2024 Detroit Tigers Spring Training Thread

15 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

mean, it is a back muscle, but it connects to the shoulder.

well you have your location and then you have your articulation....😉

It's a common enough ambiguity though. Your calf moves your foot, but if your calf hurts you'd probably say the pain was in your leg. 

+1 on the graphic ("Scarlett O'Hara's Halloween")

Edited by gehringer_2

19 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

He replied to my tweet clarify.

Anyways, that was his lat, and I always struggle when people try to say the lat is a back muscle and not as shoulder muscle.

I mean, it is a back muscle, but it connects to the shoulder.

Latissimus Dorsi Muscle Anatomy - Bodyworks Prime

I was told there would be no math.

1 hour ago, casimir said:

Ah, yes, the Freddy Garcia era.  Good times, all 5 or whatever games he pitched for the Tigers.  That makeup game sucked.  I remember it, I watched it as though it were a penance from confession.

But Brad Penny did start a playoff game against Texas in 2011.  He lasted all of 1 2/3 innings.  I don’t remember exactly what the issue was, but the pitching staff was beset with issues that series.  Injuries, ineffectiveness.  I’m pretty sure Penny was relegated to the bullpen for the series, but got pulled back to the rotation out of desperation.

Penny only pitched in game 6 of the ALCS after the Tigers were way behind.  

8 hours ago, oblong said:

Penny only pitched in game 6 of the ALCS after the Tigers were way behind.  

Oh, yeah, you're right about that.  I wonder what game I was thinking of?  Maybe it was Penny in relief I was thinking of?

That game was a 15-5 series ending loss to Texas.  Good grief, what a way to bow out.  Scherzer and Verlander got clobbered.

image.png.11239de04e2845d2e3d6cb4ebd995f4a.png

18 hours ago, Edman85 said:

2012 and 13, you had some combo of Verlander, Scherzer, Porcello, Sanchez, and Fister with Smyly in reserve. 2014, Fister was traded, and Smyly backfilled until Price was acquired. That core was pretty durable. You had as good of a 1-5 as you will find in baseball history. Yes, they didn't make every start so you may remember some back end guys who filled in, but you are talking about your 7th and 8th guys not your 4th and 5th.

In 2023 the Tigers had 16 different pitchers start a game. In 2013 the Tigers had just 6.  Talk about a lucky year when no one got hurt or was ineffective.   Wow!

Verlander 34, Fister 32, Scherzer 32, Sanchez 29, Porcello 29, & Jose Alvarez 6

• Like 3

Not to relitigate past discussions.... but the move of Fister move was blasted at the time by casual fans and talk about selling high.

But then I will always maintain that DD panicked and couldn't be patient and within a matter of hours traded Ray and Eugenio Saurez.

You could reverse or change a couple of moves during that general time period that would have dramatically changed the fortunes of this franchise the next 10 years.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I had a dream.     Six Tigers got one-year suspensions for gambling.   Greene, Tork, Rogers and Mize.   I can't recall the other two.     Season's over, man,  Manfred dropped the big one.   

But then FanDuel threatened to pull out of their agreement and the players were re-instated.  

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Tenacious D said:

Can Hiura opt out?  Would really like to see him rake in Toledo and serve as Tork insurance.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jRnDAcv86yGYl1Tq6fdXD1VoGr2Ls5PiRBNEFBXHL3Y/edit?usp=drive_link

this is Edman's spreadsheet. Page one says Huira is out of options, page two says he can declare FA if outrighted.

Edited by gehringer_2

5 hours ago, SoCalTiger said:

I think we will lose Hirua since he had a good spring. Someone will give him a MLB gig.

I’m not all that worried about Hiura leaving.  1B is Torkelson’s.  They have Canha as a backup.  Vierling could play over there as well.  Hiura has a weird bat and poor defense.  Doesn’t seem like much of a loss to me.

2 minutes ago, Tigermojo said:

Olson is pitching Saturday against the Yankees and Maeda is pitching the split squad against Toronto. My guess is that sets up Olson to start for Toledo and avoids him earning super two status.

Well, Mize was sharp in his last outing, no doubt.  The question might be has stamina, but they can probably wiggle their way through that with the right relievers in the bullpen.

Kind of stinks for Olson given how he pitched for the Tigers last season.  On the other hand, that was largely a surprise given his AAA work to date last year.  And as has been mentioned several times, it sure is nice to have this kind of depth for once.

1 minute ago, casimir said:

Well, Mize was sharp in his last outing, no doubt.  The question might be has stamina, but they can probably wiggle their way through that with the right relievers in the bullpen.

Kind of stinks for Olson given how he pitched for the Tigers last season.  On the other hand, that was largely a surprise given his AAA work to date last year.  And as has been mentioned several times, it sure is nice to have this kind of depth for once.

The one stat that stands out for Mize is the 9 walks.  Control issues are common among pitchers returning from TJ surgery.  I wouldn't be surprised if the send Mize down so they can better monitor his pitches/innings (for at least awhile).  Regardless of who they send down, I think both Olson and Mize will have significant contributions for the Tigers this year as injuries always happen.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, bobrob2004 said:

The one stat that stands out for Mize is the 9 walks.  Control issues are common among pitchers returning from TJ surgery.  I wouldn't be surprised if the send Mize down so they can better monitor his pitches/innings (for at least awhile).  

If I’m not mistaken he only issued one walk in 4.2 innings yesterday. He’s moving in the right direction. I can’t see him starting anywhere but in Detroit this year. This is what he’s been busting it for for nearly two years.