2024 MLB Thread

Regarding uniforms... there was controversy in the 60s with regards to the stirrup.  In particular the Latin and Black players began cutting their socks to show more of the stirrup that they would wear over their sanitary socks.  The old timers and traditionalists at the time didn't like that.  Jim Bouton talked about this in Ball Four.   Eventually most players in the 70s and 80s displayed the long narrow stirrup.The ironic part of course is fast forward 30-40 years and once again the traditionalists are complaining about them NOT wearing the uniform the way that the "flashy" players in the 60's started doing it.

5 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

My condolences to anyone who hasn't been able to forget all memory of the 2003 team.

We thought it was a lock for Clemens to win his 300th game that night.  How often do you get to see something like that?  Bonderman did his part by getting crushed.   Gene Kingsdale hit the tying HR.  Dude had 3 in his career.  The Tigers even let everyone down who were there to see a rare feat happen.

Edited by tiger2022

6 hours ago, tiger2022 said:

I was at the game in 2003 when Clemens had 299 wins.  The Yankees were up 7-1 in the 5th and then Soriano made 2 errors and Jeter made an error.  It was 7-6 at the end of 5.  In the bottom of the 6th, the Yankee reliever gave up the tying home run.  Everyone left the game.  I think the Yankees won in the 17th inning.  It was standing room only.  Attendance was something like 44k.

I also saw a Clemens start when he had 299 wins. The Cubs' starter was Kerry Wood, who was still considered hot stuff at the time, and it turned out to be the Hee-Seop Choi game.

https://sabr.org/gamesproj/game/june-7-2003-hee-seop-chois-injury-overshadows-wood-clemens-pitching-duel-at-wrigley/

4 hours ago, oblong said:

Regarding uniforms... there was controversy in the 60s with regards to the stirrup.  In particular the Latin and Black players began cutting their socks to show more of the stirrup that they would wear over their sanitary socks.  The old timers and traditionalists at the time didn't like that.  Jim Bouton talked about this in Ball Four.   Eventually most players in the 70s and 80s displayed the long narrow stirrup.The ironic part of course is fast forward 30-40 years and once again the traditionalists are complaining about them NOT wearing the uniform the way that the "flashy" players in the 60's started doing it.

Just serves to remind us that every generation has its own traditions, and every tradition started out as heresy.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, chasfh said:

I know we all hate the All-Star uniform so I won’t litigate that here. What I am getting a sense of it that Baseball is trying to erase the association between player and team, and distinctions between leagues, in a bid to make the sport more like the NBA, that is, personality-driven and not team-driven. That’s why I think players will never wear their regular uniforms in the All Star game again, and why MLB.com defaults to MLB leaders and not AL and NL leaders, and why the Savant does not even show the team name next to the players on their lists. 

I think this is mostly right, but doesn't having all players in a league wearing the same uniform enhance the distinction between leagues?

1 minute ago, Tiger337 said:

I think this is mostly right, but doesn't having all players in a league wearing the same uniform enhance the distinction between leagues?

Perhaps only because they haven't figured out a way to divide the All-Star teams in any different way. They tried the USA vs the World thing in the Futures game until it finally, finally, dawned on them how icky it sounds. Maybe at some point they will appoint captains and name teams after them, such as Team Judge vs. Team Ohtani. They do that in the NBA, right?

But even still leaning into the AL vs NL distinction, they apparently designed the uniforms to erase as much identification with players' teams as they could manage to get away with, even on the caps. I find that offensive, but then, I am very old and they already got me anyway, so they don't have to target anything to me anymore.

I would like to see the AL uniform fully sponsored by Draft Kings and the NL by FanDuel.  Full company colors and logos across the front.  Every dollar bet on the game gets a donation to Stand Up For Cancer and the Pete Rose Foundation.    It’s the future.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Hongbit said:

I would like to see the AL uniform fully sponsored by Draft Kings and the NL by FanDuel.  Full company colors and logos across the front.  Every dollar bet on the game gets a donation to Stand Up For Cancer and the Pete Rose Foundation.    It’s the future.

I suspect your sarcasm just might become reality.

I'm unfamiliar with the Tampa-St. Pete area but I remember the old narrative about low Rays attendance was not only due to the park being crappy but the location in St. Pete vs. being in Tampa. Any truth to that? If there is I don't see how a new stadium would really help things if it's in the same location, might boost things the first year but after the new car smell is gone if it's still a hassle for most folks to get to then it seems like they will have the same issues. 

1 minute ago, RandyMarsh said:

I'm unfamiliar with the Tampa-St. Pete area but I remember the old narrative about low Rays attendance was not only due to the park being crappy but the location in St. Pete vs. being in Tampa. Any truth to that? If there is I don't see how a new stadium would really help things if it's in the same location, might boost things the first year but after the new car smell is gone if it's still a hassle for most folks to get to then it seems like they will have the same issues. 

It's actually a little ways from Tampa. But where it's located, it's hard to get into. There are two big parking lots and one main road leading out. So it gets backed up easily.

It is remarkable how small it actually is as well. There's literally like 20 rows in the OF total.... I remember thinking if I was going to sit in the OF, no matter where I sat, I was taking my glove for protection because any HR could reach the farthest back row. They needed an upgrade pretty bad. 

Now in terms of people showing up, hopefully more people will turn out with a new stadium. I'm not a Rays person by any means so I can't speak of the people in the area going to games. I just made the trek down a few times to see Longoria and what not. It's easy for them to "sell out" though because their stadium is so small..... 

The stadium is a step closer to finalized but not done yet, it has one more vote to pass.

The Trop is one of the worst stadiums in  MLB imo, I've been to 75% of them.

Even with a new stadium not sure how well a team in St Pete, even Tampa for that matter will draw. I've worked with two consultants on the new stadium lots of VE'ing to do in regards to the renderings above.

Edited by SkyBlue

4 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Does that make the new stadium official then? If so with that and the potential A's move to Vegas that would make Comerica Park the 11th OLDEST stadium in the majors. Kinda wild to think about. 

Ilitch should be starting to put the pressure on Detroit and Michigan to build him a new stadium.