2024 Detroit Tigers Spring Training Thread

38 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

Chas is being pure disingenuous.

Pure hypocrisy since he's lashing out at all of us "history revisionists..."

Here is he ranking of every Org for the past 10 years, by Baseball America:

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/mlb-farm-system-rankings-for-every-team-in-the-21st-century/

To whit:

Detroit 2015: 30th

Detroit 2016: 26th

Detroit 2017: 25th

Detroit 2018: 21st

Detroit 2019: 14th

Detroit 2020: 11th

Detroit 2021: 3rd (Greene & Torkelson)

Detroit 2022: 6th (Greene & Torkelson start to graduate)

Detroit 2023: 27th (no more Greene & Torkelson as prospects; Jobe & Keith haven't broken out yet; Clark not yet drafted)

Detroit 2024: 5th

All Scott Harris.  

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

What's left to decide,  1 or 2 bullpen spots, or is that sewn up?    We know the 13 position players.   We know the rotation.   

Last 2 bullpen spots are yet to be decided. 

For what it's worth, Wentz and Diaz are both out of options.  

51 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

And, of course, Brieske and Faedo have pitched better.

35 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I think it's Faedo and Wentz that make it.     Wentz because he's left-handed and breathing. 

I think Faedo goes to Toledo because he is the better candidate to be the Tiger 7th starter behind Manning as #6. We complain about roster decisions made because of options but it is what it is, it is a powerful motivation to keep Wentz at least initially. If Wentz isn't good you can always convert Faedo to short work on the fly.

I could see Diaz because he's a little more experienced and maybe adds some stability/calm out there, but they have Miller and Chafin as elder statesmen so I'd go with Brieske.

A few thoughts on the upcoming season;

1. The team that comes north will probably look much different than the team this summer. There are usually several call-ups during May and June. Injuries and ineffectiveness.

2. We'll see what players think about playing in 40⁰ weather next week. All that training down in 80⁰ Florida is fun but does it really get them ready for the first 6 weeks or so of really cold weather?

3. For the last 2 or 3 years, all I've heard, over and over, is how we'll have so much money to spend on some quality players once we shed Cabrera's contract. What did we add? A journeyman outfielder who's upside is that he's good at.....getting hit by pitches? And Tiger fans are making excuses for Scott Harris? Yeah, OK...maybe next year we'll spend money on some players.

4. Our Starting Pitchers look ready to compete. Yes, we have a few quality arms. But let's get thru the first 6 weeks without any injuries. Our team has been destroyed by pitchers injuries the last few years. The top 3 pitchers in the minor leagues better stay ready. 

5. And finally, our bullpen. Believe it or not, this is what will determine whether we finish close to .500 or not. Hopefully, our SP will keep us in games. But our anemic offense may mean our BP arms are the difference between being a decent team or being a bottom feeder.

All in all...this team will struggle to get to .500. Getting off to another horrible start may have fans calling for Hinch to be fired.

I'm not sure if Torkelson is standing even straighter up than he used to or not. The Tigers are currently a big fan of that stance in terms of swing path, but the downside is it puts your head a long way away from down and away and down and away is just what Tork is not seeing right now.

Edited by gehringer_2

1 hour ago, 1776 said:

My primary concern is the total lack of offense from Torkelson and Baez. Offense in general is a concern as well for me.

If we’ve learned any one thing over the years, it’s that spring training means nothing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Longgone said:

If we’ve learned any one thing over the years, it’s that spring training means nothing.

yes, We go through this every year.  The Spring stats will be forgotten by the end of the first inning of opening day.  There is reason to be concerned about the offense, but it's not because of sprining training performance.  

Tork and Baez both did well hitting in the split squad games today against the Yankees and the Blue Jays, each of which the Tigers won by scoring 10 runs or more. I hope the alchemy of the analytic synergy being produced this spring extends into the regular season. 

2 hours ago, Longgone said:

It might have meant something for a few players that were on the fence between Detroit and Toledo.  But even then, I’m not sure stats would be the solely defining measurement for those players.

45 minutes ago, casimir said:

It might have meant something for a few players that were on the fence between Detroit and Toledo.  But even then, I’m not sure stats would be the solely defining measurement for those players.

I think Hinch has been clear they do grade ABs but that that grade doesn't necessarily correspond to the game value result of the AB. So I guess you could say guys are still graded on a set of stats, but they're not the stats we see. Same kind of thing hold for the pitching.

22 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I think Hinch has been clear they do grade ABs but that that grade doesn't necessarily correspond to the game value result of the AB. So I guess you could say guys are still graded on a set of stats, but they're not the stats we see. Same kind of thing hold for the pitching.

And they are evaluating the progression of abilities throughout the fall and spring, not just games.

38 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Im not going to say Spring Training stats are useless but I think unless you truly break them down or look closely at each at bat they can be extremely misleading which is why I doubt many teams put too much stock in them when deciding on who to keep.

Extreme situation but for simplicity sake lets say a guy could go 10-10 against pitchers that are destined for the minor leagues but goes 0-20 against actual major league pitching. Yeah as a whole their stat line wouldn't look bad but if you looked deeper at the numbers or followed every at bat you would see that he probably isn't ready or has what it takes to hit major league pitching.

12 hours ago, Longgone said:

And they are evaluating the progression of abilities throughout the fall and spring, not just games.

It's everything they do in games, on the back fields, in practice sessions. It's the mechanical changes and adjustments they have made, overall health and conditioning, mental stamina, everything. It's not results at all, but the estimation of capabilities vs. the competition in providing team needs.

• Like 1