2024 Detroit Tigers Spring Training Thread

33 minutes ago, AlaskanTigersFan said:

The Tigers might have a (dare I say) surplus of SP. There's another wave behind that. I really think they should trade one of their starters not named Skubal for a legit position player. I get that we are still a year or two away from competitive baseball, but now would be the time to get a young buck in here. I still want Cowser from Baltiomore. I think he can be had too since they have Stowers waiting in the wings. 

The Tigers have been a year away from contending for about 7 years now...🤣🤣

8 hours ago, chasfh said:

The amazing thing is that Al Avila was the disaster happening right in front of our eyes that practically nobody could deny, which all of us with few exceptions agreed on at the time. He took a franchise that had just come off a playoff run and had it floundering for not two, for not three, for not even four, but for seven years, with no respite in between and no end in sight. By the time he finally got ****-canned, other teams like the Orioles and Padres had already gone into their rebuild later and emerged much earlier. Al crippled this organization so thoroughly that it was essentially still at the beginning of its rebuild when a new front office finally came in to clean up the mess.

Now, through the gauzy haze of memory, at a time when things are finally looking up two season later, people like Lynn Henning want to give Al more than half the credit for this ray of daylight, simply because out of the gaggle of players he drafted—not traded for, not signed internationally, not picked up off the waiver wire or free agent pile, but drafted, the only player acquisition channel he had even a little clue about—the new regime looks like they might be able to salvage a few. His friends who are writing the history are now casting him as the savvy hero who saved the franchise, instead of an out-of-his-depth Peter-Principled technocrat who ran it into the rocks. It’s a mass gaslighting gone berserk. 

So go ahead and give the guy credit if you like. At least I still remember how it really happened.

Al lost me when he didn't fire Brad. The whole world knew he had to fire him but Al had it planned out to use Ausmus as his sorry excuse for the Tigers struggles. As for having all those early picks? Drafting in baseball is very hard. Sometimes a high school are develops into an All Star. And many times, they fizzle out.

2 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

The Tigers have been a year away from contending for about 7 years now...🤣🤣

2025-2026 Lineup

1B- Torkelson
2B. - Keith
SS - Baez
3B - Jung
LF - Clark
CF - Meadows
RF - Greene
DH - ?????
C- ????

I think thats the pipe dream. I'd love for Dingler to be the Catcher of the future but don't think that'll happen. I don't think Kerry Carpenter is the real deal. I don't think Meadows is the real deal either. I hope I'm wrong. But taht's 4 spots that need to be replaced in the lineup. I'd throw Baez in there too but with his contract, he's going NO WHERE. 

With only 5 spots I feel comfortable with and thats being gracious to the young guys (especially Clark), thats my reasoning for another need of a true ball player.

A best case scenario is above and even that is dreaming for the most optimistic of us all.....

Meanwhile, we have MLB pitchers in:
Mize
Skubal
Maeda
Flaherty
Olson
Faedo 

with Madden, Montero, Flores and Gipson-Long right behind them.

We can and should be making a move now, but we need young guys. Next year we can play in Free Agency. Maybe we can snag Walker Beuhler in Free Agency. There's pieces here but we need more talent on the field every day..... 

2 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

Bringing Olson north is the right move.  He pitched better than Manning last year.  I felt it was between Mize and Manning all along.  They will all be needed eventually.  

Mize needs to build up his stamina after barely pitching the last 2 seasons. It's not really too big of a deal for Manning. He'll be up in May or so after a SP goes down. I mean, it's bound to happen, right? Either an injury or ineffectivness.

3 hours ago, TigerNation said:

You see that part where it says they were ranked #2 in the preseason prior?

Could you be more disingenuous when it comes to anything involving Avila?

TBF, Pipeline's rankings tend to be top-heavy, meaning they give more weight to the top of the system than to its depth. It's easier to be #2 when you have four top-five picks, including multiple 1/1s, in the system all at the same time after tanking the team for years. Obviously, it's harder to maintain that ranking when you graduate them and then don't have so many 1/1s anymore and you have to rely on your depth picks for your Pipeline rankings.

20 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

2 rainouts will change that. And if the Tigers were really serious about winning, Javy would have been cut. Kreidler outplayed him this spring. How many years do we have to carry Baez?

It sucks having Baez on the roster the next four years, but Kreidler has a .429 career OPS so far.  His upside is probably utility infielder.  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

It sucks having Baez on the roster the next four years, but Kreidler has a .429 career OPS so far.  His upside is probably utility infielder.  

Kreidler is another one the window is  closing on if he doesn't hit better when he gets to Toledo this yr. What's saving him for now is lack of much competition.

Edited by gehringer_2

1 hour ago, Tiger337 said:

You didn't like Matt Anderson and Eric Munson?  

If I were in a bar room brawl, I’d probably rather be on Anderson’s side as opposed to against him.  His hard but wild throwing probably means he’s a hot head if he sees you drinking something he doesn’t like.

Eric Munson is from San Diego, so he’s probably too chill to be in a bar room brawl. So actually, maybe I’d prefer hanging out with him.

Hmmmmm….. Munson was a C but got moved out to 1B.  Probably had something to do with trying to catch Anderson?  There might be some long standing bad vibes between the two.

You know what, I’m just going to stay home.  I don’t need to go to the bar.  Sounds potentially dangerous if Matt Anderson and Eric Munson are there.

Does that answer your question?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tiger337 said:

Kreidler might also have some upside as second-division starter, which may or may not be at shortstop. I think it’s possible he gets second or third billing on a significant trade we make at some point in the next couple of years.

2 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

I don't know if Javy's sticking around.     They certainly wouldn't cut him now, but if we're 50 games in and he's anything like this, they might just cut their losses.   I think the end of Spring Training tells a lot.   The end of Spring Training is when guys suddenly become available.  If they go and get a real Shortstop, even one that can hit .240 and be average on defense (that they can park in Toledo),  it might be a sign that they're willing to part with him.         It's been pretty close to an epic disaster so far, but there were some salvageable things in the first year (home runs), but not last year.  The defense, he's good but is he?  Really?   45 errors in two years, a .958 fielding pct.   Doesn't sound good to me.   If he's going to be this putrid at the plate, I think he's got to be better than that defensively, especially with ground ball pitchers and an iffy 2nd baseman.      The disaster didn't matter the last two years because they had no expectations, but this year they should have at least the expectation that they'll be within striking distance into September.  Especially in this division.  I don't think I'm the only one that believes you can win this division at .500.   If he's not bringing anything at all, then why keep going?    Sometimes it's best to just admit you made a mistake.   It ain't MY money.      

I really really hope he makes all this speculation useless by doing something.    There has to be shortstops out there somewhere.      Is career average (.256/.298/.744 with 20-25 HR) too much to ask?  

If you're hoping Chris puts money forth to sign a big name free agent in the future, this might be the reason why he doesn't.   But honestly, building from within is the way to go, anyway. 

Tigers bad free agent signings All-Time. 

1. Jordan Zimmermann

2. Javier Baez (as of now)

Who would be #3?   

Plus, keep in mind, he's not Scott Harris' signing.     Chris would have to okay a release. 

Maybe he gets an injury and solves everyone's problem.    But they still need an everyday shortstop other than Baez to be able to come in.      I sure hope that doesn't mean bringing Zack Short back.   Can we aim higher? 

48 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Plus, keep in mind, he's not Scott Harris' signing.     Chris would have to okay a release. 

Maybe he gets an injury and solves everyone's problem.    But they still need an everyday shortstop other than Baez to be able to come in.      I sure hope that doesn't mean bringing Zack Short back.   Can we aim higher? 

This is the always the $64 question when it comes to Baez: is there somebody better available to replace him? Because if there’s one thing the Tigers won’t do, it’s cut Baez out of frustration, or to punish him, either of which would be fan thinking. So only when we have someone better in-house will we even consider just cutting Baez loose. And shortstops better than Baez aren’t walking around unemployed. Even the worst shortstop in the major leagues is better than all the freely-available alternatives.

Edited by chasfh

8 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Does anyone who has purchased MLB TV know if the radio broadcasts are included, or have to be purchased separately?  Recently took a hybrid job in the Chicago burbs and want to be able to get the Tigers on the tee-vee and radio.

You can choose the radio feed instead of the TV feed, and you can also choose the radio feed under the video feed, both through audio options during the broadcast.

7 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

Bringing Olson north is the right move.  He pitched better than Manning last year.  I felt it was between Mize and Manning all along.  They will all be needed eventually.  

I'm a fan of Manning. I think there is a lot upside in there - but he's got to show it. While the other guys kept building this Spring he sort of plateaued, the last two starts being pretty meh, so I'm not going to complain about the move. I'm a little surprised because the service time and experience factors would have favored sending Olson back if all things were equal, but if Olson gets to super 2 is not my money!

9 hours ago, TigerNation said:

You see that part where it says they were ranked #2 in the preseason prior?

Could you be more disingenuous when it comes to anything involving Avila?

Chas is being pure disingenuous.

Pure hypocrisy since he's lashing out at all of us "history revisionists..."

Here is he ranking of every Org for the past 10 years, by Baseball America:

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/mlb-farm-system-rankings-for-every-team-in-the-21st-century/

To whit:

Detroit 2015: 30th

Detroit 2016: 26th

Detroit 2017: 25th

Detroit 2018: 21st

Detroit 2019: 14th

Detroit 2020: 11th

Detroit 2021: 3rd (Greene & Torkelson)

Detroit 2022: 6th (Greene & Torkelson start to graduate)

Detroit 2023: 27th (no more Greene & Torkelson as prospects; Jobe & Keith haven't broken out yet; Clark not yet drafted)

Detroit 2024: 5th

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I'm a fan of Manning. I think there is a lot upside in there - but he's got to show it. While the other guys kept building this Spring he sort of plateaued, the last two starts being pretty meh, so I'm not going to complain about the move. I'm a little surprised because the service time and experience factors would have favored sending Olson back if all things were equal, but if Olson gets to super 2 is not my money!

Whomever they send down (I think it'll be Red Cheeks), I think that person will likely be in the rotation by April 15th.    It's been a parade of injuries for starting pitchers and the Tigers fans are the ones walking behind with giant shovels to pick up the poop.   

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

This is the always the $64 question when it comes to Baez: is there somebody better available to replace him? Because if there’s one thing the Tigers won’t do, it’s cut Baez out of frustration, or to punish him, either of which would be fan thinking. So only when we have someone better in-house will we even consider just cutting Baez loose. And shortstops better than Baez aren’t walking around unemployed. Even the worst shortstop in the major leagues is better than all the freely-available alternatives.

Aren't Dawel Lugo, Jose King or Sergio Alcantara ready yet?       (worst Tiger trade in my lifetime)