2024 Detroit Tigers Spring Training Thread

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/the-tigers-rotation-is-suddenly-flush-with-options/

It doesn’t sound like Detroit has an appetite for a six-man rotation to start the season, which means one of Manning, Mize, or Reese Olson could start the year either in the bullpen or in the minors. With Gipson-Long waiting in the wings and a host of other spot starters like Wentz and Alex Faedo on the 40-man roster, the Tigers have the luxury of bringing some of their top pitching prospects along slowly. Wilmer Flores and Ty Madden both reached Double-A last year and look like they’re on the fast track to the majors, and the Tigers’ top pitching prospect, Jackson Jobe, isn’t that far behind. With the depth the team has established, Detroit can really give that trio of young pitchers all the development time they need when they’d otherwise be lined up to make their debuts this year.

So, looks like it's The Miggy Show in Lakeland today. Practically every tweet this morning by the beat press is a breathless report of what Miggy is doing right now.

I don't know how to feel about that. I mean, I know how I do feel, but what I'm not 100% sure of is whether it's not such a good idea to have His Miggyness looming over this team once again. I've been so excited to read reports of camp cohesion this spring. I hope his presence doesn't put a damper on that.

34 minutes ago, chasfh said:

So, looks like it's The Miggy Show in Lakeland today. Practically every tweet this morning by the beat press is a breathless report of what Miggy is doing right now.

I don't know how to feel about that. I mean, I know how I do feel, but what I'm not 100% sure of is whether it's not such a good idea to have His Miggyness looming over this team once again. I've been so excited to read reports of camp cohesion this spring. I hope his presence doesn't put a damper on that.

Why would it be bad? He has an executive position. Did he say he would fix Harveys swing or something?

4 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

Why would it be bad? He has an executive position. Did he say he would fix Harveys swing or something?

That was my suggestion. Maybe he’s been in the cage with Harvey the last two days working with him. I seriously would like to think something along that line is going on. Baez is starting today with Canha in the middle of the lineup. Apologies to Maeda.

16 hours ago, oblong said:

He pitched 1.2 innings after the trade.  

Oh my god I just looked up Justin Thompson’s card and he had such a weird 1997. He had 7.7 bWAR, which is in Cy Young territory, but he did not get a single vote. I looked up his Fangraphs card, and his RA9-WAR is 7.1. RA9 is the WAR based solely on results. But his fWAR, the one based on underlying factors, is only 4.9. That’s because he had a really low BABIP that year. I’m not sure I’ve ever seen that kind of spread between the two numbers.

22 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Oh my god I just looked up Justin Thompson’s card and he had such a weird 1997. He had 7.7 bWAR, which is in Cy Young territory, but he did not get a single vote. I looked up his Fangraphs card, and his RA9-WAR is 7.1. RA9 is the WAR based solely on results. But his fWAR, the one based on underlying factors, is only 4.9. That’s because he had a really low BABIP that year. I’m not sure I’ve ever seen that kind of spread between the two numbers.

That low BABIP is in no doubt thanks to Deivi Cruz locking down SS all season.

• Like 1

I know it's never going to happen because it's intradivisional, and probably outside of Harris's plans, and that's OK—but, man, would a controllable-for-the-next-two-years Dylan Cease ever look good in the olde English D, and I would be totally fine sending them Reese Olson-JHM-plus for him.

23 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

He was money (as long as the ball was hit right at him).

Deivi is one of those guys who prolly wishes he was born a couple of decades later when they likely could have fixed his ankle to get all his mobility back. He wasn't a bad stick for a SS if he could have remained a good SS.

Edited by gehringer_2

32 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Deivi is one of those guys who prolly wishes he was born a couple of decades later when they likely could have fixed his ankle to get all his mobility back. He wasn't a bad stick for a SS if he could have remained a good SS.

On the other hand, Today's shortstops are expected to contribute a lot more offense than they used to provide

Just saw a thing that pointed out that Cameron Maybin hit HR's in 3 different decades for the Tigers, 2000's, 2010's, and 2020's, despite only playing in around 130 games for the team.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, chasfh said:

I know it's never going to happen because it's intradivisional, and probably outside of Harris's plans, and that's OK—but, man, would a controllable-for-the-next-two-years Dylan Cease ever look good in the olde English D, and I would be totally fine sending them Reese Olson-JHM-plus for him.

I don’t know.  I think the rotation is fine to start out the season.  And for all of the warts surrounding Malloy’s defense and injury possibilities with any random pitcher (on either side of this theoretical deal), I kind of want to see how Malloy and Olson perform as Tigers.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, casimir said:

I don’t know.  I think the rotation is fine to start out the season.  And for all of the warts surrounding Malloy’s defense and injury possibilities with any random pitcher (on either side of this theoretical deal), I kind of want to see how Malloy and Olson perform as Tigers.

Oh yeah, we'll be fine, and like I say, it almost certainly doesn't fit into our plans. But I'd sure be OK with it.

5 hours ago, chasfh said:

Oh yeah, we'll be fine, and like I say, it almost certainly doesn't fit into our plans. But I'd sure be OK with it.

Ok, how about trying Javy Baez for Gunnar Henderson whilst your making guys move?

7 hours ago, mtutiger said:

I'd just be happy to see Dylan Cease out of the division lol

In his career, Dylan is 10-1 vs. the Tigers, with a 2.07 ERA.  Tigers batted .214 against him.

He has 43 career wins - 23% of his career wins have come against the Tigers - enjoy the NL West Dylan!