2024 Detroit Tigers Spring Training Thread

3 minutes ago, LongLiveMaroth said:

I know he had been giving up some HR's on his hits but that is a little surprising to me that Manning went down.

It's probably a numbers game and a chance for Manning to work on a few more things

3 minutes ago, LongLiveMaroth said:

I know he had been giving up some HR's on his hits but that is a little surprising to me that Manning went down.

Tough one. Only one run was earned yesterday because of Javy's bad throw.

5 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

It's probably a numbers game and a chance for Manning to work on a few more things

LOL at the comment below Cody's post complaining about Manning going down because they signed two starters.

Just cannot win with people on the internet

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

LOL at the comment below Cody's post complaining about Manning going down because they signed two starters.

Just cannot win with people on the internet

There have been time where I would have liked to challenge some of those "armchair GM's" to play a couple of seasons in an APBA or similar draft league.

I'm to old and crotchety for that drama now 

It's surprising, although I don't know how surprising it should be.... the expectations from the podcast/beat writer set seemed to assume Manning was a lock, but while Mize and Olson had flaws of their own (Mize in particular with walks), they both seemed to give up less hard contact as well in their starts.

The level of competition is just higher to make this team, and that's a sign of progress.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, chasfh said:

If Pipeline is to be believed, by the time Avila was shown the door, he brought the system down from an A to a D+. I would call that going backwards.

image.png.0bc23958e7e372595e58de0ade3f85ad.png

I’d like to see the rankings when Avila took over in 2015.

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

If Pipeline is to be believed, by the time Avila was shown the door, he brought the system down from an A to a D+. I would call that going backwards.

image.png.0bc23958e7e372595e58de0ade3f85ad.png

You see that part where it says they were ranked #2 in the preseason prior?

Could you be more disingenuous when it comes to anything involving Avila?

• Haha 1

I’m kind of surprised Manning is the one going to Toledo.  I’m not against it, someone had to go.  I think it’d have been easy to assign that to Olson.  A case could probably be made for any of the three to be sent down “to work on stuff”, be it stamina, control, whatever.

Diaz probably goes to waivers.  I suspect Wentz makes the team for the time being as an extra lefty.  So I think it’s down to Faedo or Breiske.

Just to echo @mtutiger, it’s nice to see the floor raised.

11 minutes ago, casimir said:

I’m kind of surprised Manning is the one going to Toledo.  I’m not against it, someone had to go.  I think it’d have been easy to assign that to Olson.  A case could probably be made for any of the three to be sent down “to work on stuff”, be it stamina, control, whatever.

Olson was probably the easiest to send down, just think he pitched too well this Spring.... he may have been the best of the three.

1 hour ago, LongLiveMaroth said:

I know he had been giving up some HR's

apparently a few too many.

I thought he was clearly ahead of Mize earlier in ST but Casey really closed the gap. Now the question is how Mize's control looks in a few starts after the lights come on.

Edited by gehringer_2

29 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Olson was probably the easiest to send down, just think he pitched too well this Spring.... he may have been the best of the three.

I guess it's nice to know this wasn't a $$/service time decision. I thought after having Baddoo reach super 2 status and then not really take off they might be more reluctant to set another player up for super 2.

26 minutes ago, Tigermojo said:

Olson is also set to pitch the most innings out of any of them. Skubal 80, Manning 78 and Mize zero innings probably means they will have limits this year.

That could also be a factor.  Olson tossed about 140 last season between Toledo and Detroit.  Maybe 160-170 is his target this season?

Skubal has gotten to about 150 before in 2021.  Same with Mize, just a few more outs that season.  Manning hasn't been above 100 since 2019.

7 hours ago, chasfh said:

The amazing thing is that Al Avila was the disaster happening right in front of our eyes that practically nobody could deny, which all of us with few exceptions agreed on at the time. He took a franchise that had just come off a playoff run and had it floundering for not two, for not three, for not even four, but for seven years, with no respite in between and no end in sight. By the time he finally got ****-canned, other teams like the Orioles and Padres had already gone into their rebuild later and emerged much earlier. Al crippled this organization so thoroughly that it was essentially still at the beginning of its rebuild when a new front office finally came in to clean up the mess.

Now, through the gauzy haze of memory, at a time when things are finally looking up two season later, people like Lynn Henning want to give Al more than half the credit for this ray of daylight, simply because out of the gaggle of players he drafted—not traded for, not signed internationally, not picked up off the waiver wire or free agent pile, but drafted, the only player acquisition channel he had even a little clue about—the new regime looks like they might be able to salvage a few. His friends who are writing the history are now casting him as the savvy hero who saved the franchise, instead of an out-of-his-depth Peter-Principled technocrat who ran it into the rocks. It’s a mass gaslighting gone berserk. 

So go ahead and give the guy credit if you like. At least I still remember how it really happened.

Love this. Wish I could have articulated my thoughts so well. And how bloody hard is it to draft when you have the first pick twice and then number five for gosh sakes. Plus he is still out of a job I believe. 

• Thanks 1

The Tigers might have a (dare I say) surplus of SP. There's another wave behind that. I really think they should trade one of their starters not named Skubal for a legit position player. I get that we are still a year or two away from competitive baseball, but now would be the time to get a young buck in here. I still want Cowser from Baltiomore. I think he can be had too since they have Stowers waiting in the wings. 

49 minutes ago, SoCalTiger said:

Love this. Wish I could have articulated my thoughts so well. And how bloody hard is it to draft when you have the first pick twice and then number five for gosh sakes. Plus he is still out of a job I believe. 

Randy Smith, for one, found it very hard to find success with high draft picks.  

• Like 1