2024 MLB Thread

7 minutes ago, tiger2022 said:

Whe ever I think how pathetic an organization the Tigers are, I can always look at the Angels of the past 5 years and know they had 2 of the greatest players ever and still sucked.

8 hours ago, Hongbit said:

Why not go all the back 50 years before trout and ohtani played while you're at it.  They have 9 seasons in a row with a losing record.  Not sure what going back to 2000 has to do with trout and ohtani, but don't let those facts get in the way.

No different than saying this iteration of the Tigers don't suck, because they won the WS in 1984.

Edited by tiger2022

49 minutes ago, casimir said:

That Daniel Norris game thread was bonkers.  The game was at Wrigley, which usually gets a fair number of Tiger fans in attendance.

Didn't he get hurt with a rib injury shortly after?

1 hour ago, Hongbit said:

I saw Daniel Norris get that home run live at Wrigley Field! I don’t remember whether I contemplated that might be the only time I would ever see a Tigers pitcher hit a home run live.

I remember taking Norris with the 3rd pick in our adopt a Tiger draft back in 2016. I also remember the last series of the year in 2016 against the Braves I believe where we still had an outside chance at the WC he went out and dominated. His stuff was so electric, I vividly remember posing the hypothetical question in the game thread of "Would you take Norris over Fulmer going forward?" due to the stuff he was featuring then. 

So with Willie Mays passing away who is the great living player?

You have the controversial take for people like Bonds and ARod.  Mike Schmidt?  Johnny Bench?  Rickey Henderson?

Bonds is the greatest player I have ever seen.  During his playing days 85% of the players were on roids.  He was just better.  And taking roids doesn't suddenly make you a great hitter, and he had the quickest bat around.  I also believe he started taking roids after Sosa and Mcguire had their HR runs.  You could make the case that since MLB was happy for the home run chase and openly welcomed roid use, he didn't do anything that was frowned down upon.   It was only after the fact that MLB suddenly decided roids were evil.

But if you don't want to acknowledge Bonds, Pujols has a case.

8 minutes ago, oblong said:

So with Willie Mays passing away who is the great living player?

You have the controversial take for people like Bonds and ARod.  Mike Schmidt?  Johnny Bench?  Rickey Henderson?

Bonds for me for sure but if you want to throw him and other steroid guys out then I'd go with Pujols just cause of the value I put on your prime and hitting. You could also make a strong case for guys like Maddux and Randy Johnson if you wanted to go with pitchers. 

5 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Bonds for me for sure but if you want to throw him and other steroid guys out then I'd go with Pujols just cause of the value I put on your prime and hitting. You could also make a strong case for guys like Maddux and Randy Johnson if you wanted to go with pitchers. 

The best living pitcher is still playing - Verlander.

If you ask me the 'greatest player' question I formulate the answer in terms of who I would take 1st to build a team around, and it would have to be ARod. As good a bat as anyone other than Bonds plus defense at either of 2 premuim positions.

Hands down it would be Bonds. To me, the "greatest" could do everything at the highest level. Bonds was an exceptional fielder for most of his career, many gold gloves. He could steal bases, and was a good base runner. And of course, the hitting. Last, I think you have to be able to do all that for a period of 15 years plus. Arod would probably be 2nd on my list. Ichro would also be up there. If he can produce like he has for another 10 years, Ohtoni might blow them all away.

46 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I remember taking Norris with the 3rd pick in our adopt a Tiger draft back in 2016. I also remember the last series of the year in 2016 against the Braves I believe where we still had an outside chance at the WC he went out and dominated. His stuff was so electric, I vividly remember posing the hypothetical question in the game thread of "Would you take Norris over Fulmer going forward?" due to the stuff he was featuring then. 

When Norris 1st came over from Toronto his fastball was electric. His arm had potential star stamped all over it. But injuries and the inability to ever solve his mechanics issues were the end of that.

9 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

The best living pitcher is still playing - Verlander.

If you ask me the 'greatest player' question I formulate the answer in terms of who I would take 1st to build a team around, and it would have to be ARod. As good a bat as anyone other than Bonds plus defense at either of 2 premuim positions.

He isnt even the best pitcher still active.  

Kershaw is by far the greatest active pitcher and you can make a case that Scherzer is better. 

Roger Clemens is the greatest pitcher of all time, in my opinion.

Johnson and Maddux have to rate much higher than Verlander.  

Pedro Martinez was so much better than his peers for about 5 or 6 years straight that he has to be in the conversation.

Sandy Koufax is still alive.

Edited by tiger2022