ryan Garko was not as of yet.

I didn't think it was a good pick at the time and still prefer position players with top picks, but these are players most of us know little about.  The Tigers under, even under Avila, know way more about amateur player than fans do. 

I trust the Tigers development system more under Harris, but until they succeed in the majors you can't say it's a success.  The goal is not to see how many players you place on the top 100 list.

• Thanks 1

all we know is Avila drafted the most risky type of player #3 - a HS pitcher

and Harris took the risk of passing on a more proven college bat, who had an absolutely monstrous year, for a HS bat from a cold weather state

time will tell if the picks were worth the risk

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

It’s hard to argue against success, but to be fair, everyone including me and perhaps even you, criticized the pick of a high school pitcher at 1/3 as being same old Avila.

What would be a fun and even spirited debate is whether Jobe would have amounted to anything has Chris Ilitch been asleep at the wheel like many including I believed, still kept the Avila regime and their coaching choices on board today, and trusted Jobe’s development to that lot. The wild card is that A.J. was here by then, so who knows whether and how much influence he had on the pick, although developmental guru Ryan Garko was not as of yet.

Tigers were starting to figure out pitcher development under Avila, they didn't seem to have a clue about hitters till the end though.

48 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

The goal is not to see how many players you place on the top 100 list.

Exactly. All that matters are the ones that make it. You can draft a lot of high floor guys and look good in the system evaluations and never build an MLB team. I think in the baseball draft you mostly have to swing for the fences, ceilings are all that matters,  but even then there is a fine line between doing that too much and coming up with nobody at all as cellings can be hard to know. For instance Carpenter and Bigbie have probably already exceeded what theirs were assumed to be at draft time. Workman maybe a case of guy with a potential high ceiling who couldn't get there. Do you call him a failed pick or the kind of chance you want to be taking?

Edited by gehringer_2

1 hour ago, LongLiveMaroth said:

After getting 30 games with the DBacks in 22 (mostly at 2B) and not hitting much, Kennedy started out last season with a lot of promise at AAA putting up a 925 OPS though mostly OBP and little power. In August the Diamondbacks called him up for 3B but after he had only 4 hits in 10 games they pulled the plug and sent him off to Oakland, who sent him to AAA but at that point he played only 11 more games and didn't do much. Has played 2B and 3B recently. Compared to Lipcius probably more bat upside. 

Edited by gehringer_2

2 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

5 foot 9 inch white guy named Buddy...That just oozes grittiness.

licensed-image?q=tbn:ANd9GcRcqmJH9GG-D9s

No doubt is a first one there last to leave type of guy, also you can bet he is a great clubhouse guy that teammates love being around. 

On 2/28/2024 at 11:21 PM, mtutiger said:

Not that it's amounted to a ton to-date, but Jobe did sign underslot iirc, which I'm guessing helped getting Ty Madden and Izaac Pacheco signed (Pacheco not looking so hot these days). Same with Max Clark, who deferred some earnings which likely helped bring in Kevin McGonigle.

These debates where we hone in on one player (Marcelo Mayer and Wyatt Langford in particular) all miss that nuance IMO. Maybe we all would have had different preferences if we were the ones drafting, but it shouldn't be that hard to see the logic in why they did what they did either.

I misremembered that. For some reason I thought he went over slot. He did get more than Mayer, though there's no guarantees Mayer would have signed for his number.

The 2021 draft hasn't produced a big leaguer yet, but it has been a pretty impressive crop rising through the ranks. I believe that Mike Rothenberg (retired) is the only player who has been cut. Holub was traded for Canha.

I worry that Riley Greene is a benign version of Mr. Glass. Fortunately, the world doesn’t revolve around my worries, but as soon as he was out of the lineup the team did seem to collapse for a while, so he is an essential part of the synergy of this club. 

7 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

In how many games? 

That is the million dollar question. Quote from the article: "With health and better controlled aggression, Greene will put himself in a great position to hit his 90th percentile outcome."

I'm not sure if "controlled aggression" refers to plate discipline or diving plays or both.